• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Skyrim.ini, add these two to the Display section:fSunShadowUpdateTime=0fSunUpdateThreshold=0The shadow creep was massively annoying until someone suggested using those. They work well enough that it's not causing a huge distraction anymore.I was able to fix the timer on the game though. I did like SWG said and waited on the clock until it flipped days, which turned out to be happening just past 12PM. So I waited until then, then kept checking the clock until it changed days. Rather than do all the silly maths, I just reset the GameHour variable to 0.00 like so:set GameHour to 0.00Problem solved, and my video driver is now set for Vsync off unless application specifies. If it gets out of whack again though, I have no idea what else can be done other than to make them fix their engine bug. Which probably isn't fixable without throwing it away and ACTUALLY writing up a new one.

I tried those settings, and they just caused the shadows to update in an extremely jerky fashion (I play on a modified timescale). Not very helpful. I've settled on halving the transition times, actually, so that they simply occur quicker to get that damn flickering done away with as soon as possible. I've also learned that the stair-step effect there is probably an artifact of the method Bethesda used to render the shadows, too.Oh, and turns out my new game my game day was already about an hour and twelve minutes behind my clock time. Not terribly bad to catch it there since most NPCs are tasked to sleep during that time period. Anyways, I've re-synched the clock now, and I've also applied the command prompt tweak suggested to see if that helps. I'll check back in a few days to see if my timers are still in sync at this point, then I will try again at the V-Sync disable and see if the command prompt change really did do anything.

In other news, I've finally caved and bumped up my shadow-map resolution to 4096 because 2048 looked like ass (and decreased the draw distance a bit at the same time to 2500 units when outside).There is a very noticeable performance hit, specifically when panning around, but the only thing that could prevent me from keeping the shadows there is that dumb vertical sensitivity bug. If that gets ironed out, I'd have no problems with that setup.It really helps a lot with the pixelated shadow edges and those stair-step artifacts.Oh, and can someone please explain to me how capping my FPS at 30 in this game doubles my load times? How the fuck does that work?

Probably because preview models take up part of those cycles? Nice idea, but largely unnecessary IMO.

I dumped the FPS limiter a while ago. I got tired of waiting 45 seconds for my Whiterun house to load.Might get that shadow resolution thing a try, though my card is already screaming at me with them on anything above low and FXAA/16xAF on.Tried a few of the tweaks from the FXAA post-processing injector on SkyNex, but they all killed my performance. This GTS450 just can't handle that stuff. Not to mention my DDR2 and dual core are two years old now.Other than the shadows, I really don't have any graphical complaints. I have seen very few glitches -- a few empty wall paralax here and there -- and overall I can play it on high with little trouble, even in 3rd person.Picked up a new toy today quite by accident.TESV%2525202011-11-21%25252010-20-41-67.pngHilarious that I went and helped Molag Bal after doing all the Mara quests in Riften. XDUnfortunately, even with the magical effects on the mace, my daedric swords (Souleater and Blooddrinker -- Envy and Wrath are my old Ebony swords I keep around in case I run out of soul gems to refill the daedrics) rule it hands-down.I have been trying to find quests in Riften that let me take out Maven Black-Briar, but haven't found poo yet. Anyone got any leads? I did the entire thieve's guild and they're all about helping her out. Or at least staying in her good graces. I thought Mjoll would have something, but nothing so far. If there's nothing at all, maybe it's a mod in the making.

Heads up for those of you using the Steam bypass. Don't log in to Steam. You'll get a forced update from Bethesda that nerfs the bypass. There is much rage in the community right now as that forced update also cripples the ability to use the LAA patch.And no. I don't know how to fix a perma-stuck frost bolt.

Heads up for those of you using the Steam bypass. Don't log in to Steam. You'll get a forced update from Bethesda that nerfs the bypass. There is much rage in the community right now as that forced update also cripples the ability to use the LAA patch.
Hands up if you didn't see this coming. Come on, all of you, hands up. :lol:

Well, good thing I was never using the LAA (large address aware for Mael) patch or the Steam bypass, since I'm not bothered by Steam. So, no problems for me.*keeps hand firmly down*Meanwhile, taking the trip to Riften straight after Bleak Falls Barrow is moderately exciting. Apparently the Headless Horseman is in this game.

Hasty graphics mod, looks like, or maybe some kind of post-processing.And I know you were all anxiously awaiting my opinion on Skyrim before playing it, but I have now posted my review.

A couple more INI Tweaks that I can confirm have a positive effect on visuals (SkyrimPrefs):fLeafAnimDampenDistEnd=9500.0000fLeafAnimDampenDistStart=8000.0000fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=10000.0000These tweaks control the distance at which the game will render the high-detail trees and the distance at which the game will animate them. After applying those tweaks, I noticed that my trees were animating at much longer distances. Performance cost is negligible.

So... what's it mean then if I have this already:fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=10000000.0000Yes, that's 10 million rather than 10 thousand. Is this implying my trees never switch off to LOD versions?

Hasty graphics mod' date=' looks like, or maybe some kind of post-processing.

And I know you were all anxiously awaiting my opinion on Skyrim before playing it, but I have now posted my review.

Why does it always come up with a google search inside the post? Even when I go there from a new browser window and type the URL manually?Too, I posted a link to the review on the Skyrim Facebook page. Expect traffic. And fix that typo in the first paragraph.

Hey, guys, remember how my PSU was bust, GFX card was slagged too, so that's £90 extra, almost went the whole hog and replaced the HDD, but I can't quite aford it. Still, Skyrim for Christmas.

So... what's it mean then if I have this already:

fTreesMidLODSwitchDist=10000000.0000

Yes' date=' that's 10 million rather than 10 thousand. Is this implying my trees never switch off to LOD versions?[/quote']Not quite correct, it simply means the game will never render the middle-detail trees. After a certain distance (I think where your GridsToLoad specified loaded cell grid ends), the game is hardcoded to switch to the low-res LOD trees, and nothing can change that.