Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Yeah I like the UESP Wiki's comment about that: "This makes being a murderer in Tamriel only half as notorious as being a burglar on a per-quest basis, though the totals are essentially the same for both sets of quests." At the end you gain a total of 29 (or 30 if you steal Rohssan's sword) infamy for the Thieves Guild and 28 for the DB.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Well actually the TG could have as much as 40 if you count each time you can get fined for the blood price. I really do think that some of the DB stuff should be worth more though, like taking down Adamus Phillida. Surely that must be worth 2? Spreading rumors of high elves dead in the IC? Yeah, otta be 2. I guess people hate thieves more than assassins though :PThere's also a minor irritation in that Amusei and Methredel get their rank advancements all weird. You'd think they'd both be in progression but they're not. I don't think it has an impact on things though.

Actually, if you were truly successful, your infamy for doing quests for either faction would be exactly 0. (Everyone knows so-and-so was robbed/killed, but they don't know you did it. The best I've ever done (completing the entire chain ) is 6 for DB and 4 for TG.

How the hell did you manage that? Now I remember very long ago, when I was still an angel of justice, or something, I managed to do the entire DB questline with 0 infamy... I had done the TG first, got the cowl, did the KotN and then dutifully donned the cowl everytime I reported in. Since then I have come to my senses and said screw it and done both questlines as a true and proper ambivalent "hero" that I truly am... And sometimes I still do the KotN questline just to really nail down the ambivalence :lol:

Well that's one way to get no infamy on yourself, but you've turned the poor Grey Fox into a mass murderer!Realistically the DB guys should be tripping balls wondering why the Grey Fox keeps showing up to take credit for YOUR kills.Also, unless you're using the cowl, I can't see how you'd legitimately only get 6 infamy in the DB chain. All 28 points are awarded regardless, and the Listener award is a flat 10 points no matter what. It should similarly be impossible to complete the TG line with only 4 points because the Grey Fox award is also a flat 10 regardless.It does make me wonder something. If anyone has a pristine Oblivion.esm, no patches, no KOTN, no SI. Could be a lot more awards were never properly handed out? That's some of the stuff I've been given for the UOP lately - fame and infamy fixes.

Well that's one way to get no infamy on yourself' date=' but you've turned the poor Grey Fox into a mass murderer![/quote']I thought he had been accused of that already...
Realistically the DB guys should be tripping balls wondering why the Grey Fox keeps showing up to take credit for YOUR kills.
Indeed. That's one thing I miss from Morrowind - some recognition of what you're wearing, or not, as the case may be...
Also, unless you're using the cowl, I can't see how you'd legitimately only get 6 infamy in the DB chain. All 28 points are awarded regardless, and the Listener award is a flat 10 points no matter what. It should similarly be impossible to complete the TG line with only 4 points because the Grey Fox award is also a flat 10 regardless.

It does make me wonder something. If anyone has a pristine Oblivion.esm, no patches, no KOTN, no SI. Could be a lot more awards were never properly handed out? That's some of the stuff I've been given for the UOP lately - fame and infamy fixes.

Can't comment on that. I don't think I've ever played Oblivion without the UOP :grinning:

It seemed to dish everything out just fine when I was on PS3, but thats not to say I was paying too much attention at the time either.

Rig's dead.Possible causes include a power supply failure causing hardware damage, or the Motherboard developed a short that destroyed the PSU as well as itself.Likely the latter.Time to start shopping for a new PC.My stepfather is fairly insistent of buying an HP model, but I've noticed a fairly alarming trend of forcing my AV software to Norton, as well as underwhelming PSUs and flat-out embarrassing GPU choices (GT 440 is High End? Please...).Well, I suppose I could always buy the system from them, and then simply reject whatever hardware they give me that I don't like and replace it with what I already have. I intend to salvage as much of the old machine as possible.Of course, being a giant corporation and whatnot, they're never going to give me the Windows disc, so I can't also perform the needed HD wipe to eviscerate Norton, :headbang:

Given you have a fair amount of parts pre-existing, is there a reason you can't just buy some more parts and self-build?

If you're sure that only the PSU and Motherboard are dead, why not just replace those? Unless this is an older prebuilt machine? In which case perhaps it's time to consider parting out your own build? Prebuilt stuff is generally not up to the task of handling high end gaming.

Re -> Parents choosing computers; my father brought a Dell with a GT 220 last time he got a new home computer, with a 350W PSU to boot. :tongue: At least it didn't have Norton jammed into it. But since I hadn't actually paid for the original I wasn't really to bothered buying the upgrades for it, though from the sounds of things you've got to buy the new computer itself too. But with the parts you've got pre-existing, upgrading wouldn't be too difficult, wouldn't it?

