Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

I stand corrected, she humbly says with a smile on her face. (Because I've never done the MG)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

The new cover does look pretty interesting. We'll have to wait and see what the article says once it's out.Runic, cuneiform, it's still a new language. :shrug:Wow, the twits on the other forums must be really bad to have Samson that touchy. :(I've only started the MG quests myself, I kinda put them on hold while I worked on the brotherhood and the Fighter's Guild quests and the Thieves Guild quests. :shrug:

Actually' date=' in one of the Mages guild quests, your sent to one of the ruins and there's a team there translating the Ayeliid tongue. Part of it is you have to ask *whoever* to translate for you.

Anyway, even if you want to be "rational", there's no logical reason it would be *impossible* to translate Dragon or Ayeliid. We translate ancient languages in r/l often enough to know it's possible.

Ninja'd by Samson.

But it was your second comment that sounded hostile.[/quote']We translate ancient languages based on their modern relatives decendants, or as in the case of Egyptian, we use ancient translations to walk it back. Ayleid is a dialect of High Evlen, so you'd just walk it through Aldameri, and you're good to go.Just like you can walk Ancient Greek through modern Greek and read it almost straight off, or Armenian through Latin.Dragon, on the other hand, is probably a seperate language group, so translating it without a Grammar and a vocabulary to work from that already references another language would be impossible. Presumably the Greybeards were taught it by a Dragon at some point.I also presume the one talking in the trailer is a Greybeard. "You should have acted" implies detachment from politics and powerplays, which is what the Greybeards are known for.

For anyone who didn't know (because I didn't), GameInformer magazine is exclusive to GameStop stores.I was just in my local store and they said they should have it in a week or so.

Official Trailer:

Kind of sounds like Beth decided to not follow the story in well, whatever that book was that Giskard based TEC off of.

Or, you know, Giskard got the whole thing all wrong since he's not an official lore source? :PAnything based in the 4th era as far as mods is pure speculation that never had any foundation behind it.Keep in mind though, we don't have a clue what the timeline is yet. Skyrim might be immediately after Oblivion, or it could be after Infernal City. If it's after Infernal City, then that's >40 years down the road. Bethesda has indicated already that they consider Infernal City to be canon btw.@Hana: That's good to know because the Barnes & Noble had no idea what magazine I was on about, and they don't have it on the shelves anyway. I think there's a Gamestop in Chino Hills so I won't have to go too far to get it :P

You know, I did know that about Game Informer, I just didn't even think about it when Samson mentioned watching for at bookstores. :(

Anyone else seen this yet? From BGS Skyrim forum. A post on confirmed features from someone who already has the mag.

-2-handed weapons and duel wielding confirmed.-A variation of level scaling.-18 skills.-Perk picking at every level-up-Finishing moves, unique to each weapon and enemy you fight.-Dynamic Shadows-Kids-Overhauled Combat-system Example :(Dual wielding spells, able to pick diffrent spells for each hand, or put the same in both for a more powerful effect.)Radiant story-5 Major Cities-Improved Faces/Improved Models Example: Faces have been dramatically overhauled. Characters now exhibit more emotion show of distinctions between different races and just plain looks better.-Radiant AI-Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground)Trees and branches move independently with the windWater flows and huge draw distances !-The Hero has a mentor: His name is Esbern and Voiced by Mark Von Sydow (Surviving Blade)-The game takes place 2 centuries after Oblivion-Initiating a conversation between a NPC no longer zooms: Quote (Conversations aren't done in a zoomed in static shot anymore. Start a conversation with some and they will act like someone would in real life, looking at you occasionally and walking around a bit and also continue doing a task if they were doing one while talking.)-Sprint is added !-Randomly generated quests.-Beards- Dialog will pop up when you approach an enemy- You can't run backwards as fast as you do forward.- 10 races to choose from- confirmed creatures: zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth, saber-toothed cats- presumeably open cities (as dragons can attack)- cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing-Hud-free first-person view and improved third-person perspective-5 Magic Schools Destruction Alteration Conjuration Restoration Illusion. (Alchemy Enchant (now added) are not magic schools (?) )-very unique landscapes! Also unique dungeons! In other words, lots of uniqueness!-Character creation improved, body features customizable-Radiant story-Plot: The plot is that you are possibly the last Dragonborn, a group characterized by their ability to hunt dragons. The Septim line was a prominent Dragonborn line protected by the Dragonguards which eventually became the blades. After the death of the Septim line, the Blades were hunted down and killed one by one and now are almost completely gone. The return of the dragons was foretold in the Elder Scrolls and was ushered in by the destruction of the Staff of Chaos, the creation of the Numidium, the events at Red Mountain and the Oblivion Crisis. The last event to unfold before the dragons return was the people of Skyrim turning against each other which is happening at the beginning of the game. Dragons start to appear in greater and greater numbers as the game goes on and will eventually culminate with Alduin possibly coming into the world, but we have no idea yet.-Combat: The combat system has once again been overhauled. Now you may choose what you place in each hand, whether it be a sword and shield, dagger and sword, two swords or even a weapon in one hand and a spell in another. Assaulting with your shield is now apart of melee combat, being able to shield bash them to stagger them to give yourself an advantage in combat. Spells can now be dedicated to a certain hand meaning you can fight with your left hand aflame while your right hand is charged with lightning. Ranged combat has been improved by increasing the damage bows deal significantly, so much so that it is possible for one to one shot an npc from stealth but also so the draw time of your bow has been increased. Ranged combat shouldn't be able to be abused from stealth like in Oblivion due to the fact that NPCs are FAR more intelligent than any TES game ever and possibly any game to date, we shall see.
"Kids" Bah. Not excited about that.Open Cities though.

