Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Proud to say that I will be modding rather than watching the royal wedding tonight.On that note; my wireless appears to have randomly changed its encryption for no particular reason, so now I can't get the internet on my laptop. Screw you Telstra (ok, maybe they don't have anything to do with this, but I still hate them).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Oh yeah, some royal guy is marrying some woman he picked up in a bar.... *ducks*Seriously, who cares? Sure, she's kinda hot, but why does our news service think we care? I'm more worried about what the government is going to try and sneak under the radar while nobody's looking.

I'd wager the only reason the brits give a damn is because they get a bunch of public holidays as a result. Apparently the total cost to their economy as a result is going to be something like $9 billion. They'd better enjoy their party while it lasts.

What exactly does:FPS 5Queued 10 count 0(something else) Queudeditem count 0BSqueuedcount 1,512mean?

Besides that you're suffering from framerate issues? :PI don't know what "queued 10" refers to but the BSqueuedcount has something to do with disk loading tasks as far as I know.

FPS 5. Eek.So, somebody in my Nexus thread apparently found a bug in the endgame for AFK_Weye. A really obvious bug. A really obvious bug that's presumably sat there for years unreported.I keep having more and more sympathy for software developers.

Nice bug. I suspect it's a situation that just never came up. I don't even remember a "Cloak of Dranas" spell.

Man, they all come out of the woodwork at once. I've got a guy in my Nexus thread telling me that Verres' fireball is passing through him and doing nothing. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Tha guy with the CTD in Breakneck Lair is a lost cause. His load order is a mess. Improperly installed BC components, multiple conflicting DB Sanc mods, it's a wonder his game holds together at all.I've never heard of the fireball problem before. He'll need to take that up in the Bethesda forum to find someone who might know. It's obviously a more general problem than with Verres because he's saying after SI weapons can't touch him. He's got some kind of mod conflict would be my best guess.

So in random off the wall news, well sort of, I took the leap and upgraded to an HD 6970 video card and a beastly 900 Watt power supply to drive it with.As expected, zero gain in actual frame rates in Oblivion, although the updated hardware and the Catalyst 11.4 driver combined to make anti-aliasing overrides actually work and it's now possible to see Oblivion in full detail high quality 8xAA/16xAF via driver overrides. Pretty much confirming that this was not working with the 4870.The primary driving reason for the purchase though was for DX11 support which Skyrim will take some advantage of, and games like Witcher 2 should also use. Even Dragon Age 2 should I get desperate enough to go that route.So does anyone want a well used HD 4870 for cheap? :P

Yeah, I think I'm fine with my 6850.I suppose you just saw the same thing I did when I upgraded my GPU with the bottleneck being elsewhere (though we both seem to have gained on the AA/AF front out of it).

Yep, and the other thing I noticed is that the irritating line around the edge of the screen is now gone. So I'm guessing that was specific to the 4800 series as well. I guess that explains why AMD wasn't interested in fixing it.The game's bottleneck is somewhere other than GPU and CPU. I've upgraded both and in both instances gained absolutely nothing out of it in performance.

No, I definitely get that problem with my 6850. Maybe its specific to the x800 series :tongue: (well, of course it isn't). Where does leave the the bottleneck to be then? RAM? Motherboard? Gamebryo? Still, just having a 6970 sounds cool enough for me in itself.

Got me then. Maybe they actually did fix it with Catalyst 11.4. Even if they hadn't I have little choice now but to use that because this card wasn't recognized by CCC until I updated the driver.The bottleneck is probably in Gamebryo itself, or specifically Oblivion's implementation of it. Probably the lack of multi-core support. Fallout 3 didn't gain much from the card upgrade but there was some improvement. Of course FO3 also has better support for multi-core CPUs.Then again, it may be a general bottleneck of DirectX 9 itself not being able to deal with it. I've heard plenty of people swear that DX10 and DX11 based games are way faster. Which means the gods of Oblivion need to gift us with a DX11 conversion for the game :)

I was under the impression that if you had DX11, you have DX10.999 to DX 0.001 covered.Other than that, I'd be guessing memory. I made some changes on how my computer handles the page file recently, and it made a hell of a difference; but then you've all got those top-of-the-line models; so it probably wouldn't apply to you.

You do, and when Oblivion calls the DX9 routines, that's what you end up interfacing with. So you're stuck with whatever bottlenecks were inherent in that system. Microsoft could have played it smart and just used the DX9 API as a wrapper against the DX11 internals, but no, that would have been too easy.

At long last, the second part to my discussion on dungeon design. A little less Oblivion than in the first one, but if you read the first one I think you can more or less figure out the nuts and bolts of getting what I talked about done.

I'd wager the only reason the brits give a damn is because they get a bunch of public holidays as a result. Apparently the total cost to their economy as a result is going to be something like $9 billion. They'd better enjoy their party while it lasts.
Estimated at £3 Billion, i.e. $4.5 billion.Meh.Small change.

Which, depending on which figure you try to convert, will work out to either 7 billion or 4 billion Australian dollars due to the prevailing exchange rates.