Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Okay, after over 200 hours of playing, I have finally finished the Main Quest.It was a rocky journey, no doubt about that, but I think it was worth it.This leaves me with a conundrum... continue my current character through post-MQ, or start a new one and try the game from a different approach? I still have plenty of other things to see and do, after all.I'll probably go back to Oblivion or Morrowind for a while to think that over. Maybe write up a review of the game. But I think its going to receive a good long break now that I've seen it through to the end. Let Bethesda get bugs fixed and maybe wait for SkyUI to get a few updates.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

You passed it on to your ancestors? That must have been quite a time travel spell :P
Er... descendants, yeah. That'll teach me to post when I just wake up.Still, kinda disappointed they recycled a DLC into a quest. It's really not hard to make up a new name for a sword.

Still' date=' kinda disappointed they recycled a DLC into a quest. It's really not hard to make up a new name for a sword.[/quote']You're aware that this particular set of quests (the Daedric artifacts) goes at least as far back as Daggerfall, right? Oblivion was actually pretty unusual in that it took one (the razor) out until the DLC re-added it.

Seconded. The Razor is a well known Daedric artifact. Bethesda used it as part of their DLC experiment for Oblivion. One of their better ones mind you, but it was still obviously core content that should have been part of the game. At least they listened to the complaints that were made way back when.

You know what? Shadows in this game suck balls. They are blocky, shimmery, and acne-ridden and make the game downright painful to look at at times.When you turn them off completely, and the game looks better for it... well, now there's a problem.(I can't turn them off in interiors, though, because turning the interior shadows off does screwy things to the lighting)

As the Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold, I was a little bit surprised when the Jarl of Winterhold didn't recognize my title. Or moreover, that he warned me to stay away from the college, as if he thought that I hadn't even joined yet. Which is odd, because guards around the country seem to know about my involvement in the college. teh.

Well, we were all expecting issues with mods:http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1319353-cant-uninstall-hardcore-mod/is an example of what you all have been predicting.

Dear The Thieves Guild: Thanks for being whack/bugged. Maybe doing all these side jobs after completing the entire main questline will pay off and I get to be GM? I hope?Dear Delvin and Vex: Could you PLEASE send me to Markarth? I don't want to rob Windhelm. I already robbed the shit out of Windhelm. I have not yet robbed what there is to rob in Markarth. However, I enjoy scenic touristy thievery locations.Dear Thieves Guild MQ: I was a little disappointed in the dungeon crawl, but holy shit, that's some crazy ass loot.Once again, it would appear that the Fighters Guild got jacked in favor of the stealth guilds. Sigh.

You can quit as many Thieves Guild jobs as you want. Not the ideal solution, but you can just reject jobs until you get some in Markarth.One thing I could do in Skyrim Derailed is give some assistance to the TG random quests by preventing jobs from occurring in certain Holds once you have completed your special job in that Hold until you have fully restored the Guild.

Well look at it this way. In Morrowind, the Fighters Guild was the best one. In Oblivion, it was the Dark Brotherhood. This time, it looks like they wanted the Thieves Guild to have its day in the sun. I wonder then, do we need to wait for TES VI to see the magic guild get the love it deserves?@Ysne58: It hardly surprises me. The damage from such things is limited when you're using just an ESP. But no, people discovered quickly that there are batch commands available to run scripts. Those scripts generally issue console commands, some of which I've read can be irreversible once applied.

@TK - Yeah, did that. And still had a run of like 30 attempts where neither Delvin nor Vex would send me to god damned Markarth. Finally got done with that, made GM for real, and promptly stashed the armor in favor of a combo of Nightengale and DB armor. Relatedly, man the TG gives you a ton of gear.What they don't give you, unfortunately, is any kind of hint about you not actually being the GM if you complete the TG MQ before doing all those side jobs. Which is sad-making.And yes, putting a temporary block on those missions would be REALLY nice.@Samson - I think you mispelled Tribunal Temple as "Fighter's Guild". It's ok. The keys are right next to each other. :P(I don't even remember what happens in the FG questline in MW)It's not like the TG wasn't one of the two best guilds, along with the DB, in Oblivion. I don't mind that, but the FG quests sucking all the time forever makes me sad.

I think the problem is that Bethesda just can't write good stories, unless they concentrate real hard on one thing and let everything else rot. The difference this time being that they weren't sent into a panicked rush by Microsoft taking a dump on the development process, it really is disappointing. Although, the Daedric shrines always seem to be done pretty well.

I tend to wonder if it doesn't have something to do with who the writers are, too, and what they think is cool. One does notice certain trends in the writing.

Well I don't even remember the Tribunal Temple quests, so that's going to count against them :P Clearly it's been long enough that I probably need to play Morrowind again.

So, speaking of railroad into faction quests, turns out that for the quest revolving around the unusual gems? You have to join the TG, join the DB, and also win the entire MG questline. My current guy is level 35. Don't think I'm going to make Archmage this game. I don't necessarily have a problem with it, world-spanning quest that it's supposed to be, but...Of course, until then I have 16 half pound quest items stuck in my inventory, which is nicely bullshit. Zero weight quest items, what was wrong with that, anyway?Also, I can now sell all my crap to a single merchant! And all I had to do was become leader of the most powerful criminal syndicate in all of Tamriel! Nothing to it!

Wait...so I have to do all of that to get someone to identify my gems? I swear my friends were telling me about how they'd got them identified only a couple of days after that game came out (and they pirated it). They play some pretty long sessions, but I doubt they would have been through all of that so quickly.

No, to get the gems identified, you just need to get one, then get into the TG far enough to be able to talk to Vex about it. One of the stones is only available in the DB sanc (so you have to join the DB), and one is only available in the Archmage's quarters in the MG (which means winning the MG). There's also one in the Companions' place, but you can just walk in and take it.

You don't need to join the guild to get in to talk to Vex either, but as with the MQ, it's not entirely obvious up front how to avoid being railroaded into it.The gem in the DB sanc does not require you to join them. You can opt to follow the destroy them quest and the gem will be there for that too. Unless you're talking about the Dawnstar sanc. In which case, not cool.I'm 100% certain I did not need to complete the College to get into the Archmage's quarters with my lizard guy who I know for a fact has retrieved that gem. Maybe the door was glitch unlocked, but however it happened, it was open for the taking.

Dunno, but UESP and my game seem to agree that there's no way in except with the key, and no key until you win the MG. If there's another way, I'd love to know about it.And no, the sanc in question is the Falkreath one.

You guys have cursed me! I had my first dragon kill with no soul absorbed. I guess that means you can't blame patch 1.3 though because I'm still on 1.1.

The LAA patch for Skyrim is up on Steam now. Anyone want to grab it and report back to those of us still on 1.1? It's hot off the presses - only an hour old.

I'll be grabbing it once SKSE is updated later tonight or tomorrow morning, according to behippo. SKSE is broken right now and you won't be able to launch until they get the update out.1.3 has been pretty good and hopefully this will make things even better.

The LAA patch for Skyrim is up on Steam now. Anyone want to grab it and report back to those of us still on 1.1? It's hot off the presses - only an hour old.
I have about another half hour in of play time after SKSE updated. So far no crashes. Only unusual event so far was that on my trek from Ivarstaad to High Hrothgar, one of the mountain goats decided to give me a push up part way.