Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Its will be interesting to see how radiant story is constructed behind the scenes though. Getting quests to simply have multiple options in Oblivion is a bitch (it doesn't help that I am overly ambitious about it though), so I'm presuming that the quest will have to be constructed in a fairly different way.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

I agree with you, prettyfly. The whole Radiant Story thing will be a challenge. Unless the kit has options to help alleviate the pain of multiple outcomes, who knows. I do hope a simple quest creation is painless though.If we don't get good modders to do quests, at least we'll have new Arthmoor villages. :)

@Conner: Yes. Creation Kit is what the new CS is called. It's pretty much a first that we've had it confirmed this far in advance.
But is it really the same interface that Bethesda's using to do world creation this time? I expect that you're right about the licensing issues (and OMG that's crazy expensive for SpeedTree :crazy:)' date=' but despite the way advance notice on it, I'll bet we'll still have to wait and see what actually ships to find out it's capabilities.
@Conner - Since the radiant story stuff is more of a design issue than a tools issue' date=' I imagine you'll see for Skyrim what you saw for Oblivion - high quality mods by good authors will likely make use of the system (or explain why they aren't), and your middle of the pack/lower quality mods either won't, or won't know how/know it's there.[/quote']I'm not sure you worded that the way you meant to, but I'll infer that you meant to say essentially that you're expecting more high end mods and less crap mods with Skyrim, which sounds good to me. I far prefer quality to quantity, personally.
Its will be interesting to see how radiant story is constructed behind the scenes though. Getting quests to simply have multiple options in Oblivion is a bitch (it doesn't help that I am overly ambitious about it though)' date=' so I'm presuming that the quest will have to be constructed in a fairly different way.[/quote']
I agree with you' date=' prettyfly. The whole Radiant Story thing will be a challenge. Unless the kit has options to help alleviate the pain of multiple outcomes, who knows. I do hope a simple quest creation is painless though.If we don't get good modders to do quests, at least we'll have new Arthmoor villages. :)[/quote']I also think it'll be interesting to see how they approach the behind the scenes of quests with dynamic outcomes, hopefully since they're aiming for an entirely dynamic game quests will be much easier to make with multiple outcomes but it'l definitely require a very different approach given what I've heard (mostly from y'all) about the challenges of giving a quest more than a single linear seqeunce.Agreed, worst case scenario is that we'll at least still get new villages and equipment and ... from folks like Arthmoor and Dwip. ;)

And for a change, it's Arthmoor doing the stealth posts on me. :lol:Sounds cool, but do you suppose that means we've just got Dwemer stuff this time instead of Daedric and Ayleid?

No telling. None of the other screenshots in the magazine show surface ruins.

So. An astute observer asked:

And got an official response:

Markarth Side is a Dwemer ruin!

That's kinda a big assumption based on an "Um.." answer. :huh:

Totally did not see the link. Barely noticed the "um" hehe. So you guys are the experts. Does that look like a Dwemer ruin?

@Conner - What I meant by that statement is this:In Oblivion, there are various features like voiced dialogue, rumors, worldspaces, regions, and some other things that were capabilities of Oblivion's CS and engine. You could do them, and it was possible if you expended the effort. They weren't necessary, but people who were aiming for quality, Bethesda level mods did these things. People who didn't have the skills or didn't want to acquire the skills (not the same thing), did not do these things, and thus lacked a certain level of polish to their mods. I expect that Skyrim's radiant story stuff, as I understand it, will be much the same way. People who really care about creating polished, Bethesda-level stuff will use it, people who don't know how or don't care won't.Also yay, Dwemer ruins. You know, one of the big reasons I want to go play Morrowind again is because Dwemer ruins were awesome?

@Hana: It doesn't look like any of the Dwemer ruins I remember from Morrowind, but then those were unoccupied and had been allowed to decay into, well, ruins. Markarth Side is supposed to be a presently populated city, so if it's of Dwemer origin it stands to reason they've kept it up all this time. And it's also possible it wasn't even built in the same style as those ruins in Morrowind.

