• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

There's not much point in doing conversations without recorded voice' date=' even if your subtitles are all on. Good luck getting recorded voice unless you resign to doing it yourself.[/quote']We're working on it! I got one batch yesterday that I rejected because they weren't very good. They weren't from Chick's group though - I'm hoping she'll have better results.

Good luck with that. Really. The experience I had trying to get workable voice work for AFK_Weye was the most frustration I ever had with that mod.Meanwhile, when setting dialogue conditions, remember that AFKVTCMojaveOutpostCaravaner and AFKVTCMojaveOutpostBrahmin? Not the same thing. Just saying.

We're working on it! I got one batch yesterday that I rejected because they weren't very good. They weren't from Chick's group though - I'm hoping she'll have better results.
Yes, I know you are, and I'm ever grateful, but that doesn't end the frustrating experience I've had just trying to get a single line of dialogue recorded.There's no way in hell I'd ever think to try and commission an entire project's worth of voiced lines. Especially after seeing how little result Dwip got from it. Which was long before I even thought about the possibility of having stuff done.Unless there's this hidden cadre of Oblivion voice actors out there pining away for work that we just haven't tapped into. In English of course, since I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard at all to find Germans willing to do voice work in German.

And guys we are ETERNALLY GRATEFUL that we have a team member who is in an art school training to be an opera singer with a roomful of classmates that think doing some voice acting for a game mod is a hoot. They even have a professional recording studio at their disposal and a professor who might be willing to pitch in and help too. I think they've even got a recording engineer...Having said all that, there are no guarantees, but we are hopeful that we can finish getting our mod voiced and our opera singer in training has said she will gladly see about getting Arthmoor's line done too. :DI'm told that we have 50% of our mod voiced already, but I don't have all the sound files yet, so I can't confirm that.And at the end of the day, what do you think about having your line sung in a nice high soprano that can shatter crystal? :lol:And if all that fails, I know someone else that I took German class with who's actually the artistic director of a small theatre group. Unfortunately we don't talk to her very much anymore and gettting her help would probably require a generous donation to her theatre company, but I don't know that for sure - I've never asked her. There's your German connection again!!

I'm exceedingly jealous. Yes. Because there's nothing like wrangling with people for months on end trying to get even a few lines done, let alone a lot.My one real worry with Skyrim modding is finding myself either in that situation again, or having to reprise the experience of doing all my own silent voice files by hand like in the early days. Hope we get a better dialogue system than what we've got now.

Yeah, well we'll see how it all turns out.Do you not know anyone in music or theatre? Do you have any small independent threatres in your area? You might be able to join and donate a bit of money or attend a couple of plays and get to know the people there. I know the independent threatres in our area are cheap - it only costs about $10 for a show and they are really eager to garner support. If you post a link to their website in return for doing some VA for you, that might be a way to get some done.Also, I did a search on the web for voice acting. You'd be surprised how many small companies there are. Once again, we have a few right in my city. I was thinking that if it really came down to it, I might be able to hire one of them to get the work done. It hasn't come to that yet, so I have no idea what the cost would be.

I MAY have been able to leverage my ex's Yale theater connections, but as I recall, I mentioned it and she was pretty down on the idea, so who knows (also those people are stupid busy, so), but otherwise no. Didn't think too hard about paying for it, either, since AFK_Weye has on order of a thousand and a half lines or so, and I can't imagine that's cheap, and I'm generally broke.What I DID end up doing was trying the TESA voice actors project, which failed dismally. Probably not anybody's fault there in particular, but it was a very frustrating experience that set me back several months.

As it happens, developing a full-fledged NPC rumor and conversation system so the NPCs could talk to each other? Extremely expensive.Well, that and I write tons of quest dialogue. :P

There's also the irritation factor of people who like to insist your mod must be broken because you didn't add voice acting. Players just don't seem to get that it's nigh on impossible to have done properly. Would they rather we used Microsoft's fake voices? Ploojin anyone?

LMAO You should try it and see if anyone notices...I know there was a guy who replaced the dialogue from the opening movie with a Microsoft SAM voice-over. It was hilarious...

:lol:"Did you hear a-bout the rel-lic hun-ter who imper-son-a-ted a coun-cil mem-ber. Chan-cel-lor O-cat-o spa-red her life and sent her to pri-son in-stead."* Sounds perfect to me - what do you think Arthmoor?Now all we need is that stick figure weapon "mod" somebody did a little while ago. God I can't remember who did that, but it was great :lol:*That's meant to be a monospaced font to convey the monotone

Heh. If only. Windows 7 comes with "Microsoft Anna" and doesn't sound anywhere near as amusing as the old days with Sam.

To the two guys here who seem to have forgotten one thing;You're welcome.

Heh. If only. Windows 7 comes with "Microsoft Anna" and doesn't sound anywhere near as amusing as the old days with Sam.
Did you play that xtranormal video Dwip posted? That sounded pretty good :grinning:

...but note that none of this griping ought to apply to the omnitalented Hanaisse, who has kindly provided me with sound, textures, playtesting, and I'm probably forgetting a few things.;)

Hana, is Arthmoor forgetting his manners again? angry.png And Dwip is being naughty too? Tsk... tsk...I've chewed the lizard out for that before :lol:

Lizard don't have manners, they are uncouth and crude barely reptilian life forms not worthy of even acknowledging.This Iguanadon is ever grateful to those who have help it with its many endeavors, voice acting included.

:lol: I was just teasing. I do think us women need to stick together and keep you guys in line though...Do you actually have any lizards as pets? They are cool, especially the little ones that scoot about.

I used to have some iguanas, but that's been at least 15 years ago now since the last one. She died from a parasite infection. Things like that in iguanas are brutally efficient at killing them.Used to bring home fence lizards all the time though, much to my mom's horror. Oh, and a nice big snake I found one day hiding under a rock. Impulsive kid I was I had it grabbed and on its way home and wasn't even sure if it was poisonous at the time. I looked it up later, fortunately not, but king snakes CAN be. Of course I didn't tell my mom I had the thing until the next day when she sort of discovered him in the tank I had in the back yard :P

If you like lizards a lot then you'd probably enjoy bush walking in Australia. You can generally expect to bump into a lizard every ten meters you go.

There's also the irritation factor of people who like to insist your mod must be broken because you didn't add voice acting. Players just don't seem to get that it's nigh on impossible to have done properly. Would they rather we used Microsoft's fake voices? Ploojin anyone?
Despite Morrowind having almost no voices at all.Sad, isn't it?