Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Gamespy seems to believe they have a scoop on confirmation for TES:V. A direct sequel to Oblivion no less. Not sure exactly how that fits in with their Infernal City book, or where in Tamriel this game will be taking place - or even if it's in Tamriel for that matter. Rumors fuel the net though, so if you've got some juicy speculation, let's hear it.My personal guess is that they'll be doing Skyrim. Based on the fact that they trademarked the name and registered domain assets for it, along with the number of rumors in Oblivion itself that the Nords are on the march of conquest again. I'm not sure how much ice and snow we can all put up with, but Skyrim is as good a place as any.The Gameinformer Skyrim Hub

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

"Dragon Lord"? :huh: :blink:"Something to do with The Blades" ?Not insightful but enough to get the speculation threads running rampant, I guess. I've not heard any new rumors yet.The only way I can see a 'sequel' is a new heir popping up suddenly. That would be kinda odd.

Well here's the Eurogamer article.

chronological sequel to what happened in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
That phrase seems to be tripping some people up. Considering Oblivion is a chronological sequel to Morrowind. Only 6 years passed between the end of those events and the Daedric invasion. So calling it a "sequel" might be a stretch, or simply a collapse in translation from the original Danish version of the article.I'd be skeptical right now. The "source" for this article could have been a fake. If things were truly this far along, Bethesda would have a prerelease site up for it already. They teased FO3 for nearly a year before it went official. With Bethesda, you only know for sure once a new forum section is opened for it.I suppose it's probably a good thing that we do have confirmation from Tod Howard that whenever it comes, it'll be on a better version of the engine. I'd still rather seem them ditch Gamebryo for something that actually works right though.

I don't know much about the situation, I've certainly never really looked into the Lore, but as for how much ice & snow we can all handle, remember Icewind Dale? (The link is just in case y'all wanna spend $10 to download a copy with both expansions to refresh your memories and get yourselves ready for the blizzard... :P)

• 3 weeks later...

Todd Howard was just on a video game awards on Spike and announced the following:grond said: (Today, 08:22 PM) 11-11-11 ES V / SKYRIM! Dunno, may have been a joke on Todd's part.Edit: Speculation FTW.Holy shit: Trailer

The trailer linked to in that first post seems pretty conclusive. Skyrim, 11/11/11, now with bad voice acting.

I thought the pauses in the script felt almost disjointed (perhaps that's what Dwip meant about the bad voice acting?) and, while I'm thrilled with the idea that they're introducing dragons, the overall trailer didn't give me chills but pause. (Frankly, the depiction of dragon fire as cheesy ribbon waves definitely was a turn off.) Hopefully it's as good as Oblivion is, but I think I'll be letting y'all buy the pre-release copies and I'll wait to hear your raves in reviews before I go buy a copy. :shrug:

Oh hell yeah. Also, called it, not that it was hard to call. Skyrim baby.I think you guys are being far to harsh about the voice acting, and far too harsh about the dragon fire depiction. Surely you could tell it was a depiction of a dragon breathing? As in the stone itself telling the story?Anyway, yeah. Although I don't see how 11/11/11 could be considered a "short time" in terms of how quickly they said it would go from first tease to full release.BTW, it's about damn time we get to see some dragons. You have no idea how long I've been waiting to get to see one in this series. The Bethesda thread filled up 11 pages since 5pm too :PAlso, it appears the normally silly speculation thread guys called the significance of the forum code upgrade last week too claiming the upgrade signaled the coming of TES V. Seems they were right, the forum section being open now and all. It's gonna be a LONG 11 months.

Eh, maybe, but the scripting was pretty disjointed feeling, I actually stopped the video and waited til it had finished downloading so I could restart it to see if it was just my shoddy internet. Alas, it wasn't.Well, yeah, I guess so, but it the fire wasn't rock-like and it wasn't fire-like... it was cheesy ribbon-like, it reminded me of some Halloween novelty I'd seen at Spencers a few years ago. :(I suppose it's less than a year. ;) :shrug:You're right, I have no idea, but I definitely agree, dragons feel long overdue even to me, I can only imagine how you must be feeling about 'em.

Some fairly clever and well versed lore people are of the opinion that 11/11/11 is rather significant in game lore terms.

Hortator and Sharmat, one and one, eleven, an inelegant number. Which of the ones is the more important? Could you ever tell if they switched places?
Not to mention the fact that the release was announced 11 months prior to it happening. Bethesda appears to be milking this one really well.Oh, and can anyone figure out the name of the "dragon born"? It sounds like "Dovakeen" but there's a few different spellings floating around.Yep, Dovahkiin. Someone spotted it in foreign language subtitles.Also, some rather interesting speculation about Thurindil in Anvil, the guy who speaks the line in my sig. Some possibility of that actually being a prophetic statement.

