TES V: Skyrim

AndalayBay

Yes, merging can only be done to an ESM, but that's not a huge problem. You'd just rename it as an ESP, then have Wrye Bash espify it, then load it into the CK and save it for release purposes to clear out the ONAM records.Hex editing Skyrim.esm? That doesn't sound very appealing to me.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Thomas Kaira

• AndalayBay

• Ysne58

All that's required is changing one byte to turn off the "Use Localized Strings" flag. After merging, I copy the original ESM back to the network Data folder.

Hmm. I wonder if that's something that would be easy to support in Wrye Bash then. Probably not for Skyrim.esm itself, but for other mods wishing to attempt to use localized strings. It's something I'm interested in trying to make work for my own stuff as well as the USKP. Assuming it extends to things like book text and other things like quest journals.

Probably time to make a new thread regarding the Civil War project.Anyways, I've been digging through the dialogue a bit, and have found evidence that a few of the proposed scenarios: courier snatch and POW rescue, already exist. Those are along with a couple others that I originally did not propose, but nonetheless would be nice to have: kill scouts and kill field CO.Dialogue exists for some of them, but not all.

I've opened a new topic about the project in my spot on Dark Creations. If you want to set up a thread for it here on AFKMods, as well, feel free.

You know, some of the most fun I have with Skyrim are those periods where I'm just going about a normal life. Hunting game, gathering ingredients, killing the odd bandit or two. You know, as normal as life gets in Tamriel.Who says the only way to have fun is a daily genocide? :grinning:If you're wondering, I'm RPing up my Dawnguard character right now. I started out at Karnsdale with LAL, and right now, I'm just going about my life. The plan is, once I hit level 10 and trigger the vampire attacks, one will occur at Karnsdale, killing the people there and all in all rendering the farmhouse uninhabitable. Thus, my character gains good motive to join the Dawnguard.

A quick bit of news for those not following along at BGS. TES5Dump has completed the record decoding project. This is the basis for TES5Edit, and it's essentially in Elminster's hands now to compile the final product using the updated code as a basis.It will be glorious to finally be able to get rid of all the dirty edits. And yes, Dawnguard, I'm looking at you too.

For those not following along @BGS:USKP beta 1.2 is up: http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/files/file/363-unofficial-skyrim-patchUDGP beta 1.0 has a slight update: http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/files/file/352-unofficial-dawnguard-patch/If all goes well these will become live releases in the next few days. Assuming nothing's been botched.

Anyone else think it's bad form on Bethesda's part to announce a new DLC when the one they already have out isn't even working or available on one of the platforms? I'll bet the PS3 users are royally pissed off right about now (and rightly so).

If I were a PS3 user I'd definitely be seething mad about now and wouldn't be looking to buy another one of their games ever again.

Good question, one we'll never know the answer to because of how secretive Bethesda is to start with. Folks used to blame Sony, but there's no indication Sony has any fault here at all. I'd hate to think Microsoft is muscling the situation but that can't be entirely dismissed. With their past history with this sort of thing it wouldn't surprise me.

Since they've grown quite large, I do wonder if they've got issues of dis-economies of scale, with different parts of the company being out of touch with each other. It might explain why Todd claims that Skyrim is their most stable game on PS3 ever. Although, he could just be lying.

Well what if he's not lying? What if Skyrim really is their most stable PS3 game ever? That would be rather telling, and not out of line with what we've all seen from past games. Word on the street says Skyrim is their most stable PC game ever, at least until Dawnguard ruined their track record.Bethesda being large enough for the right hand to have no idea what the left hand is up to wouldn't surprise me.

What's all the more telling is that if this is as stable as we are going to get, this engine needs to be scrapped. Let's face it, it is a bastard-child of an engine originally developed in 2001, which could barely handle the game it was made for. Since then, Bethesda has made addition after addition, but never really bothered to integrate the improvements all that well. Just a quick sewing-in and that was enough (evidenced by just how abysmally cluttered the editor has become over the years).We are now in fall of 2012, and as has become abundantly clear, Skyrim's stability was on a knife-edge that Dawnguard successfully upset. At this point, I don't know if there is much hope left that the Creation Engine will last past Skyrim. In the end, the core infrastucture is still set ten years in the past, and still has quite a lot of major flaws.Oh, and I fully expect to see the "Skyrim PS3 Debacle" to make the Top 10 Biggest Disappointments of 2012. Bethesda really does deserve some bad press over what happened with the PS3 version of the game, they need a wake-up call that they are not invincible and we as gamers will not tolerate such poor support of a major gaming platform.And, of course, the only way Bethesda can assure good performance on the PS3 versions of future games is to get a new friggin engine. The one we have right now is terminally incompatible with the system's hardware and making it function on the system required hackish techniques at best (as evidenced by Sawyer's discussions of PS3 support for Fallout: New Vegas).

There are also some serious memory leaks in the CS/CK that have been present since Morrowind due to really bad coding. These issues were fixed for the in-house version (by outside help) but never released in the public version. Bethesda is seriously fucked up in the programming department, so I'm not surprised the PS3 stuff is a mess.