Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Seems to be the usual mixed bag of people reporting it works wonders vs reporting it broke everything. I guess the only way to know is to try it and see. I think there's just a bunch of idiots out there who simply don't know what they're doing and are firing blind tweaks at it for no real reason.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Seems to be the usual mixed bag of people reporting it works wonders vs reporting it broke everything. I guess the only way to know is to try it and see. I think there's just a bunch of idiots out there who simply don't know what they're doing and are firing blind tweaks at it for no real reason.
Yep.

Yep.

Indeed. Not the best sample of humanity on the Skyrim forums! lmao.gif

Well, I've decided to give this one a go myself. That and I want to get civ installed on two computers so I can LAN it up with my brother.

As you Steam-ophiles will probably notice, I've put in some time and the game even recorded some achievements I wouldn't have expected it to after this much time. So far so good, stable, no issues, but only just shy of 4 hours so far. Of note, the damned thing updated me without my consent the second the client launched. Not just the game either. It forced a client update along with that.Also of note, it forces you to pass through the main game launcher now which I'd really have preferred it not do. If I click my icon that's shortcutted to the main exe, I'm doing so with the express intent of NOT using the launcher to do so. Whoever thought this up should be flogged, because it raises the chance of a mishap with the ini file I don't want it fucking with. You want to launch your silly Steam spyware behind that, fine, do it, but leave the damned bugged to hell game launcher out of it, please?

If you're using the SKSE launcher, you CAN just start Steam up, then use your SKSE shortcut. Kind of silly, obviously, but it does work correctly and gets you out from under the vanilla launcher's tyrannical grasp.[edit] Also, that said, something in the SKSE/SkyUI combo was giving me random CTDs, so I switched back to vanilla and am basically fine.

had forgotten how mush I hated 8 bit.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQmYF35w74&feature=relatedHeh heh.

Dear Windhelm: Y U so lame?Seriously, I hate that place. Every other city is more interesting than it is, and looks miles better too.Also, getting these last 9 points of lockpicking is annoying. Hey, everyone in the world, I'm not actually here to rob your house, I'm just picking your front door as a, er, hobby. Yes.

Bethesda does this on purpose. I bet they have a 4chan person on staff just to cook up stuff that will become memes.Arrow in the knee, criminal scum, you name it. Also:cad-20111209-d88fa.png

This came by recently.I would think it to be a virus or a joke mod if it was not for ianpatt's endorsement, and it also brings to light some rather poor practice in Bethesda's development, where it seems that actually send the game code out unoptimized on purpose.It is a DLL plugin meant to streamline the game's CPU usage.Right now, though, the download is trash, it just causes the game to crash the instant you load it due to an oversight on the author's part (DLL is being injected pre-Steam decryption instead of post-decryption like it should). The reason the author got it to work at all is because he... kinda already decrypted the EXE when loading the DLL.And since that's an obvious DRM bypass, I would not recommend you do the same.

Had Ian not popped in to give the ok there's no way I'd have trusted something like that. Especially given that it was developed against a pirated EXE file.It appears as though Ian is helping him get it converted to a SKSE plugin, which would be awesome as hell if the thing does what it claims. I somehow fail to be surprised that Bethesda "forgot" to turn their optimizer flags back on.

I think I'll check it out actually. The guy edited his post this morning. It's now a SKSE plugin. My machine crawls when I'm in Markarth, so I'd like to see how this does.

It works. It really does. The most accurate estimate I can get is that just by optimizing some x87 calls and inlining some of the code, you get a 25% boost to framerates. With no ill effects.Effectively, what this guy has just done is call Bethesda out on their poor coding practices. Imagine how much this game would run if bethesda actually gave a shit about making sure the code was optimized. According to Arisu, there is one optimization (removal of 5-byte redundancies) missing that if present, might provide a 100% boost to performance.I say, lets keep this visible in the official forums. Bethesda needs to know that we know they failed to perform even basic five-second optimizations on their code and we do not appreciate the engine being hamstrung by their laziness. I foresee maybe an article in PC Gamer about this in the future. This is what the guy who authored the DLL wants, to create a demand for code optimization extreme enough to force Bethesda to respond.

I'll give it a try too, once I get back from seeing family for Christmas anyway. If they can do this for Skyrim, though, why can't they do this for Oblivion?

To be fair, this isn't a basic 5 second thing. They would need to recompile the entire codebase from the ground up. That alone, depending on the size, could take a couple of DAYS. Then, rightly so, it would need to be put through a proper QA cycle to be sure none of the code optimization flags they'd need to use have caused any unknown bugs to surface. So while I *DO* want Bethesda to implement this properly for the PC platform, I *DO NOT* want to see this rushed out without thinking either.One must keep in mind as well that depending on how the compiler handles it, optimizing might break the use of SKSE and/or Script Dragon in a way that would make it impossible for them to get it working again. All things have a price. Are we prepared to trade 5-10fps for being stuck without script extension support?Also, they could do this for Oblivion too, but it carries all of the same risks and would require a proper QA cycle as well. OSR is probably as good as this is going to get for now unless SkyRanger wants to talk with this other guy about updating it.

To be fair' date=' this isn't a basic 5 second thing. They would need to recompile the entire codebase from the ground up. That alone, depending on the size, could take a couple of DAYS. Then, rightly so, it would need to be put through a proper QA cycle to be sure none of the code optimization flags they'd need to use have caused any unknown bugs to surface. So while I *DO* want Bethesda to implement this properly for the PC platform, I *DO NOT* want to see this rushed out without thinking either.

One must keep in mind as well that depending on how the compiler handles it, optimizing might break the use of SKSE and/or Script Dragon in a way that would make it impossible for them to get it working again. All things have a price. Are we prepared to trade 5-10fps for being stuck without script extension support?

Also, they could do this for Oblivion too, but it carries all of the same risks and would require a proper QA cycle as well. OSR is probably as good as this is going to get for now unless SkyRanger wants to talk with this other guy about updating it.[/quote']Fair enough, but I still think it's worth a shot, at least.

The first rel thread on that plugin got locked after it reached post limit. I got Arisu's permission to start up a second thread since it is a helpful plugin.

You might want to include some sort of description of what it does in your post. My rig is apparently beastly enough that it hasn't made a noticeable difference anywhere yet, but I'll poke my way back to Hag's End before too long. Assuming that's the area I'm thinking it is that lagged me to death before.

Best places to test are at the steps to Dragonsreach overlooking Whiterun and that spot in Markarth the murders everyone's framerates no matter how beastly the rig. The improvements are most noticeable there.

Dragonsreach has never impacted anything for me, and I'm afraid I don't know where "that spot in Markarth" is. My rig can't be so beastly that nobody else matches it. Perhaps since I'm not obsessed with frame rates I won't notice as much? For whatever it is worth though, it does "feel" a bit smoother around the edges and hasn't shown any signs of breaking things.