Some fairly clever and well versed lore people are of the opinion that 11/11/11 is rather significant in game lore terms.[...]Not to mention the fact that the release was announced 11 months prior to it happening. Bethesda appears to be milking this one really well.
I don't know nearly enough of the game lore to comment on most of what you've said, but I'll definitely agree that Bethesda's clearly milking it for all it's worth. :lol:

I don't know a huge amount about it either, but that passage is quoted from one of the sermons of Vivec, so the release data chosen is no accident, nor is the fact that they chose to announce it EXACTLY 11 months prior to the release date.Goes without saying that it's renewed a whole bunch of peoples' interest in ES, and it's jump started my desire to go back to working on getting Faregyl sorted out for its update. Dwip should be happy :PI wonder if there'll be enough of Cyrodiil available past the game borders to give Feldscar a place there with village lore updates to suit. If so, ya'll can count on that being one of my first mods for Skyrim. You heard it here first :)

Oh, they changed the UESPWiki page. At first they had the Dragonborn's name as Novahk-leen (or something like that). Wonder who changed it and if they only did so because of the posts at BGS. Nobody could figure that out just by listening to it. Also have to wonder who's "tongue" that is?I also don't have a clue what that lore quote means. I've never heard of it or those people. A Morrowind quote? A trailer with both Morrowind and Oblivion music? Is Skyrim going to be the last culmination of all Elder Scrolls? Hmmm..All those 11's is interesting. It could have some significant meaning or be completely meaningless - a good PR campaign. I thought 11 was meaningful to Elven cultures, yet Skyrim is a definite Nord culture. I'm trying not to read too much into anything at this point like some people until they at least show us some gameplay pics. Although I must say, looking at the wall closer on the elderscrolls site, the Greybeards, the very large Mage type guy and the obvious fighter Dragonborn... I can't help but think LoTR and I really hope it's not like that.I hope it's not a "dragons are evil, go kill them all" scenario either. Extremely cliche and done to death.As for my comment on the bad voice over, I can't speak for Dwip, but a 90-year-old slurring his way through a paragraph isn't my idea of a good voice over. Sorry. Nothing to do with the dramatic pauses, that was good. The fire breathing dragon? Yeah, it's just a trailer, it's not even part of the game, so little cheesy ribbon waves worked for me. :shrug:On an off topic note: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DWIP!

@Samson: :huh: But, but, but... you're our lore expert here! :blink:Oh, no doubt. :lol: (Yes, the completion of Faregyl might please more than just Dwip. ;))I hope so, and so noted. :)@Hana:Probably was because of the BGS chatter.A final chapter to the Elder Scrolls storyline? Now that would be surprising. I figured Bethesda was enjoying the massive popularity of the Elder Scrolls series too much to bring it to an end.I don't know about it's relation to game lore, but you can bet that next Veteran's Day will have a ton of real life hype everywhere for all sorts of reasons, but most of all with retailers... There are a LOT of superstitious people in the world who are going to be getting all kinds of hyped up over the auspiciousness of the eleventh minute of the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the eleventh year and such... :rolleyes:It is pretty cliche and has been overdone to death, but it really wouldn't surprise me at all. It's much easier to code a game to have straightforward premise like all dragons are evil than to have a variety of dragon types with individual personality types spread amongst each.:shrug: I hadn't tried to see who'd done the actual voice over and it didn't sound like a 90 year old to me particularly, though slurring does sound like a reasonable description of it. Given the size of the minute and a half trailer and the state of modern graphics, I just felt like the little cheesy ribbon waves were a poor depiction and don't provide much promise for the in-game graphics. Usually trailers have better graphics than the actual game itself. :(Yeah, I tried to say happy birthday over at the rabbit's blog but apparently it won't show my image file, so, Dwip: bday.gif

The Dovahkiin thing isn't just based on speculative posts. Someone said that's how the name is spelled in the foreign subtitles for the video, in more than one language, so it's probably right. Besides, when I watched the trailer, it sounded like that rather than "Nova" anything.Ah, ok, confirmation from the mother ship itself: http://twitter.com/Bethblog It's Dovahkiin.I don't know what the lore quote means either, but the fact that it's part of one of Vivec's sermons and deals with the whole 11 thing tells me someone over there at Bethesda has been working overtime on lore in some way. Assuming it's relevant at all. What's certain in my mind either way is that 11/11/11 wasn't chosen on a whim. I think it would be even more telling if they actually waited for precisely 11:11:11am to make it all nice and official.All evil dragons would be cliche, but not unexpected. It all depends on how they go about it. It'll either be epic or a flop. Now if they have some that aren't evil, so much the better.I think you guys are being far too harsh on the voiceover.And Happy Birthday Dwip :)

Oh, and apparently Gamebryo is finally going to die the death it's deserved for years now. Thank the Nine! Let's just hope they don't forget about us poor slobs who want to mod the game.