Given you have a fair amount of parts pre-existing' date=' is there a reason you can't just buy some more parts and self-build?

<-- does not remember his days with store-bought computers well at all.[/quote']Or just get a custom build, using the parts you have it should be cheaper, and better, than a store-bought machine. Aside from my Uni-Laptom I have never had a non-custom machine, ever. Unless you count the old Atari.

Well, the MoBo upgrade is probably going to warrant a new CPU, and I want to bring my OS up to scratch as well (Win7 x64). I'll probably keep the RAM if DDR3 slots are backwards compatible, The GPUs and soundcard will be kept, along with the DVD drive, and my two HDDs. And my stone-age floppy drive. :lol:My stepdad wants to buy a prebuilt from HP, but as I said, I really did not like what I saw in their high-performance line. They aren't really that much different from that Dell. The best nVidia GPUs offered were the 560 Ti (which I has received mixed reviews, as far as I know) and the GT 440 (trash for gaming). It also gets Norton stuffed in no matter what (assholes).It also means I don't get to take the Windows disc home with me, too.

Well, my Bash Patch is building, so I have time to be eloquent.Basically, you need to find a local professional techie or computer shop to do a build for you if you don't want to do it yourself, me I like to get my guy to do it because he knows more than me, in a pinch I could strip and reassemble my entire rig, but in a build I'd probably screw up and blow something, or not, but it's not worth the hassle.So, having found your guy (word of mouth is good here) tell him what you want and what you are willing to spend, then wait a week or two and *poof* new rig.

What about an ATI card? I think, as far as high end gaming goes, the only pre-builts that are fair are made by alienware. Also, it is possible you'll ge McAffee shoved up your ass instead of Norton. Would you like to see me do an impression of a Dunmer Dell customer service? Here put on this bracer...

Re: ease of build, it's actually pretty trivial to build your own stuff, especially as compared to the bad old days 10 and more years ago. Pretty much just need to know what to buy, then spend a little time with the motherboard manual. Actual software installs are kind of a joke anymore.Also, let us praise MS Security Essentials for AV work.

Pre-builts made by Alienware (or any PC made by Alienware) are also disgustingly over priced. I actually had a look on there last night to check out exactly how bad their prices were. My PC cost about 1.5 grand including upgrades for instance, and came with speakers, keyboard, mouse and monitor for example. The closest comparison to my machine that I could find had approximately two hundred dollars more worth in hardware than I do but was being retailed just as the desktop box for a mere 3.8 grand. Value for money.I think custom-building yourself is the best path.

And people whine that Macs are extensive?No, they just have higher quality hardware in them compared to cheap shit Best Buy stuff. :P

I mostly whine about how expensive they are. Their extensiveness doesn't generally concern me. :POn a wholly other random note, allow me express my appreciation for Visual Studio 2008. Even CSE isn't this good.However, I've really got to start writing programs more than once every few years. The (re)learning curve each time I start something is brutal.

Yes, well, I MEANT to say expensive, damn spell checkers being used for typo laziness picking the wrong words!

*crickets*Anyway, I poked at tes4edit a bit to look for unused AI packs. There are many. Probably too many. Why, Bethesda, why did you leave so much junk in your master file?

*crickets*

Anyway' date=' I poked at tes4edit a bit to look for unused AI packs. There are many. Probably too many. Why, Bethesda, why did you leave so much junk in your master file?[/quote']Seems to be common practice in a cut-down, I think the prevailing theory is that Devs leave stuff in:A: because removing it so close to release is harder than leaving it inert.B: because they hope they might be able to patch some of it back in later.Remember, they killed their own Radient AI, you can see how it would work from the stuff left in, but they chopped so much of it out you couldn't get it working now without killing everyone's CPU. They must have had some kind of load-bearing code in there they took out as well.

I don't know how hard it would be (if even possible) to filter down to only what AI packs aren't in use, but there were a few I did find, mostly due to Dwip's chapel stuff, that should have been. If only to make the chapels less empty. I suspect that a good portion of what's here won't fit into the schedules anymore but I'm betting there's stuff that should have been assigned because it just makes sense.I wonder how big the size difference would be if all the test cells, test NPCs, test whatevers, and all the unused junk was removed? Ignore the compatibility issues that might cause, but just think about the possibility of an Oblvion.esm that's only, say, 200MB instead of 270MB.