Definitely hadn't seen that yet. I agree about the kids, that doesn't sound like an improvement. On the other hand, dual-wielded spells sounds pretty nifty.Radiant story/ai??

Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground) Trees and branches move independently with the wind Water flows and huge draw distances !
That aspect sounds pretty good too.
The Hero has a mentor: His name is Esbern and Voiced by Mark Von Sydow (Surviving Blade)
Guess that answers that question, nope, we still don't get to play the hero.Two centuries? So much for immediately after or 40 years later.Randomly generated quests?Beards? Are they really that big a deal?"Dialog will pop up when you approach an enemy" ??"confirmed creatures: zombies, skeletons, trolls, giants, ice wraiths, giant spiders, dragons, wolves, horses Elk, mammoth, saber-toothed cats"Sounds like we're being taken to Icewind Dale for Skyrim... ;)"cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing"Woohoo, now I can spend my RPG time plowing a field... :facepalm:Radiant story made the list twice and I didn't quite catch what it meant either time. :(So, shield bash doesn't work in Oblivion? :head scratching:

Well, actually there were kids in Arena and Daggerfall (an important element in some of the quests for the later) and one of the most popular mods for Morrowind added them. (The modder had planed to make one for Oblivion, too, but it didn't work out.)

Kids are one of those community hot button issues, apparently. Or they were in Oblivion/FO3, anyway.Sounds pretty good so far, although:- What the hell is a "radiant story" anyway?- Apparently we lost three MORE freaking skills? OTOH, Fallout-style perk system is probably win.- Beards will make Sigurd happy anyway. :P- Random quests are either going to be really good or really bad. We'll see when we get there.- Your mentor can't be a real mentor unless he's a shirtless skooma addict.

Assuming that guy isn't trolling the forum with BS....

