Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Sweet! ( and sadly I missed out on the big bang when this footage was released due to being away).Anyway, I think you guys have covered most that needs to pointed out already. However, I did get a feel from the graphics that Bethesda's interest may have been more in getting a strong feel and theme to the appearance in terms of coloring and texturing rather than getting as high a resolution textures as possible and trying to make it look real-life. Which sits fine with me.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Ok, finally got a chance to watch the new trailer. It definitely looks way better than the original one, though I thought it was pretty cool that they basically just redid the original trailer with the new material added in. I do agree with prettyfly that you'll appear to already have covered everything pretty thoroughly.Cute scene by scene review, and the comments submitted were pretty funny too. I do have to agree with one of the comments that the waterfall scene actually gave me pause to consider the poor graphic depiction compared to everything else though.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since the Skyrim thread got any attention, but there's a good new interview with Todd up at IGN.You Blender Gods will be happy:

We still use the nif file format, because it worked fine for what we're doing and our modders know it well.

Good question, although I'm fairly well convinced their CS/GECK/CK was written independently of any ties to Gamebryo and so they don't need to deal with Gamebryo in order to keep using the format. The article does blur the lines a bit into making it sound like Creation Engine is just a massive upgrade to Gamebryo. I very much doubt that though. Gamebryo wasn't capable of a lot of what people expect.

Kinda disappointing. I was expecting a lot more than the existing blocky basic .kf animations.

I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing .kf files again. They're going to be using a different animation system. I'd guess that the.nif files will be for the static models instead.

Someone at TESA mentioned both nifs/kf's that's why I commented. I haven't read the article yet though.I'm still ... I dunno. Think about it. That pretty much means that thousands of mods can be used the day Skyrim launches, well, depending on texture format which I don't see why they'd change from .dds. And that means the same old shit ported to my brand new game.I'm still disappointed. I expected better.(wonders if it's all just an early April fools joke)

Well lets keep perspective here. When Oblivion came out, there weren't assloads of Morrowind mods being ported over. That wouldn't even have been possible. The master files held nothing in common so you couldn't just pick up Balmora and paste it into Cyrodiil. Oblivion didn't ship with any of the models and textures from the previous game.It's fairly obvious from all the media we've been shown that Skyrim will have entirely different assets. It will obviously be an entirely different set of master files. It won't be possible to just pick up Oblivion mods and drop them into Skyrim.Now, obviously, 3rd party models and textures are going to be interchangeable. Nothing much we can do about that. However that never became an issue after Morrowind so I doubt it will after Oblivion either.The whole mess with F:NV being able to use assets from FO3 was because Bethesda and Obsidian got lazy as hell and the two games overlap easily 60% of their content with each other. Yes, including direct ID to ID relationships in the master ESM files. F:NV even has the entire Mothership Zeta collection of assets included standard. That's the only reason it's been possible to have direct mod ports from one game to the other.I've even seen evidence that the actual worldspace is the exact same one from FO3, just with new names and new texturing to hide the details. Pretty damn sad.

I've even seen evidence that the actual worldspace is the exact same one from FO3' date=' just with new names and new texturing to hide the details. Pretty damn sad.[/quote']I don't see this as possible. The worldspace for NV isn't as big as FO3. At least it didn't seem to be.

My understanding is that the worldspace in F:NV was artificially shrunk with invisible barriers, but it's still the same worldspace.I saw a project the other day that heavily implied they were opening the world out to cover the parts you can't get to because of those barriers and during their testing they claimed to have found leftover stuff from FO3 still out there.

Well, being that I don't have NV on the computer, I couldn't really tell you, I have it for Xbox like I have FO3 for Xbox and the world seems a lot smaller than FO3.

Well it would. If they had to reduce the available space and put in barriers, the world would feel smaller.

Maybe, but none of it felt the same as FO3. I mean, it really felt like a whole new worldspace. And there's no way all they did was paint over stuff in the capital wasteland, there's entirely different terrain in NV.And if they did? So what? Why reinvent the wheel?

Not saying it's entirely bad, but you did mention it felt smaller and that's why :)They altered the terrain in the game space used by F:NV. I don't have the game so I can't check, but I'm given to understand that if you go far enough outside the existing borders you will find where F:NV editing stops and leftovers from FO3 show up. You wouldn't normally see them in an unmodified game. Much like in Oblivion where there's stuff north of the mountains but you don't usually see it.The reason it's bad that they did things this way is that it resulted in a whole lot of really bad ports of FO3 mods directly to F:NV with little or no effort made to customize them to their new areas beyond making them technically work. People are obviously hoping this doesn't end up happening in Skyrim. I doubt it will, but the possibility does exist, however remote. Bethesda has been lazy enough themselves to recycle existing test cells for Oblivion DLCs.

They've stated that the Skyrim engine was built from scratch though, I'm pretty sure, so this shouldn't be anywhere near possible with Skyrim. :shrug:

I doubt it will' date=' but the possibility does exist, however remote. Bethesda has been lazy enough themselves to recycle existing test cells for Oblivion DLCs.[/quote']I have a suspicion that the Beth guys had a "little" ESM they used to build stuff before merging it into Oblivion ESM, if most of that was test cells it goes to explain a lot. Let's face it, it would be even easier to copy a blank "dummy" cell, so where's the laziness? That particular raft of bugs have to come from bad practice, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like someone snagged some new pics, including an Orc and a Khajiit. Pretty impressive. Watch the whole slideshow.http://www.jeuxvideo.com/screenshots/images/00028/00028037_001.htm

Holy crap, that Khajiit looks awesome. Not to mention the area he's featured in too. Same with the Orc. Bethesda is really going all out for this one.

Doesn't he though? No more cartoonish cat. I love the orc's hair! lolI snagged the waterfall pic for my wallpaper, it's just amazing.

notice the Orc has a broken tusk?I wonder if you can choose that sort of thing. Being able to pick tats, noses and teeth in addition hair and beard would be awsome.

• 4 weeks later...

I dunno, what he was saying made sense to me. Not sure how it'll play, but I can see where they're coming from - the core stats in Oblivion WERE a little bit redundant in some ways.Things of more interest to me:- Did I hear "12-20 perks per skill in a perk tree" correctly? That's potentially super cool.- About 3:00, how about that dragon death animation? Is that badass or what?

As much as I like the core stats, there's no reason why losing them should be a bad thing for Skyrim. As long as there is decent specialization options available, it should be fine.