Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Cool. I'm using the one from Skyrimnexus, but I'm not sure it's even making a performance difference to be honest.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

An LAA patch won't do anything for performance. Those are only good for extending available system memory. I know the forums are awash with angry mobs of people claiming the game is a crash magnet without it, but I can't see that as true. Perhaps down the road though when modding has taken off it'll be necessary like it is for Oblivion, but for right now, my theory remains that the vast majority of people with crash issues are pushing their hardware beyond its limits AND THEY KNOW IT.I have still, to this point, with 130 hours on my first guy and 30 hours on my second guy, had all of one CTD.Now if they'd just fix the damn calendar bug it will all be great.

Still, I'm pleased to see that they are adding official LAA support anyway (considering they've already managed to accidentally break LAA for everyone already). It might not be a silver bullet, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

This got lost in the backup mess so I'll just post it again because it's too cool to lose:

I agree. I never got CTDs except when I messed with certain map settings in Skyrim.ini. But I figured I might as well give the game all 4GB since I could.Two things: I found a secret money/chest/display stash in the jarl's room in Markarth. Not telling where it is, but there is one.Second, I'm following Barbas and there's the whole bandits on a bridge thing on the path. But I'm looking and I can't figure out what they're shooting at because it's not me and it's not Barbas. I run up there, Grimsever and my new Glass Sword of the Blizzard or whatever it is blazing and they're still not shooting at me. I kill the first guy and then a stealth blood dragon fly-bys me with a frost attack. I'm level 36 now and I'm using the Nightengale armor so it does like, no noticeable damage.I kill the other bandit and jump off the bridge and run up the trail to a clearing so the dragon might actually land. Only there's a bear there. A cave bear. Cue sigh action. Dragon lands, bear attacks dragon, I kill dragon in three power attack cycles (that blizzard sword does 70-some damage all by itself), then kill the bear in two.I'm a little worried I might be awesome.Over.

Welp, I've tested 1.3 out, and it looks like it fixed everything it was supposed to, so I've given it the green light.Skyrim 1.3 is a safe update.

Good to know TK.Arthmoor that song is now going through my head. I have both the mod that replaces the intro and the mod that places the song inside inns added to my load order. I also added her to my facebook page. She really is good.

Well, I just finished the College of Winterhold quests, and really, I'm hoping I missed something because I completed the final boss battle, watched the stuff that happens afterwards and went 'so seriously, wtf is all this about then?' The quest line has its cool aspects to it, but there doesn't really feel to be any cohesive aspect to the story. The characters are pretty much forgettable and your not really left with much of a clue to their motives or whats going on behind the scenes anyway. Plus it feels way to short to be something that you're suddenly promoted to Arch-Mage for.All in all, despite the advances they've made I can't honestly say it was any better than the Mages Guild line in Oblivion.Mehrunes Dagon though, now that's what I call an awesome quest.

Yep, I just finished the College earlier today too. It took less than half the play session even with me doing main quest stuff in between. Too short, but nowhere near as horribly short as the Bards College. Bards College feels like it had most of its content just cut and left dangling.Now, if you want decent length factions, it seems they want you to be evil this game. Thieves Guild has a sprawling quest arc, as does the DB.No idea about the Companions because I don't have my guy who will be doing that one created yet. Not that I expect it to last much longer than the rest of this.Still though, I don't know how they managed it, but this game easily approaches 200 hours worth of content. Just think of how long this will go once the mods start rolling in and the DLC shows up later.

Interesting... it seems the "various performance optimizations" in 1.3 has done a bit of optimization for the shadow render. At 4096 resolution, they are nowhere near as stuttery now as they were before.EDIT: I've been watching this mod for quite some time now. Created by the same man behind the now legendary Morrowind tree replacers, and he is working magic. Now includes textures for groundcover and shrubs, and plans are laid out for diversified trees (trees with individual textures).Skyrim is a beautiful land, but when it comes to diversity of flora, sadly lacking. For instance, I love The Rift, but every single forested region seems to have a single flat color (yellow in The Rift's case). I understand the snowy regions, snow and rocks can only get so diverse, but forests... color matters. A diverse palette can make a great scene spectacular... if you keep true to the art style. And Vurt is very good at that, everything he's pumped out so far feels like it has a place in the game.

I've done everything but the bard thing now. I'm pretty much done with the game I guess. I need to find something else to play.

Interesting... it seems the "various performance optimizations" in 1.3 has done a bit of optimization for the shadow render. At 4096 resolution' date=' they are nowhere near as stuttery now as they were before.

EDIT: I've been watching this mod for quite some time now. Created by the same man behind the now legendary Morrowind tree replacers, and he is working magic. Now includes textures for groundcover and shrubs, and plans are laid out for diversified trees (trees with individual textures).

