TES V: Skyrim

AndalayBay

I found the bad code in Snip and our fix. I'll post it on DC first. I can post it on Nexus but I fear it will fall on deaf ears at this point.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Thomas Kaira

• AndalayBay

• Ysne58

Best let Snip die quietly at this point. We don't need a giant incident being made over this. Just concentrate on Gecko, Snip isn't worth salvaging anymore.

I would have to agree with Thomas at this point. Salvaging it is no longer possible after the guy stormed off like that and tried to cast blame on the whistleblowers for exposing the problem.

As long as it does die. It still has its supporters and people will still use it. Code posted on DC for those that are curious.

I saw it, but I'm not convinced it's going to die if Nexus decides to leave it up. A big red warning on the description that nobody ever reads isn't going to do much.Even worse yet because the abandoned one is still up too and should have been taken down not just for the corruption issue but also because it's violating the GPL (no source code listed).

Hrm? The abandon one DOES have the warning unless my reptilian eyes deceive me (guys, you wouldn't deceive me, would you? No, of course not master!).I think it would have served the community better to have it taken down until someone could fix it at the very least. Is your fix built against 4.2 or 4.3?

Ah, yes, that's the original. I wasn't even aware someone had picked up the reins. I heard there was a quick fix that fixed the compression toggle button, but that's all it did.That new one should have the warning as well unless they fixed the code.

It did, but the guy removed it afterward and stuck something up there that's a fraction of the size of the program and then labeled it a 5.0 of whatever it is.

In all, whatever it was they were doing with the program didn't help any with the major problem and now irreparable damage has been done that means TESVSnip is pretty much doomed now. I'm not going to be making any further noise about it because at this point, it's best to let this whole thing blow over and the community to forget. Gecko is in the works, and that should serve as a more than suitable replacement to Snip. I think it's time focus shifted. Let's stop dwelling on the busted program whose author didn't give a shit about it and move on to the (insofar) un-busted program whose author does give a shit about it.Snip has had its 15 minutes. Now it's time for it to fade into obscurity.

Okay, since Valve apparently can't be bothered to make sure Steam Workshop content does not break the law, I am pulling my mods off until they can get their act together. The amount of stolen and ripped mods making their way onto the service is fucking insane, and I want no part of whatever legal trouble Valve inevitably finds themselves in.

Okay' date=' since Valve apparently can't be bothered to make sure Steam Workshop content does not break the law, I am pulling my mods off until they can get their act together. The amount of stolen and ripped mods making their way onto the service is fucking insane, and I want no part of whatever legal trouble Valve inevitably finds themselves in.[/quote']YAY TK! Taking a stance can be difficult sometimes.

As I said on DC, you can report them to Gstaff and he will take them down. Something needs to be done though. If Valve won't step up and honour the reports, because I'm sure people do report them, then Beth really has to reconsider their decision.

While I can certainly get behind the reasoning on that, the service for Skyrim is a mere 4 months old. One needs to recall that other mod hosting sites went through a lot of the same maturation processes when they first launched. Granted, Valve probably should have known better from the start, but this relationship only sprang into being back in November. Mere days before Skyrim's actual launch.I doubt they're aware of the extent of the problem, at least in part because nobody is telling THEM there's a problem. It's been suggested on the Nexus' hidden forums that a campaign should start rolling on Steam's own forums to raise awareness of this. As much as I'm sure many of us would rather not dirty ourselves by registering yet another source for their data mining ops, it seems that the time has come.Bonus points because one could then go poke Giskard and get him to stop spreading his disinformation :P

Chirping isn't the word I'd use for it. Crickets chirp, which is usually a pleasant sound. He's more like a shrieker or something. Filling the Steam users heads with nonsense about how things work. Which they're gobbling up primarily because they don't know any better.

While I can certainly get behind the reasoning on that' date=' the service for Skyrim is a mere 4 months old. One needs to recall that other mod hosting sites went through a lot of the same maturation processes when they first launched. Granted, Valve probably should have known better from the start, but this relationship only sprang into being back in November. Mere days before Skyrim's actual launch.

I doubt they're aware of the extent of the problem, at least in part because nobody is telling THEM there's a problem. It's been suggested on the Nexus' hidden forums that a campaign should start rolling on Steam's own forums to raise awareness of this. As much as I'm sure many of us would rather not dirty ourselves by registering yet another source for their data mining ops, it seems that the time has come.

Bonus points because one could then go poke Giskard and get him to stop spreading his disinformation :P[/quote']I'm not the best one to do that. I have a real hard time maintaining any kind of patience/diplomacy when dealing with the drama queen.

Yes, but those would be forum fights for the ages! People would pay to see that.

Cue Arthmoor! We haven't had one of those for a long time. The recent battles with the Snip guys are mere amateur events. :wink:

Okay, so would anyone here consider 9.1Mb of Papyrus debug over the space of two minutes to be problematic an any way?Cuz that's what my problem Nexus user just sent me. :crazy::crazy::stare::stare: It's a coupling of what appears to be copies of every EOS Script his game ever touched trying to run all at the same time as well as the same story from several USKP scripts.My advice to him: start a new game. In the condition the Debug log suggests, his current save is completely destroyed.

That's huge! In two minutes? Yiikes.Having said that, I think you're right. If he's running EoS against the right version of the game, then there is something good and stuck in there and he needs to clear it out. The only way is probably with a new game, like you said. Damned Papyrus!I was having a problem with my logs getting huge. My last game wound up with a log that was almost 50 MB in size. It really did seem to slow things down.

Well, in his case, after about two minutes Papyrus got so overwhelmed it started throwing out Stack Suspensions like they were candy. Considering this debris was coming from two mods (mine and USKP), I would think that this might have come from badly performed updates to those mods resulting on copies of the scripts getting stuck and new copies being created. The log was full of what I call "phantom scripts" which are scripts that have no data tied to them for them to reference and that are still trying to execute.The script in question for USKP was this one: USKPCWCampLeadersFixScript.psc. It was popping up about as often as the errors for my own. Both of which were phantom scripts.But whatever the case, at least now I can give him hard evidence that my mod isn't what's causing the problem. There is a bunch of junk in the save for it, yes, but that is more a clue to bad management of scripted mods, and that is backed up by the ample amount of USKP errors alongside mine (and a bunch more "missing file" errors for several more mods up top). If anything, there is no more denying that I was right about the problem being on his end.So yeah, that's his problem: his save is fried. Time for him to start over.

Yes' date=' but those would be forum fights for the ages! People would pay to see that.[/quote']Are you telling me I should do that? But, but, but, hubby told me not to feed the trolls. :cricket: