Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Same thing that happened to their face melting PC graphics and their promise of DX11 "even if only for optimizations". It never materialized.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

I continue to maintain that the correct answer is "bears", just as it is to many things.Wonder if it's possible we're getting live updated and we just don't know about it.

Highly unlikely because that would mean Skyrim itself would have to be calling home, outside of Steam's influence. Those of us who have denied it the DRM update obviously can't comment on whether Update.esm has been updated at all.

Oh' date=' all those niggly little things I figured out how to deal with that aren't breaking the quests and AI? Yep, priorities. Bethesda needs them. If that calendar bug stays in the game then we might as well all just pack it in and go back to Oblivion.[/quote']This feels like the perfect time to point out that:A: You were saying how you were so done with Oblivion a week after Skyrim launch.andB: That Bethesda is not Bioware, who none the less never seem to have fixed merchant inventories in Dragon Age.

Oh' date=' all those niggly little things I figured out how to deal with that aren't breaking the quests and AI? Yep' date=' priorities. Bethesda needs them. If that calendar bug stays in the game then we might as well all just pack it in and go back to Oblivion.[/quote'']

This feels like the perfect time to point out that:

A: You were saying how you were so done with Oblivion a week after Skyrim launch.

and

B: That Bethesda is not Bioware, who none the less never seem to have fixed merchant inventories in Dragon Age.

You also forget that Oblivion had the A-Bomb, a game-ending bug that never got fixed.Or that there was a persistent CTD trying to do the quest An Unexpected Voyage at the same time as The Elven Maiden that never got fixed.Bethesda has an even more unfortunate reputation of leaving game-breaking bugs behind even after they are done with the game. If patch 1.2 fails to fix the calendar sync, then we are going to have to start campaigning for it to get noticed. And if the Creation Kit comes out soon after, my first priority is to find a way to script the day changes so that they change precisely at 12:00 AM as they should (for me they seem to be fairly consistently changing one and a half to one and three-quarters hours late).

A: You were saying how you were so done with Oblivion a week after Skyrim launch.
That should give you some idea of the level of frustration being felt over what is arguably a much more insidious bug. At least the A-Bomb was in your face and only happened after a long period of time.
B: That Bethesda is not Bioware' date=' who none the less never seem to have fixed merchant inventories in Dragon Age.[/quote']I thank the gaming gods every day that Bethesda is not a shallow company making closed world games like Bioware. This does not excuse them from issuing games with fatal errors in them.Unlike Thomas, my calendar flips the day at totally random times and it makes no difference whether vsync is on or not or if I've used the bcedit hack or not. It still breaks. Plus there's reports of it striking on the 360 and PS3. That gives it a greater chance of being fixed but that's no guarantee either since A-Bomb is still on the consoles too.

Just to put it out there: I think the day changes are fairly consistent for me (although they wildly fluctuate over the minute hand) because I make a point to reset the clock every single night when my character goes to sleep.Yes, it sucks, but if it keeps the game from breaking down, it's worth the trouble.

Yes, but there's only so much time you can devote to wondering when the clock might decide you're on a new day when you have no consistency for it. When I do check, I just wait in place and stop it when the name changes, then set the GameHour value back to 0. That doesn't even stay synced properly for very long.

Do you guys actually play the game at all, between complaining on your own message board that Bethesda will never see and meticulously resetting your game clocks every game midnight? :pI hope someone comes out with a decent alternate start mod. I don't want to put the time into trying to make one. :D

Yes, smartass, I have 125 hours on my first guy now and have completed the DB, Civil War, all but one Thieves Guild mission, the main quest, and numerous side quests plus explored ungodly amounts of scenery for no other reason than to just do it.So believe me, when I say there are problems, they exist, and they're not trivial. The calendar thing is the only one that's really a serious problem and they don't appear to want to fix that so far.Now, assuming the trolls on the official forum are wrong, the CK will be along soon enough and I can get to work on my alt-start mod. See, having actually played the game, I have a decent idea of what I want to put in and it'll be a good primer on the CK before diving in to Open Cities Skyrim.

Skipping the intro is 95% of what an alt-start is all about. The other 5% is just clever ways to dress it up differently.Probably high time to open a WIP thread here for it to gather ideas though.

Yep, I got advance warning from someone already. No update for me. My game works pretty darn well and there's no reason to risk fireballing it now.

Dragons flying backwards? :stare:Oh dear. So glad I'm running directly - no Steam for me.I need to bug you guys today - it's going to take 4 hours just to copy DC down...

Yep. Dragons flying backward. Several Youtube vids of it already. Complete with belching their fire while doing so. The distance is far enough it's impossible to even hit them with arrows.Also, resistance and immunity is completely broken.I therefore count myself among the lucky few who stayed on 1.1 and have been using the no-Steam bypass. Thus, my game has no stability issues and only one major quest breaker for the Windhelm house. If the fucking console commands would work I could even fix that.

Yeah, me too. I'm having a real problem with the re-mapped keyboard and mouse controls though, so I was hoping to load that patch. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.Which console commands were you trying to use?

Dang, I just got the patch.It did fix the Y-sensitivity problem, I can tell that much so far. But given the rest of the issues, I'll probably hold off on playing until Bethesda issues a hotfix.

Was trying to use the StartQuest command, but despite the fact that the console accepted what I used as a code, it didn't start the quest. So it looks like they may have made that a script-only command now, which sucks. I'd love nothing more than to solve Windhelm's problems with murders so I can get my house but the game has decided for me that I shall not have it.@Thomas: Hold off until 3 weeks into January? Are you sure you want to do that? :P

Well, when you put it that way... fine. I'll bite the bullet, but I cannot be held responsible for what I might do if I see a single dragon flying backwards. :devil:I notice that Bethesda failed to do anything about the UI key labels not updating properly for re-mapped keys. I've decided to make F my inventory quick-access so I can get there without moving my hands around, but the UI still thinks F is Favorite in my Inventory, in reality, it is now Y (where my POV toggle has been moved).Really, Bethesda. Call of Duty: Black Ops, despite being a terrible port, updated its UI for re-mapped keys. I am not buying that this is impossible to accomplish.By the way, 1.2 did not touch Update.ESM (modified date remains stubbornly at 11/11/2011), so there are no quest fixes whatsoever in this patch.

Yeah, because oddly enough, reports are they just did like they always do. They updated Skyrim.esm directly. The patch was supposedly some 60MB or so. 18MB of which went to the EXE. The Interfaces.bsa file got updated, then Skyrim.esm. So it's going to be like the mess they made of F:NV with constantly updating the master file and breaking all previous versions of it.With that in mind we really should be glad the CK isn't out yet because this limits the damage done to mods to those who are too impatient to realize they shouldn't use an ESP generated using 3rd party alpha level code. Once the CK is out though, the shit will hit the fan the next patch after that.The same thing happened to Oblivion too apparently, but I entered that scene after the final patch was done and gone.Oh, and that micro-patching thing Todd talked about? Yeah, total vaporware.