Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Actually, I've always wondered why modders hold back on the dialogue because they think everything has to be voice acted. I thought Morrowind's system of it was something you read when it was addressed to you, and voice acted when it was general atmosphere, was far more impressive. It allowed a lot more customization and personalization. Now, the best you can do is some generic thing.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

I certainly don't hold back on dialogue if it's needed for a mod. I don't think any serious effort should. Voice acting is one of those rare things to have, and is awesome if you can get it, but I'm firmly of the opinion that nobody should bother going out of there way to try for it. I certainly don't advocate cutting back on dialogue just because it won't be voiced.

I never had the impression anybody did. I know we're prepared to release without VA if necessary. I'd rather have a silent mod than one that's poorly voice acted. I've played a couple where I really wish they weren't VA'd :lol: In one case, muting the sound wasn't an option because the mod devs didn't even bother typing in all of the dialog - that was far worse than having a silent mod.

I meant in Morrowind, your "friends" would eventually address you by name, but that's not possible in Oblivion because "no one is going to voice act every possible name you could have." I don't care if it's voice acted. Actually, I'd be satisfied with "Player, blah blah" once in a while. Then you could use an imaginary mod to replace "player" with your name.Even the generic ones are more generic in oblivion, if you were a ranking member of a guild in Morrowind, other members, at the very least, addressed you by title. It's very rare in Oblivion. The majority of the time it's "Race,blah blah" or "associate, blah blah" (regardless of what your rank actually is.) Yes, I've been told before this is a small thing (I think "petty" was the word actually used); and obviously it doesn't stop me from playing-but it is one of the things I miss.

If a modder chooses to cut back on the dialogue in a quest then because they won't have voice acting then IMO they're cutting back on the quality of their mods. I mean, think about Ruin-Tail for a moment. Which makes me think of an interesting example that I went through. I spent quite a lot of time convincing SilentResident that not having lines voiced for the Fort Ordeal quest wasn't going to be an issue, but I don't think I would've been able to get anything nearly as good as I ended up with if I'd curtailed dialogue.

Yes, well, when you have text-only dialogue, using a $player$ variable works rather well. Or whatever the heck it was.I don't know about the rank thing for lower levels, but all of the guilds will refer to you by proper title once you're in control. Although with something like the DB that's not much of a consolation when the membership is all dead except for Arquen and her two newbies.I've seen other games with full voice handle player names by simply speaking the lines minus the name, but having it still show in the subtitles. That's never bothered me a whole lot. Better than trying to shoehorn some sort of cheap synthesized response in. Other stuff like The Witcher handles it by you assuming a set identity, so they can actually have the people call you by name.When I did my villages and ABR etc I made no plans to have voiced lines. If I one day get those, then I'll be thrilled to death, but most modders need to be practical about this and just assume it won't happen.Also, it wouldn't kill people to make new topics when appropriate. :P

Yes, well, when you have text-only dialogue, using a $player$ variable works rather well. Or whatever the heck it was.
that was it :)Completely silent would be fine. Skipping the name in the spoken part would be fine.That's actually a good idea, to just assume it's not going to happen (unless you do it yourself.)

Also' date=' it wouldn't kill people to make new topics when appropriate.[/quote']BLASPHEMY.Also, yeah, I miss the names and titles stuff. Text + minor voice acting was a superior way to do stuff, but of course we're never going back to that.

Sorry to change topics so radically, but I must celebrate a small occasion here.Well, several months and several patches later...I can finally play Call of Duty: Black Ops on my PC.What a let-down I had to wait six months before I could actually play it, especially since the game is actually performing extremely well with no major FPS drops even during the largest battles the game can throw at me.I still do not think I will be getting MW3 after this, but hey... at least I can finally play the game I paid good money for.

Wow, what happened there?...good game, btw. MW1+2 were more my speed, but for the most part not shabby.

I think I'll stick with Crysis for now. Between that, modding and playing FO3 sporadically as well as a occasional session's on Uncharted 2, I can't really see the point of buying a call of duty game (despite being released around the same time, Crysis is only $15 over steam while MW1 is $50, which is another deterrent for that matter).On that note its also keeping me from getting bored and flogging a pirated copy of New Vegas of my mates (they live of a philosophy that because they have unlimited internet usage they should be pirating something all the time). Though speaking of hell with games not working despite numerous patches :tongue:

Wow' date=' what happened there?

