Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Well, there are actually lots of mods that make the distances in Oblivion feel more realistic. Paradoxically, what these actually do is make them more unrealistic! (It's 4,755 feet or ~7/8 of a mile) from Weye to Skingrad. That means if your character has a speed of 50 (exactly average) he should be able to walk (as opposed to run) there in ~17 minutes(gametime as opposed to real time.)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Which is why the time needs to pass faster in game than in real life...Anyway, I reckon a landmass around two times the size of the one in oblivion is pretty reasonable to ask the devs for, and won't be too big to cause any problems either.

As a strictly player (as opposed to modder), I don't know that I really care how realistic or not distances between sites in-game might be as long as I'm not having to spend all of my available gaming time walking them. So, ultimately, I'm with prettyfly on this one, Dallen, I'd much rather see game time pass more quickly than real time so that having to travel doesn't feel like it takes forever, even if it means my character's walking speed is effectively totally superhuman. As far as total landmass for the game.. :shrug: It's just not a big deal to me as long as I don't have to watch my character amble along all day real time to travel as needed. If I must spend hours of real time traveling, at least give me stuff to do along the way that still gets me there but keeps me from feeling like I'm playing hiker rather than adventurer. I don't even mind exploring more than actually adventuring sometimes, but if I'm playing an adventure game, well, give me some adventures worth writing home about, so to speak.

Well, yea. I'm with you guys on the time thing to. I don't want to spend a half hour real time going from point A to point B. I play on a 10-1 scale (which seems to be pretty common, plus it's what one or the other of my 60+ mods picked for me). I was just saying there's a lot of mods out there to make the landmass feel bigger, if that's what you want. I was also saying Cyrodiil is 'supposed' to be a relatively small country, of course since the roads aren't straight and level, you add some distance....

Well if point A is on one side of the game area and point B is on the other, half an hour of real time to cross that wouldn't bother me. Oblivion can be crossed end to end in about 10-15 minutes real time.It sounds like you guys are talking about the in-game timescale, which is a whole other thing.

No, I don't mind if it takes days of game time to cross from one side of the world to the other, it's when i have got to spend hours of real time actively making my character walk it that I get annoyed. Even if it's going to take me half an hour real time I'm probably going to get bored along the way, but longer than that and i'm well beyond just bored.

Well if point A is on one side of the game area and point B is on the other' date=' half an hour of real time to cross that wouldn't bother me. Oblivion can be crossed end to end in about 10-15 minutes real time. [/quote']Well, yes. It also depends on whether or not your running OOO or UL, plus you have to factor geography, what your carrying etc. It actually makes sense that it would take ~a day to get from Chorral to Cheydinhall for example. (Providing that you stop to camp/an inn along the way when it gets to be night time.) Plus, it's not "as bad" when your hike is broken up by the occasional battle/conversation.

Exactly, if there's stuff to do along the way, I don't even mind so much but when you've already cleared an area but still have to recross it, or when you've got wide essentially barren expanses to traverse... ugh.

Just saw the trailer today.muh hu muh hu.Gonna need me a new longsword for this one. I reckon 32 inches of nordic whychforged steel should suffice.

Oh, interesting, a new runic language. And the cover art sounds like an awesome gimmick too. I guess I need to go see if the bookstores have copies yet :P

They say don't expect copies on the shelves until at least the 14th. Subscribers should get it by the 10th though.

Well that's somewhat agonizing then, because I am not a subscriber and don't intend to become one for one magazine. I'll settle for what they've teased us with again for now :P

Oh' date=' interesting, a new runic language. And the cover art sounds like an awesome gimmick too. I guess I need to go see if the bookstores have copies yet :P[/quote']nit pick: That's not a runic language, it looks much more like a cuneform one.Still awsome though.

Actually, it's not that far fetched. According to the "off to the side" lore, dragons are an highly intelligent, highly civilized species/society. They just avoid the "lesser beings".

Yes, dragon language. Makes perfect sense because in the lore, they are as gods. The gods would surely speak their own god-tongue and not the tongues of their mere mortal creations, right?I mean, I could roll my eyes and say something like "Ayleid tongue? Come on..."

Yes, sure, dragons are intelligent, and I'm sure they plot and gossip and joke and jest amongst themselves in their dragon-tongue. That doesn't mean I have to believe that any mere mortal knows what they are saying and has translated it. It's only what us mere mortals have decided that's what it says, and that's what far-fetched.Ditto on the Ayleids.

The Greybeards know, and it's presumed the guy giving the trailer speech knows, so it's not that far fetched. I'm having a really hard time feeling where all this unbridled hostility toward the whole thing is coming from. It's seriously starting to look like everyone WANTS Skyrim to suck so they can prance around telling everyone they were right about how awful it was.Ayleid language exists, and the game even told you in a roundabout way that some or all of the language has been translated. I seriously think too many people got hung up on "level scaling bad, game sucketh hardcore" and refuse to appreciate the parts that don't suck.Does. Not. Compute.

I made one comment.... did it sound hostile? Actually, the only thing about Ayleid language and translation that sticks out is from The Lost Spires. I don't recall anything of the sort in vanilla. Correct me if I'm wrong.Sometimes my rational mind just takes over. It forgets we're all talking about a fantasy role-playing game.

It isn't just you, it's a whole lot of people running around about how terrible all this is and how lame it's coming off. Vastly outnumbered of course by the people who happen to think it's way cool and adds quite a bit to the world as a whole. Like me :PSideways Cave. The dead scholars lying about have tablets where they were trying to translate some text about why the Old City was evacuated.Mages Guild, one of the quests you go into a ruin where they've got an actual archeological expedition going, and solving it involves more translation.The only real stretch is that all the ruins have Ayleid names and nobody ever tells you how those names were discovered, let alone translated into something meaningful. So yeah, maybe they dropped the ball a bit there, but it's hardly fair to slam the whole idea because Lost Spires took it to extremes.

Actually, in one of the Mages guild quests, your sent to one of the ruins and there's a team there translating the Ayeliid tongue. Part of it is you have to ask *whoever* to translate for you.Anyway, even if you want to be "rational", there's no logical reason it would be *impossible* to translate Dragon or Ayeliid. We translate ancient languages in r/l often enough to know it's possible.Ninja'd by Samson.But it was your second comment that sounded hostile.