Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

It makes sense. Everything else in my system rates 7.9 out of 8 on the Windows Experience thing 7 comes with. The hard drive is a 5.9 though. Which it told me was slow. It certainly would explain why certain disk intensive games (re: Oblivion) still can't unbind themselves completely from stutter issues no matter what I do. OSR removes most of them, but there's still that last little bit left. Even after a thorough defrag.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Another hub update about the dragon shouts, and the screenshot on the first page of the new article is up as well.

It makes sense. Everything else in my system rates 7.9 out of 8 on the Windows Experience thing 7 comes with. The hard drive is a 5.9 though. Which it told me was slow. It certainly would explain why certain disk intensive games (re: Oblivion) still can't unbind themselves completely from stutter issues no matter what I do. OSR removes most of them' date=' but there's still that last little bit left. Even after a thorough defrag.[/quote']Hehe, my desktop computer might be able to boast such things, but my laptop only rates thusly:
Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz 5.0 -> 5.0 Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB -> 5.0 Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT -> 5.9 Gaming graphics 2047 MB Total available graphics memory -> 5.5 Primary hard disk 79GB Free (285GB Total) -> 5.3 Windows Vista Home Premium System -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Manufacturer Dell Inc. Model XPS M1530 Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system Number of processor cores 2 Storage -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total size of hard disk(s) 295 GB Disk partition © 79 GB Free (285 GB Total) Disk partition (D) 3 GB Free (10 GB Total) Media drive (E) CD/DVD Graphics -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Total available graphics memory 2047 MB Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 1791 MB Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8621 Primary monitor resolution 1280x800 DirectX version DirectX 10 Network -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Network Adapter Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter Network Adapter Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card
In short' date=' my hard drive isn't quite as good as my video card, but it's better than my RAM or CPU. :shrug:
Another hub update about the dragon shouts' date=' and the screenshot on the first page of the new article is up as well.[/quote']No link or quote? :(

It would be difficult to quote 3 pages worth of text. The hub link is in the OP :P

Ok, presumably I got the right article then. It certainly sounds pretty interesting, especially the stuff about the new dragon language they came up with, and it definitely explains the use of runes that appear cuneiform in nature. I still say the whole idea sounds rather similar to what was done in Diablo II for the Barbarian class, but they've added the concept of holding the skill for a build-up. Personally, I think it would've been even cooler if they could've left an effect for each word and allowed players to effectively create any combinations of words they wanted, but I can easily see where that could've truly become an epic undertaking to develop.

Well it's just as likely everyone is ripping off the even older Ultima rune based magic system. Diablo hasn't done anything original here :PUltima's system did let you combine runes in ingenious ways to create custom spells. Sometimes they worked, other times it just blew up in your face. It was greatness that I've NEVER seen duplicated again by another game.

I never tried Ultima, but, yes, that's exactly the sort of system I was thinking of. Something like the way magic is described as working in the Dragon Rider series where basically anything can be magically done, at a personal cost, if you string together the right combination of words in the ancient tongue that is used to control the magic.

Bah - magic is for small children and elves.Give me a big sword, and a big beard.One that burns, preferably.

So... any thoughts on how legit this is?http://h-5.abload.de/img/skyrim20map20on20wallhm7v.jpgIf it's legit, that should give us a pretty damn good idea of what the 5 major cities are, along with a host of other interesting things.

Completely, IMHO. It's a map on the wall of Bethesda HQ pointed out by Todd Howard on a video tour that got linked somewhere. That version's blown up a bit from what I saw, but looks about right.

Looks legit to me. If you go back to the article and how they describe Skyrim - rocky to the west, icy, glaciers, snow to the north, and tundra in the middle.I only see 4 cities though...Whiterun, Eastmarch, Windhelm, Riften ... where's the 5th?

How did I miss that video? That's pretty cool. An awesome place to work for.On that map, I see: Whiterun, Windhelm, Riften, and Solitude (the big blur toward the upper left). I'm not entirely sure from this that Eastmarch is a city vs a region. Assuming that ruin from the earlier screenshot is it, then Markarth Side is the 5th major city.BTW, the embed works fine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5zVawg-J-w

Good video eh?That map is probably the most interesting thing that we have been shown so far.I hope that the colored dots represent things more significant than than you're average everyday cave/ruin though as otherwise I think the place may be bit empty.

Dunno, but copy/pasting the embed code right into a Youtube code box here lagged out and failed badly.[edit] *looks at your post via edit* Oh. Ever think about making clear that you want the url of the video, and NOT the YouTube embed code? Like, in the popup in the Youtube button? Because that isn't particularly clear or in line with the way embeds work in the rest of the world. Just saying.

