TES V: Skyrim

AndalayBay

@Hana: Probably a super obvious question, but what's the plugin name for Dawnguard?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Thomas Kaira

• AndalayBay

• Ysne58

Well, I want to say dawnguard.esp but I honestly don't know. While you can look at the game files on xbox they don't have obvious file names. For example, patches are called Title Updates. Dawnguard is simply called dawnguard IIRC.On another note, wow, how crazy buggy is the Imperial side of the civil war quest. Had to console my way through most of it.

Ugh, oh well. I was going to get an early jump on reserving a spot for it in BOSS but if the filename isn't visible it can wait :)Buggy how? I finished the Imperial side of the war without having to do any sort of console abuse.

Pretty much everything the uesp wiki says will go wrong went wrong.Rikke doesn't recognize when you report in, and I couldn't do the entire Regain the Rift portion, as the game would go into perpetual load screen when I tried to go anywhere near Riften or the Forts I needed to go to around there, hence the consoling.Also during one "take the fort" mission, I was shooting Stormcloaks with arrows and they would yell at me "Hey! Watch what you're doing!" or "I'm on your side!" .... er, no you're not. rofl.gif Maybe the game already recognizes I'm a devout Ulfric follower and was punishing me for taking a walk on the wrong side.

So the 30 day exclusivity window has come and gone. No mention of Dawnguard for the PC. They're all over that Dishonored game instead.Maybe they know I don't have the money to buy it and they're waiting patiently for me to get it :P

Because the trailer made it look good, even though I'd probably be fighting against the vampires rather than using those abilities.

I've already started a Dawnguard thread :PSeriously, save your money. There's nothing earth-shatteringly cool about it. No, not even crossbows. It's the most intrusive DLC ever with those vampire attacks whether you start the quest or not.The only thing you should be getting ready for is a DLC compatible Ars Mettallica by removing arrow fletching from it. You can only make crossbows at the Dawnguard forge and only after they teach you how, so I wouldn't worry about adding anything about that.

Mod makers are going to need to buy it anyways because of all the user "is this compatible with Dawnguard" comments that will be received.Besides, we are modders, we can always remove the vampire attacks. :cool: But since Bethesda still refuses to get their act together (seriously, how hard can it be to announce a release date for a DLC project that has already been made?), Dawnguard is going to be missing from our libraries for a while.

Yep. Hard to buy something they don't tell you exists. Harder still when you simply don't have the money. :PI don't particularly like having to hack up my mods into multiple packages either. I wonder if there's a built-in function that the EXE has to know if Dawnguard is around the way Oblivion had the SI stuff. I suppose using SKSE would accomplish it in such a way that I could tack on a global to disable the arrow fletching. I just want to avoid having to maintain two otherwise identical branches of the code.I can already anticipate that Dawnguard is going to cause complications for Open Cities too, which won't likely be resolvable without a patch.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote Arthmoor paste together the cut pieces of the Civil War and make it actually WORTH fighting. banana.gifbanana.gif

I wanted to look into that, too. Though I actually wanted to see about adding new scenarios to the Civil War rather than re-enabling ones that are already there but disabled. Things like participating in frontline battles, espionage on enemy encampments, and maybe standardizing some of the scenarios already present, like stealing documents from couriers, raiding supply shipments, and rescuing prisoners of war.Perhaps a partnership might be in order?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some new scenarios added to it, but some of the cut content like attacking and sabotaging mills etc would be cool to bring back too. In fact, Todd even said sabotaging mills would be in the game but it got cut some time after he said that. I once even broke the mill near Solitude by beating on it with a big hammer.We can certainly start picking into the files and figuring what's what. I'm game for it. Maybe even run it as a site project :)Also, color me dumb, but I just realized that the CW has the whole Blue & Grey thing going on, although the roles are reversed.