Skyrim is a beautiful land, but when it comes to diversity of flora, sadly lacking. For instance, I love The Rift, but every single forested region seems to have a single flat color (yellow in The Rift's case). I understand the snowy regions, snow and rocks can only get so diverse, but forests... color matters. A diverse palette can make a great scene spectacular... if you keep true to the art style. And Vurt is very good at that, everything he's pumped out so far feels like it has a place in the game.

Seems to be a pretty popular mod. Should work nicely with I.S. texture replacers.

Interesting... it seems the "various performance optimizations" in 1.3 has done a bit of optimization for the shadow render. At 4096 resolution' date=' they are nowhere near as stuttery now as they were before.

EDIT: I've been watching this mod for quite some time now. Created by the same man behind the now legendary Morrowind tree replacers, and he is working magic. Now includes textures for groundcover and shrubs, and plans are laid out for diversified trees (trees with individual textures).

Skyrim is a beautiful land, but when it comes to diversity of flora, sadly lacking. For instance, I love The Rift, but every single forested region seems to have a single flat color (yellow in The Rift's case). I understand the snowy regions, snow and rocks can only get so diverse, but forests... color matters. A diverse palette can make a great scene spectacular... if you keep true to the art style. And Vurt is very good at that, everything he's pumped out so far feels like it has a place in the game.

That is nice TK! Thanks for the link.

Vurt really knows his stuff and produces top quality work. His big pack for Nehrim started off great but he never finished it.

Blackreach. You will never look at dungeons the same way again.Had one guy bitching about how Skyrim's dungeons were terribad next to Oblivion's. Obviously he has never visited Blackreach.Stood for about a minute when I first entered. I have never seen such a sight in my entire career in gaming. Ever.

Seriously, how freaking rad is that place, anyway? Totally wasn't kidding when I said I walked around for a couple hours with my mouth hanging open.And Vurt's stuff is pretty good.I was fairly unimpressed with the Companions. You either dig the storyline or you don't (I was pretty meh on it), but like a lot of the faction stuff seemed fairly disjointed and needed another 3 quests or so.Bard's college. I've only been so far as getting the very first quest for some verses. Is there an actual questline here, or are they just going to send me on endless radiant randaquests a lot?

Anyone who claims vanilla Oblivion dungeons are better than Skyrim dungeons needs professional help. And not just because Blackreach is the most baddass dungeon ever, but because every Skyrim dungeon is among the greatest things I've seen since... I don't even know when.Nope, Bards' College is the verses quest and 3 fetch quests, then nothing. Totally dropped the ball there unless it's getting picked up in DLC. There's not even any point in having the thing there.

Finally let Steam take my game back... I still hate Steam - goddamn thing is now nagging me to set up my online account properly so I can talk to all my friends :mad:But I am pleased to say that patch three seems to be working pretty good. My keyboard and mouse bindings finally work.Also finally tried NMM to install a Skyrim mod (vurt's flora). Yep, hated it. Damn thing makes you sign into Nexus but won't remember your password and it just gets more annoying from there. Anyway looks like it installed the mod ok. I think it's going to be popular though. The only reason I used it was because that was the only option vurt used unless you wanted to download and install each option manually. I don't mind installing manually, but I wanted everything in one package.

Finally let Steam take my game back... I still hate Steam - goddamn thing is now nagging me to set up my online account properly so I can talk to all my friends angry.png

But I am pleased to say that patch three seems to be working pretty good. My keyboard and mouse bindings finally work.

Also finally tried NMM to install a Skyrim mod (vurt's flora). Yep' date=' hated it. Damn thing makes you sign into Nexus but won't remember your password and it just gets more annoying from there. Anyway looks like it installed the mod ok. I think it's going to be popular though. The only reason I used it was because that was the only option vurt used unless you wanted to download and install each option manually. I don't mind installing manually, but I wanted everything in one package.[/quote']NMM wouldn't install that one for me. I may try it again later.Another difference between Oblvion and Skyrim dungeons -- I haven't had a single fogged up screen in the skyrim dungeons.

I'm just doing mod installation manually right now. I have no interest in Nexus Mod Manager, and since all I'm doing right now are replacers, manual installation is easy enough.

There will be a significant number of modders who will resist being pushed to package in NMM-friendly setups. I will probably be one of them. I am not going to go out of my way to accommodate it any more than I did OBMM. I will continue to package for BAIN in the event stuff I put up for Skyrim has complex packaging requirements, otherwise I will likely take the lazy route and go with whatever system the CK has built in - provided that can be done without having to use the Steam Workshop.

I doubt any mod I'll make will be complicated enough to need special packaging, but depending on the circumstances I may or may not feel inclined to create NMN packaging. If its just a matter of giving and option to install different esp's, I might, but I'm still giving BAIN priority all the way.