...good game, btw. MW1+2 were more my speed, but for the most part not shabby.[/quote']Treyarch blew it big time on the PC port. I checked my system against the minimums they put on the box, and it was certainly up to scratch.This is what happens when you get a dev who doesn't know how to code for the PC. Couple that with an engine that REALLY needs to be retired, and the overall poor optimization of the game itself... you get the picture.

Milage sure does vary there. I played it on PC, and I don't think I ever had more than a couple crashes. Same with F:NV, for that matter.Wonder why.

Do I need to say it... Squirrel Aliens. :PI've mentioned before that loads of people playing F:NV on PC report tons of crashes. Of course loads of people report the same with Witcher 2 but I had no issues with that. So definitely YMMV.

Been on an Andromeda marathon for the last week or soConclusion:Dylan Hunt > Malcolm Reynolds.Also, Andromeda is the most awsome Sci-Fi warship ever.And the Avatar... Lexa Doig...Excuse me, I need a smiley involving steam coming out my ears.

I liked Andromeda myself for the first couple of seasons, but they got really really strange somewhere in the 3rd or 4th season and that's about when everyone just gave up. I personally liked Firefly better all around and was glad they tied off all the loose ends in the Serenity movie.

You can follow it, but it did get chaotic after season two, ironically because they wanted a more episodic structure, the wheels started to come off. It's a bit sad it didn't run for six seasons, as another 22 episodes spread between season 3-4 would probably have fixed that. The way the ship's crew appears/dissapears in season 4 and the way they suddenly pop up in season 3, then completely dissapear is alos wierd, as is the the appearence and subsequent dissapearence of minor character half way through a season. I think the show suffered from being made on a shoestring, so all that background "scenary" in something like Star Trek, when you get the same ensign in every episode despite him never saying anything isn't there.It also suffered a bit from computor graphics not having quite "arrived" for the small screen until around season 4.Still, I love the charactatisation and the performances, Kevin Sorbo made a great lead, as "I'm not Captain Kirk but somethimes I pretend to be" Dylan Hunt and the way the AI fights the ship shows up just how silly space combat is in Star Trek.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of an under-performing game right now (specifically, it seems like my loading times have doubled for no reason). Since my hard drive had already been defragged about a day ago, I'm pretty sure I can rule that out.Possible candidates include: - OBGE (reverted to a pre-OBGE save to be sure) - A mod install that could have been done better (fixed that) - Junk files clogging the system (there wasn't much, actually) - Oblivion needs a spankingSo far, I've tested one thru three and that seems to have helped, but I need to go for longer than ten minutes playtime to be sure. In the meantime, if you have any ideas I haven't covered, let me know.

Overly aggressive AA settings in your video driver? I just recently realized I was pushing mine to 8xAA after trying to figure out why getting into thick grass was killing performance. Dropped back to 4x, smooth as silk. Yep, even with a beast of a system you can still murder things hardcore.

I don't have AA enabled at all. It was causing crashy game behavior for me (though I'm going to test that again when my new GPU arrives next month).Well, I think I might have nixed the problem. I'm attributing it to a botched mod installation.

So does anyone think it's a bit skewed that during the course of the Thieves Guild that the infamy awards are larger than for the Dark Brotherhood?

Sort of, sort of not. Most of your DB career is spent just murdering some random jackass somewhere (or other DB people), which is kind of societally bad, but not really of worldwide infamy. OTOH, some of those TG heists, especially the later ones, are pretty damn big deals to the whole of Cyrodiil.Could also just be odd quest design. That happens too. :P

I'm thinking odd quest design. Some of the kills you make in the DB are far more public, like the captain on the boat, but the thefts are considerably less public in most cases until you reach the later stages, where I don't' have a problem with larger infamy awards. The DB however doesn't seem to give more than 1 point for each quest along the way, while TG is giving 2 points for every quest.

I never noticed actually.But imo, TG was more difficult, especially the elder scroll finale.