@Samson: Fair enough point. Guess we've got something else still waiting for the release to be determined. :shrug:@Dwip: Ah, I understand. So you figure it'll still be possible to create quests and stuff under strictly the older methods then, and that we'll still have uncountable masses of mods out there eventually, but the ones that are quality will still really stand out. Sounds reasonable enough, I suppose, but I really would much prefer to find far fewer mods that were all of a higher quality. :shrug:@Samson/Hana: Bethesda could also have simply chosen to take artistic license with the new game and broken away a bit from the look they used in Morrowind in favor of something they decided that they liked a bit better.

As far as I know F:NV didn't trigger the issue so it's taking off better since modding for it isn't as much of a hassle' date=' aside from being infected with Steam.[/quote']Steam integration was an Obsidian Entertainment call, not Bethesda.

Be that as it may, Kayle, I'm not too sure that whose decision it was has an impact on the moddability.. (is that even remotely close to being a word?)

If this means there are dwemer ruins, then it'll be a big thumbs up for the game (all we now need are some Ayleid ruins along the relevant borders). Or at least, it shows the game developers aren't getting lazy.

Steam integration was an Obsidian Entertainment call' date=' not Bethesda.[/quote']I hope you're right, lots of people have said as much, but neither Bethesda nor Obsidian has ever officially confirmed who made that call.

@prettyfly: Not to naysay, but, how do you figure that dregding back up something from Morrowind shows the devs aren't getting lazy? (Though still having other ruins and appropriate artifacts with a type we didn't see in Oblivion would be awfully nice...)@Samson, er, Arthmoor/Kayle: Even if it wasn't Bethesda's call to use Steam for F:NV, that doesn't mean Bethesda won't decide that it worked well enough for F:NV that they'll go ahead and use it for Skyrim too. :(

Well' date=' Ob couldn't even do the loading cells around you well. Even on my high-end PC I still get "loading area" messages.[/quote']A SSD will certainly help you in this regard. I recently changed to one, and I'm very happy with it. No more loading stutters for me.

Want to buy me one, Tommy? :lol:So I just stumbled on this over at BGS Skyrim forum. Some comments in a Creation Engine and Kit thread. Makes you go hmm...

Hopefully there will be a Nexus Client coming out before the launch of Skyrim as well that will make it super easy to get those juicy mods in to your game. It's all happening in the mod community these days.
Hmmm' date=' are you eluding to some sort of technical collaboration with Bethesda that would link the mod site directly to the game through an official mod manger of some sort?[/quote']
No' date=' not with Bethesda. Just envisage OBMM or FOMM meets the Nexus in a crack-lounge and that's the sort of thing that's being worked on :) [/quote']Eh? Anybody heard of this? (I don't read the Nexus forums)

I see no mention of it in Dark0ne's Creation Kit entry in the news section and their Skyrim area is just as disjointed and chaotic as the one at BGS, so your quote snippets aren't really helping narrow something down.I very much doubt Bethesda is going to go so far as to write an official mod manager. Not unless lightning struck Todd Howard and made him see the light or something. Yes, the CK is coming, but official mod management tools beyond that are quite another.It is quite possible that Nexus may be looking to do an official Nexus style mod manager thing though. They're going to want to solidify their position for Skyrim mods. Not like they were going to have trouble with that anyway. PES sure as hell won't outdo them on it and there aren't any other major players out there.

A SSD will certainly help you in this regard. I recently changed to one' date=' and I'm very happy with it. No more loading stutters for me.[/quote']Why would a solid state drive make a difference?
So I just stumbled on this over at BGS Skyrim forum. Some comments in a Creation Engine and Kit thread. Makes you go hmm...[...]Eh? Anybody heard of this? (I don't read the Nexus forums)
Um, yeah, Hmm sounds about right.. I don't read the Nexus forums either. :shrug: ..but I'm with Samson in thinking that it sounds like the Owner of Nexus has some sort of plan in mind for something of his own creation to me.

An SSD measures seek times in nanoseconds. Mechanical drives measure them in milliseconds. HUGE difference in responsiveness. Provided you can afford the insane prices.

Ah, ok, I can see where that'd make a difference, but honestly it certainly shouldn't be a difference that's worth the exorbitant prices they carry at this point. Can it be that huge a difference?

Well, Tommy_H is only confirming everything I've ever heard about SSD drives so far. Night and day difference in response times from Windows as well as games.