Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Wait, what? Totally lost on that one Dwip.In other news, they're still using the same shitty landscape LOD system. I saw an LOD land wall today somewhere in the vicinity of Whiterun. I was not pleased.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Except that its cell-based instead of quad-based now. Even if shitty, at least we won't need to worry about compatibility nightmares like Oblivion. :tongue:EDIT: Finally, after about 60-70 hours of play, I got my first unexpected CTD. Well, it had to end somewhere, right? whistle.gif

@Samson - What I think Ysne was getting at, and the joke I was making, was comparing the purple swirly things to the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Which you've presumably seen.

ROFLYeah, TK's screen shot does look like the scene from RotLA, but I think we're both missing the reference to Lizard Indy or Lizard Nazi... Unless he's referring to that tiny little figure in the background...Btw, finally managed to fry my first few bunnies. My husband is right though: the animation and results are off. If I nailed a bunny with the fire spell I used, I should wind up with bits of fur and bunny bits... :tongue:

DEATH TO BUNNIES!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:Okay, back to a serious note. My journey through the barrow of Vorelhost has just ended, and boy was it a trip! Strong Draugr guarding lots of Glass and Ebony treasures... and concluded with an epic boss battle with a Dragon Priest (I was running like my life depended on it, because it did!) and a Word of Power for Storm Call. All for a quest for this one douchebag con artist impersonating soldiers trying to get someone to get the Dragon Priest's mask for him. Well, now he'll be fertilizing new aspens after he tried to hoodwink a Stormcloak soldier into finding that mask for him and I caught him in the act. Or not... he might be a bit too crispy-fried from multiple lightning strikes to be of any use to anything except the wind now. :tongue:

I didn't think I was being all THAT obscure.It's apparently almost impossible to find the scene on YouTube, but we've all seen the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, right? Nazis open Ark, ghost things come out, swirl around, beams of power kill everyone, faces start melting? Hopefully we all know that scene. That's what I thought Ysne Sigurd (oops, I can read) was getting at.Insofar as it was directed at Samson, and Samson's guy is an Argonian, if the face melting is happening to him, that would presumably make him Lizard Nazi or Lizard Indy.Now, if you'll excuse me, This dead horse over here doesn't seem to be quite dead enough yet.As to you bunny killers, REVENGE WILL COME.

Sigurd was referring to Pete Hines' PR comment about PC having "face melting graphics". It wasn't an attempted Raiders reference which is why you trying to make it one just confused everybody :P Your lizard reference thus made no sense.The horse is an ash pile now, since I resurrected it to be beaten some more.Speaking of ash piles. They are a source of bloat. They're never culled from the game. Beware.As for bunnies, I've lost count of the number I've turned to smoldering corpses. I think a mod needs to have a bunny masher at some point, just because. :)

Today, my Skyrim adventures ground to a halt after encountering a broken 1.2 dragon and discovering I can no longer receive dragon souls.Let me know when Bethesda demonstrates some actual competence. I'll be back in Oblivion waiting for this whole poorly patched Skyrim time-bomb thing to smooth over. :headbang:Makes me want to just... just... kill more bunnies!!! :evil:

Well, for now I'm sticking happy with my 1.1 and begining my summer holidays (yay). Although if I do get 1.2 thrust upon me (if my idiot brother takes Steam off offline mode, most likely), I never finished Nehrim so.

So, I'm kind of disappointed overall in the civil war quest lines. Just saying.Plus, I don't really understand why you guys hate on horses so much. I haven't really had any trouble.

Well, I take that back. I haven't had any problems with horses I've purchased or with the DB one. I just got off a random Stormcloak horse and it, I shit you not, flew away and disappeared...

Well' date=' for now I'm sticking happy with my 1.1 and begining my summer holidays (yay). Although if I do get 1.2 thrust upon me (if my idiot brother takes Steam off offline mode, most likely), I never finished Nehrim so.[/quote']I have a complete version of 1.1 segregated out of the Steam Folder. I can play it from the .exe file and if my son makes Steam go online on that computer, it won't even find that folder.

Okay, I have given Skyrim a bit of time to cool down after my bug-filled experience yesterday (broken dragon, dragon failed to yield soul, both on 1.2), so that embarrassment of a patch has been removed from my game for good. I gave Oblivion some love before trying Skyrim again, and this time, things worked out. Dragons are giving me souls again, so I'm back to playing the game.And this time, I'm waiting until I get confirmation that 1.3 actually fixed the things it was supposed to before I put Steam back online.

Yeah, the 1.2 debacle has definitely given me a chance to take a nice relaxing Civ 5 break. Which is to say that, yes Hiawatha, my words are in fact backed by large quantities of nuclear weapons, and that next time you invade me, you might want to do some homework first.Kind of makes me want to play some Fallout.@MaelI can't fight from horseback, and the 3rd person camera is stupid as all hell, so why wouldn't I hate on horses?

I find the 3rd person camera to be just fine. But then, I have been playing WoW for seven years now.There's a nice thread at geforce.com on optimizing or at least tweaking Skyrim settings. A lot of the stuff is echoes of what you guys have posted here previously, but he goes into some nice, in-depth descriptions of what the settings do and has screenshots of a lot of their effects. I'll post this in the ini thread too just for complete coverage.TweakesesObviously if you have an ATI card, the nVidia specific tweaks won't be much help to you.Disabling the in-game AF and turning on transparency AA were big pros for me. And I messed with some of my shadow settings and came out with what I think is pretty good. I left ambient occlusion off because it's just not all that noticeable to me unless I stop to look, and I usually don't.It should be noted that I'm on an X38 chipset with an old Core2Duo E6750. I wish I had a quad core now, but alas. I went back to my GTX260 because though the GTS450 has the same amount of RAM and supports DX11, the 260 just flat out out-powers it in Skyrim. I run at 1920x1080 (native res) in full screen.My shadow settings are as follows:iShadowMapResolution=4096fShadowBiasScale=0.5000iShadowMaskQuarter=4fShadowDistance=8000fInteriorShadowDistance=3000iShadowMode=3bTreesReceiveShadows=0bDrawLandShadows=0I found that having trees and land shadows on makes the image a little bit more authentic, but I just didn't really notice when I had them off and I got a few FPS out of turning them off, so...I'm not using FXAA, only running 2xAA and supersample on transparency as multisample breaks the game presently. The shown FPS hit between 2x and 4xAA isn't much so I am going to give that a try in a bit, though I suspect places like Markarth will bottom out my FPS even harder. :(

Like a plaster for a leeky boat.Still not buying it, until they fix backwards dragons and calendar.

I didn't actually read the patch notes. I just saw it pop up on my facebook feed. I can't update it for reasons I'd rather not discuss, so...

A nice little nugget of info came with the 1.3 release notes: Bethesda is planning on adding official LAA support for Skyrim some time next week.