I guess its time we start poking through the quests and scripts, then, and figure out where to start.I'd say the given is that Point Insertion will be after the Battle of Whiterun, but what I want to think of is how to get this Radiant stuff into the Civil War.My thoughts: in order to allow for the maximum experience, you would need to tackle three Radiant objectives in each area before you receive the quests that initiate the assault. So, sabotage a mill, steal a supply shipment, and beat the enemy army back on the front line before you receive the orders that lead to taking the Hold. Once you get there, you go through the normal pre-assault quest, sack the fort, then assault the city. We could easily double the length of the questline that way.And to heighten the stakes, perhaps if you take too long, the enemy will counterattack and you will lose territory. That would seriously help the image of you fighting an actual war. We could also have a few times where we turn the tables on the fort assault, where you must defend a fort from the attacking enemy.The only question I have would be: how do we share work? Currently the only way to perform plugin merging is to use the CK's version control.

Sounds good to me. It shouldn't even be all that hard to wedge this stuff in between, as long as there's voice files to cover it.Supposed to be some stuff about recruiting giants as well, and I'd very much like to work that in on at least one mission somewhere. Plus I just ran across one of the scripts for sabotaging a mill, so the scripts are even still hanging around in a usable state.Having penalties for taking too long is also good, though that might be harder to work in.Which brings us to version control. I've been beating my head against it for the last couple of days without success. It keeps insisting that the network copies don't match the local copies even though it knows where everything is at and the files are exact duplicates. I was going to have it set up and working for USKP fix submissions but that's just not getting anywhere.

I'm trying to get version control running on my end, but I've run into a network issue that no one ever bothered to explain, so I need to figure that out before continuing.If at least one of us can get version control working, that should be all that is necessary.

Scratch that, diagnosed the problem, I wasn't navigating to the needed file correctly (the CK wanted me to go through the network, not the drive). After performing that, I got the CK loaded with version control enabled and have generated the needed files for Skyrim.ESM and Update.ESM, so I'm going to go ahead and say version control is working on my end.So if you can't figure out what the deal is on your end, I guess I'll need to handle the merging, but at least its possible now. :shrug:

Er. Wanted you to go through the network at what stage? I never got asked where to navigate to at all.

I start the CK, and it pops up a message saying "Version control is enabled, a network location must be selected to proceed. Select OK to locate a ConstructionSetNetwork.INI file and continue."At which point I navigate to "NetworkKENNETHWIN7-PCMergingConstructionSetNetwork.INI." After selecting it, the CK boots, and I load up as normal with the version control tool available for use.A little out of the ordinary, but what matters to me right now is the fact that I got it enabled at all.

Nope. It's never asked me anything of the sort, which suggests something is broken enough that it can't even ask. Oh well. The USKP will live, and the civil war stuff will survive just fine being VC'd by you :)Speaking of which, somewhat related. Hana will be happy to know I made the peaceful solution at Northwatch Keep work. It took a slight bit of coaxing, but it went off without a hitch. One extra stage, a new alias, a new AI pack for the alias, and a bit of topic scripting. Not the disastrous mess someone else had suggested.

I'll be getting my hands on Dawnguard tomorrow, and I should find some time to start digging through civil war stuff this weekend.

*cheers!* *wild applause!* *dancing in the street!* *ear splitting whistles of joy!*Very happy to see you both pick up the reigns on this. Can't wait! And thank you Arthmoor for resolving the other issue. :)*insert cheerful dancing emote thingie here - because bananaman is getting old*

Been doing some more research into version control, and so far, here's what I've come up with:1. The merging will likely be to an ESM file, as I am unsure if the CK supports ESP to ESP merging (only ESP to ESM is what I am sure of). If that is the case, we will need to find a way to revert the file back to an ESP before packaging.2. Any Skyrim.ESM forms that are changed cannot be merged into a new master by default. A hex edit of Skyrim.ESM is required to allow for this, so I'm going to need a reputable freeware hex editing tool to pull that off.