Actually, unless other forums are doing nasty things, using the embed code is a seriously bad idea. Also, an embed code is NOT a URL. It's HTML code, which has no place being inserted by the user in any sort of uncontrolled setting. That's why QSFP (and QSF before it) should be escaping the tags so they won't do anything.So the rest of the world can wallow in their insecure behavior if they want. Use the URL - the share button exists on Youtube for a reason.But yes, I'll see where QSFP wants the wording to specify what it's asking for. I might even go forth and use the code Google provides for causing it to embed the nicer looking control format.

Fixed btw. You'll probably have to force refresh so the javascript will update but it's in, and you should be able to tell the difference in the style of the embedded window. :)

So... any thoughts on how legit this is?http://h-5.abload.de/img/skyrim20map20on20wallhm7v.jpg
I would assume' date=' given the youtube video Dwip tried to embed for us, that it is legit. But my other thought on it would be along the lines of "damn, that's a nice map. I wish my game's world map we've made was that nice..." :sigh:
Why would you want a big beard that burns? :P
Skyrim is cold. :grinning:
:lol: OIC ;)
If you go back to the article and how they describe Skyrim - rocky to the west' date=' icy' date=' glaciers, snow to the north, and tundra in the middle.[/quote'']I still say it sounds awfully reminiscent of Icewind Dale.. if not the game, then the book series by R.A. Salvadore...
[edit] *looks at your post via edit* Oh. Ever think about making clear that you want the url of the video' date=' and NOT the YouTube embed code? Like, in the popup in the Youtube button? Because that isn't particularly clear or in line with the way embeds work in the rest of the world. Just saying.[/quote']No, no, no! That's not clear so that it discourages all but the knowledgeable and the truly determined from embedding youtube videos on us. ;)While they [youtube videos] can be really cool at times and such, generally they're bandwidth killers. :(
Actually' date=' unless other forums are doing nasty things, using the embed code is a seriously bad idea. Also, an embed code is NOT a URL. It's HTML code, which has no place being inserted by the user in any sort of uncontrolled setting. That's why QSFP (and QSF before it) should be escaping the tags so they won't do anything.[/quote']I would think that, as long as it's confined somehow to only accept html that's specific to the sequence used by youtube's embed code (or something similar to control what html can be inserted directly through that function), allowing for the embedding of certain html really ought to be okay and would even allow for a means to insert other nifty things like google maps and such too.

Except that we don't live in an ideal world where all URLs are created equal, and not all HTML functions the same.BBCode is not any more ideal, but if used properly, it doesn't lead to disasters. It was at least partially a failing in how the Youtube tag was being processed that allowed it to accept the embed code and then promptly choke and die on the results. It shouldn't allow for incorrect URLs now. No system is perfect and can't ever be, but hopefully it's been made more clear and will behave as expected. Perhaps in an ironic twist, using the button now with a proper URL translates it into the embed tag anyway once it's done, but at least it's at the discretion of the parser which is at least partially outside the user's control.Sometimes I really wonder why it is people prefer to just slap any old HTML code anywhere at random and not expect that to have potential security issues. Hackers love unsanitized HTML input. Developers hate trying to outthink the hackers. Filtering random garbage rarely works out in favor of the forum operator stuck in the middle.

It was at least partially a failing in how the Youtube tag was being processed that allowed it to accept the embed code and then promptly choke and die on the results. It shouldn't allow for incorrect URLs now. No system is perfect and can't ever be' date=' but hopefully it's been made more clear and will behave as expected. Perhaps in an ironic twist, using the button now with a proper URL translates it into the embed tag anyway once it's done, but at least it's at the discretion of the parser which is at least partially outside the user's control.[/quote']Hmm, and youtube doesn't offer two forms of embed code like google maps and such do to accomodate direct html embedding versus direct linking or what not? Too bad youtube (and google maps) don't offer the various bbcode style versions of their embed code to accomodate forums the way some of those quiz sites do.
Sometimes I really wonder why it is people prefer to just slap any old HTML code anywhere at random and not expect that to have potential security issues. Hackers love unsanitized HTML input. Developers hate trying to outthink the hackers. Filtering random garbage rarely works out in favor of the forum operator stuck in the middle.
Well, yeah, but the idea is to cater to the site user, not the developer or the forum operator for the forum that the user's going to be sicking this bit of code into.. of course, ideally, the idea's not really to cater to the hacker either, but, as you say, it's not an ideal world and no system's ever going to be perfect. :shrug:

OK, I think I'm brokem. I have the youtube of the Skyrim theme as a playlist copied 20 times so I can listen to it over and over again.Funny how the more times you listen the more it sounds like English.

Are you quite certain that's not just a wee bit excessive, mate?Perhaps after listening to it that many times in a row you're not really hearing it anymore at all and are just beginning to let your brain assign values to the sounds subconsciously?