• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

What was I supposed to see there? Other than the box having so many options it was 5 miles wide off the screen, it worked just fine when I chose to join the Legion. Though I'm not sure why you felt the need to put that owned bed in there.

The fact that the menu is 5 miles long IS the problem. Oblivion menus stacked the options vertically. Skyrim doesn't, and thus you can't use them for menus with more than a few options to them. The actual script code should work fine for the options you can actually access.Fortunately the dialogue version works well enough that I've been able to test all the options now to make sure they work. Including the somewhat nifty one where you're camped just outside Helgen and see Alduin fly by. Pretty much all that's left at this point is perfectionist details, and one stubborn bug where your starting clothing isn't being added.

Okay, my latest brick wall: adding in pre-recorded voice-acting from Bethesda's archives.Apparently the CK is "intelligent" enough to pre-assign voice files to all of your dialogue whether or not they exist or if you even want it to do that. And you can't change them. At all.Could probably just get around this by renaming the FUZ files to match the records the CK picked out of its hat (hey, at least it assigns them to a folder whose name matches your plugin), but it's not the way I would have preferred (due to me now needing to distribute vanilla resources with the download).

Okay' date=' my latest brick wall: adding in pre-recorded voice-acting from Bethesda's archives.Could probably just get around this by renaming the FUZ files to match the records the CK picked out of its hat (hey, at least it assigns them to a folder whose name matches your plugin), but it's not the way I would have preferred (due to me now needing to distribute vanilla resources with the download).[/quote']You had to do this for voice files in Oblivion too.

Oh, I see.Okay, after looking at this deeper, I am not sure that anything will be able to be done about the Main Quest - Civil War tie-up, too much of the beginning of the MQ relies on Balgruuf being present. And after looking at the dialogue, I have also decided his excuses for delaying things are valid from a roleplayer's perspective. He wants the dragon to be his priority, and he is a man who is not easily talked down.Nevertheless, I will be adding options to gate guards for those apt individuals who proceed into the Civil War before the Main Quest so they are not forced to make the dragons their priority.

Noticed that, did you? I also noticed that the CW and the MQ are very deeply entrenched in Whiterun. There's also a bunch of stuff that the handoff from MQ101 to MQ102 does that can't be left out. Hoping that it won't end up being too glaring with the alt-start setup.

Can't remember where it was said, but AndalayBay mentioned reading Giskard's post about corrupted mods after I encountered having mine scrambled without cause.

For Oblivion' date=' this only really happened if you cleaned a mod using third party tools...[/quote']He wonders why people don't respect his opinions after saying things like this. :P TES4Edit is the savior of the Oblivion modding community. I'm hoping that TES5Edit will similarly be the savior of the Skyrim community.Why? Because I've discovered, unfortunately, that using the CK's own internal details window to remove bad edits can lead to the corruption I experienced. Yep, blasted mod got corrupted AGAIN, this time after trying to remove some bad edits. There's a corrupt worldspace entry that's still in there that I'm going to have to keep an eye on now. For a worldspace I DID NOT TOUCH AT ALL. Beware.

I don't remember where I read that either, but that's probably because my memory has purged it already. Anything from Giskard gets quickly flushed down the mental toilet. :tongue:I've been working through the tutorials on and off and my little test plugin has a dirty edit already. No way to avoid it either. And it's sitting there, taunting me... :sad:

Can't remember where it was said' date=' but AndalayBay mentioned reading Giskard's post about corrupted mods after I encountered having mine scrambled without cause.
For Oblivion' date=' this only really happened if you cleaned a mod using third party tools...[/quote']

He wonders why people don't respect his opinions after saying things like this. :P TES4Edit is the savior of the Oblivion modding community. I'm hoping that TES5Edit will similarly be the savior of the Skyrim community.

Why? Because I've discovered, unfortunately, that using the CK's own internal details window to remove bad edits can lead to the corruption I experienced. Yep, blasted mod got corrupted AGAIN, this time after trying to remove some bad edits. There's a corrupt worldspace entry that's still in there that I'm going to have to keep an eye on now. For a worldspace I DID NOT TOUCH AT ALL. Beware.

Drama Queen has said that way more than once...ad nauseum as a matter of fact.

Drama Queen has said that way more than once...ad nauseum as a matter of fact.
He has, and Uberlurker that I am I think I know why.I believe Giskard once cleaned mod and then tried to load it on an existing save, i.e. not a clean save. The resultant Fubarness (I can do new words too) put him off for life.

Actually he's mentioned it in public on more than one occasion. He once used a seriously buggy copy of an early version of TES4Gecko to clean a mod. It broke the thing in a bad way. Early Gecko versions were not safe beyond beta testing and the author said as much back then. Giskard ignored the warning though and paid the price. He's been on a crusade against "tool makers" ever since.Unfortunately, now that his navmesh bug video has gained exposure AND the issue has been independently verified, there's a renewed danger that his other obviously propaganda filled rants will be viewed with more credibility than they deserve.

I'm pretty sure the skyrocketing popularity of Skyrim had something to do with that. They're not going to be able to hide from this stuff this time. Unlike the lukewarm reception both Fallouts got, Skyrim is from their mainline series. 3 million angry modders is VERY hard to ignore.Now if we could just get the stubborn holdouts on 1.1 -> 1.3 to give up and realize that CK mods REQUIRE 1.4 all will be well in the bug reports department. "Your mod causes CTDs, fix it!" "Uh, no, patch your damn game".

I bet a lot of people are starting to put their projects on hold now that we are aware of two crippling bugs with the editor that effectively make it worthless to perform any sort of worldspace expansion, or make any significant changes to current exteriors, or render it pointless to create new interiors outside of small no-companions-allowed house mods.That leaves the well pretty dry.

There's still a well? The kind of stuff I like to do is damn near ALL impossible without access to working navmeshes. I can get away with fudging it with the alt-start mod, but no way in hell Open Cities keeps working. No way in hell a village mod works. No way in hell even simple house mods work. As soon as all the navmeshes break down, it's over.I was going to try a scripted solution, but navmesh forms can't be accessed as Papyrus properties. So there's no effective way to enable or disable them by force.

I thought Thomas's post was overly optimistic re: the impact this will have on Beth.Sure, it kills mods but most gamers don't use mods anyway. Hell, I only got into Oblivion modding to fix the stuff that irks me and I download mods because the game is so samey and boring without them. Skyrim apparently has neither problem.I happily played morrowind with nothing but DLC for years.

But have you seen the download numbers for mods? They're staggering. We have people on DC who are still playing vanilla Oblivion, but I think all the PC players have at least one mod loaded for Skyrim. I'll ask them.

Also, possible ray of hope. Navmesh forms CAN be set to have an enable parent, which obviously means I can make that anything I want. Going to try something in Riften and see where it gets me. It'll be about the most hackish shit solution ever, but if it works, it's something.