-Dynamic Shadows
About damn time, I say!
-5 Major Cities
Suggestive of a smaller, but perhaps more focused game? Skyrim is smaller than Cyrodiil, so....
-Improved Faces/Improved Models
Sounds good to me.
-The Hero has a mentor: His name is Esbern and Voiced by Mark Von Sydow (Surviving Blade)
Still no confirmation about who the hero is, the player, or another NPC the player knows/travels with/whatever. I do like that they got Max (not Mark) to do the voice.
-Updated Engine Snow falls dynamically (not as a basic texture on the ground)Trees and branches move independently with the windWater flows and huge draw distances !
Definitely not Gamebryo then since it's not capable of producing that stuff. Should put the whole Gamebryo debate to rest at long last. I still want to know if it falls through the roof of a building/other cover.
-The game takes place 2 centuries after Oblivion
Erm. Ok. That's bound to piss off a whole lot of people who assumed the events of Infernal City would preclude such a thing, but does confirm the original Amazon.com leak was valid. It does in fact leave plenty of room for the Skyrim civil war the trailer said was coming.
- presumeably open cities (as dragons can attack)
Never assume. That one will need to be confirmed concretely. Just because there are dragons does not mean that the cities are open cities.
- cooking/farming/mining/woodcutting/blacksmithing
I see the devs have taken notice of the MMM add-on. :P
-very unique landscapes! Also unique dungeons! In other words, lots of uniqueness!
That all remains to be seen. We were promised the moon once before and they failed to deliver.
-Hud-free first-person view and improved third-person perspective
I suppose I can get behind that. I still like to have some indication of my health though. Perhaps they just reduced it to the point where it's no longer in-your-face visible?
-Radiant story
I am intrigued. Provided it actually delivers on what that implies, rather than ending up like Radiant AI did - a serious let down because of console stupidity.Their combat description sounds like they decided Deadly Reflex is cool, bah. I hate shit like that. However, shield bashing is good, and they've taken part of TIE to heart with the increase in bow damage to the point of potential one-shot kills.I don't care about kids, really. If you add something to my game, I demand the right to also kill it. They won't give us that though.Suspiciously lacking is any mention of improvements to lighting, so I am kind of disappointed the guy failed to mention it. But over all, it sounds like we're getting quite a bit out of it.

I was most captured by the ancient ruin in one of the screenshots. I very much want to explore that.
Oh boy, ancient ruins, my favorite! I wonder... Falmer? Did we call it? :P

"Dragon shouts expand your abilities in many directions. One sends foes hurting away from you, staggered by the force of your yell.Another slows down time around you."It also mentions a "blink" dragon shout/whisper. "..to aid in a stealthy approach, like the one that send you instantaneously from oneplace to another.""One particularly potent shout speaks the true name of an actual dragon, and the beast is forced to come to your aid and fight beside you in battle."Also: "There are over 20 unique shouts in the game, and each one is formed from three words of ocwer(??).These are acquired in various ways as you journey through the world."

Interesting, so they're implementing the T'huum (or however its spelled) in some way. Makes sense as that's about the only thing the Nords would have that could stand against dragons and gods bent on eating the world.

It also mentions a "blink" dragon shout/whisper. "..to aid in a stealthy approach, like the one that send you instantaneously from oneplace to another.
Anyone else ever watch I Dream of Jeannie? :lol:I've had enough of Skyrim thread watching for the night. The trolls are making my eyes hurt from rolling.One more note: Giant spiders....ICK

See, the Bethesda devs like spiders, why so much hate for our eight-legged friends? :devil:

Giant Spiders: another idea the devs got from modders. (Featured prominately in at least to overhauls for Oblivion that I'm aware of)

Giant spiders aren't exactly original. They've been in games for a lot longer than Bethesda has been making them.

Shouts sound rather reminiscent of the barbarian class in Diablo II.Giant spiders have been a popular game enemy forever because most people have a natural aversion to spiders anyway so they make for a good scary enemy when super-sized. ;)

I've been looking at some scans from the magazine, an my thoughts are that they didn't do a particularly great job establishing what the game will look like in the screenshots they've provided...in fact, they set them up to look more like paintings than actual in game clips. Of course they quite clearly show that the game is going to look stunning...in fact, the detail level looks almost identical to that of Uncharted 2 (if not slightly better), which is really what I was hoping for in the game.Otherwise, the roll call looks all pretty good, though I would really like to see open cities confirmed (open unique cities, for that matter). And the unique landscapes and dungeons is a winner.

I've been looking at some scans from the magazine' date=' an my thoughts are that they didn't do a particularly great job establishing what the game will look like in the screenshots they've provided...in fact, they set them up to look more like paintings than actual in game clips.

Of course they quite clearly show that the game is going to look stunning...in fact, the detail level looks almost identical to that of Uncharted 2 (if not slightly better), which is really what I was hoping for in the game.

Otherwise, the roll call looks all pretty good, though I would really like to see open cities confirmed (open unique cities, for that matter). And the unique landscapes and dungeons is a winner.

[/quote']The people look better, if the rest looked exactly the same I'd live.This game does now look promising - I must admit. Perhaps I will finally succumb to the evil of Steam too, I shall have to pray on it.