That doesn't mean they're not still using it.Or if they aren't, would that mean a whole new construction set and nothing compatible?

Thanks y'all.Hanaisse and I are basically in accord re: trailer. Did not appreciate the voice.Gamebryo's dead, eh? That's going to make modeling interesting. What are they replacing it with, I wonder.And it's a certainty anyway that nobody's Oblivion mod will be compatable out of the box anyway, so.

When they say "brand new" and other sources confirm it's an in-house engine, I take that to mean Gamebryo is well and truly dead. Given that the company that makes Gamebryo went bankrupt, it makes sense that Bethesda dropped it.Given that they now have the ID guys available I'd expect that any engine development they're doing will at least be guided in some way by them.Whatever it is, it's about time, and hopefully we've seen the last of the bugs Gamebryo brought to the table. Now we get to deal with all new bugs :P At the very least, no more ridiculous LOD system.I'm pretty sure modding itself won't be tossed aside either, but yeah, you 3D gurus are probably going to have to forget everything you know. No more .nif files. Who's to say right now if that's bad or good. No way to know if even the texture files will remain in the same format. Or even if the game's archive files will still be BSAs or something else entirely.I wouldn't have expected Oblivion mods to be compatible out of the box. It's a major anomaly for FO3 stuff to be compatible with F:NV and that was only because Obsidian recycled the entire data set from FO3. The resulting mash of bugs certainly proves it was a bad move.

Hey now, don't be too quick to dismiss the LOD system, if they're using something in-house and getting help from the ID guys they may still feel that the LOD system was a feature rather than a bug and incorporate it into the new system too. Cross your fingers and hope for the best, just don't count on blessings that haven't materialized yet.Meh, you've got still got 11 months before the new game even releases and you'll still have folks playing Oblivion for years yet, I wouldn't suddenly start forgetting all you've learned about modding under Oblivion just yet.. and I certainly wouldn't go scrapping any WIPs either.

Ridiculous LOD system as in crappy - not that I want them to remove it entirely because that would suck ass. I don't want to have to take on the task of doing RAEVWD for Skyrim is all. Make the game engine do all that work for you, like it does in Gothic 4.As far as forgetting everything about Oblivion modding, of course that won't happen. It's just that with the meshes and such it's going to be far more likely that most of the big names in the field will move on because Skyrim is new and exciting and .nif files are old and crusty.Nobody said anything about scrapping WiPs. If anything, Skyrim's announcement just breathed a huge amount of new life into Oblivion modding because people can tailor stuff to fit what they think Skyrim will be about. I'm certainly not scrapping any of mine. After all, nobody up and quit modding for Morrowind once Oblivion came out, and they're STILL modding Morrowind to this day.

Re. LOD: Ah, understood then. Hopefully you get your wish out of that one, just don't be too shocked if LOD works nearly the same in Skyrim as it did in Oblivion, if I were on the dev team I wouldn't want to have to start anything over from scratch that didn't absolutely gave to be restarted the hard way. Just saying... :shrug:Re. Modding, huh?: Even just the graphics aspect, those nif files aren't going to change for Oblivion even if shiny Skyrim comes out. ;)Re. WiPs: Ok, just wanted to be sure we were all on the same page with that then. ...seriously, they're still putting out new mods for Morrowind?

Probably no more .nif files, but whatever it is I'd be fairly sure Blender will support it, or will shortly after it's release. Blender is pretty handy that way. No more Nifskope though. No point in dwelling on speculation, I'm happily going to continue modding Ob as it is. :)

Well, hopefully it's a good in house engine. Insofar as FO3 was a huge leap from Oblivion, it's hopeful that this one will be similarly that much better.As far as modeling goes, I'm going to figure it's safe to assume we haven't seen the last of BSAs and DDS textures, but even if Blender supports it, learning the quirks of another model format is probably going to suck. Then again, could it possibly be any worse than NIF was? Either way, time to start keeping your spare .blend files around.Wonder what we're getting as far as editing tools. Hopefully better than the CS, but then, the CS wasn't all that bad, so.You know, my two big secret project ideas can probably be dropped into Skyrim with a minimum of tinkering. Could be handy. Until then, I probably have enough projects to keep me occupied.