Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Yep, even I tweeted one for that earlier, although I suck at using trend word or whatever they're called. Well, tweeted for the Disney buys Lucas thing anyway.

Well, at least I now realize that the XO of the Battlestar Galactica sounds strange because he's actually Doc Mitchell and Commander Bailey.

He's also General Tullius. Though I fail to see how that makes him sound strange?

At this point I've watched about 7 hours of BSG, but I've thought of that voice as being Mitchell/Bailey for 10-20x that. So I keep wondering where the cowboy getup is and when I'm going to have to get Thane's kid out of lockup. It's a really unique voice I haven't thought of in that context before."Why does this guy sound so stra...oh right, he's not giving me a Vault suit. Got it."

I didn't even recognize his voice as Doc Mitchell. I can't remember what he was in before BSG that I'd seen/heard him do and his imdb.com profile isn't helping there.

I actually picked up the Bailey thing first, since Bailey is in two entire Mass Effect games, but once I realized he was also Doc Mitchell, I couldn't stop thinking "WHERE IS THE CYLON PIP BOY"Also thinking about Faregyl, for some reason. Dunno why. Can't figure that one out.

Faregyl and cylons must go together somehow, right?Maybe you're just picking up the vibes from the fact that I've started work on my first village for Skyrim :P

Almost finished installing Arktwend. Got the separate install operational with Mash, Morrowind Code Patch, and MGE XE. Data files and masters are all synced up (all vanilla data files and all DE data files are gone) and distant land is generated. Now all that's left is getting the mesh and texture upgrades from TAO and the English cutscenes.Reviews are basically "not as good as Nehrim, but if you liked Nehrim you should definitely play Arktwend." This should be fun....

Miracles never cease. Steam's offline mode appears to be holding - and the CK isn't pissed off at me for trying to load it this way either.

It's always worked for me. I've never been online with the creation kit except for updates. I'll have to let Steam go online to grab the new Skyrim now though.Weird how it works for some and not others.

That's Steam for you. Does what it wants, when it wants. I fully expect it to go back to online mode on its own the next time I shut it off again. Unplugging the internet isn't a very convenient option.

Apparently it's patch day. Skyrim, the 3,984th L4D2 patch in the last few weeks, and a monster apparently-fixes-ALL-the-bugs Civ V patch. Whee.@Samson: EXPLODE THE INTERNET. WITH FIRE. :obgate: Too drastic?

Yeah, I saw the Civ 5 patch. It had me worried that Steam was about to update something on me without me wanting it done at first. But no CK update today, so as long as Steam stays in offline mode (I doubt it will) it should all be good when it comes.I just don't want it surprising me with the update and having it scramble all the scripts before I'm ready for that.

• 2 weeks later...

So. You know how Skyrim has ctrl+f4 to do NPC facegen export, to fix the grey face bug?Princeshroob found that the Oblivion BSAs have facegen texture exports that apparently serve a similar purpose and are generated the same way. Apparently some sort of method for boosting performance or something. Six years, and nobody ever noticed this? How?

I always thought they were just related to pre-set chargen. It doesn't look like there's enough of them to cover all the NPC's.And since Oblivion doesn't have the grey face bug.. :shrug: Doesn't the CTRL+F4 trick also generate a nif though?

It generates a nif for Skyrim but apparently Oblivion doesn't. I don't really know what the purpose of the files is, but Shroob seems to think it helps with performance, and who knows. Maybe that's why new NPCs bog the game down, because nobody knew about this.

That would be a major revelation if it is the case. The question then is though; does the same apply to the Fallout games, where NPC's don't bog things down?

I haven't tried it with NV yet, but Fallout 3 won't read the files after generating them. Nothing changes with people having white bodies and colored heads. So it looks like whatever FO3 did is a deeper bug.It's also only possible to generate the files for Oblivion with an ESM or a false flagged ESP. Not that such things are an undue burden these days, but if anyone did know about this early on, it probably got forgotten when they found it didn't work.

Probably catch hell for this somehow, but fuck it:

The Steam Workshop "let mod authors delete their own comments" way is the easy way out. It's the choice you make when you don't want to have a big moderation crew and don't want to try and foster/nurture a community. It's chaos theory. Give everyone else the power and then we can wipe our hands clean of it. It's not how I want to do things here' date=' despite the fact it would shunt the blame for "poor moderation" off of us and on to you, the mod authors. Why? Because I've been witness to the most self-entitled, horrible, snarky, libellous, stupid and plain wrong comments possible on these sites, and they've come from mod authors, not mod users. The idea of giving them unmoderated power scares the bejesus out of me. These are not the people we want to be empowering within the community, they're the people we want to be telling "this community isn't really for you, so please find somewhere else and feel free to make your own community in your own image". Shout out to Giskard. So what we need is a system that works for the majority of you who aren't raving numpties, but also keeps those raving numpties in check.[/quote']Part of a nice big stupid argument that got out of control when some free speech censorship is evil in all forms guy baited a huge argument about the subject of letting mod authors delete comments in their own threads. I took the bait, and only realized he was trolling the subject much too late. Then Dark0ne shows up with that pile of tripe. So now I guess we know what he really thinks of the people who provide his business with its revenue. The community apparently isn't there for the mod authors, despite the obvious paradox of there not being one without them. The shout out to Giskard part is just plain stupid.He's chosen to be blind just like the guy who baited the argument with the censorship issue. We all know that the workshop started off as a cesspool and showed no signs of improvement for a very long time. That has since changed. One of the very best and most useful tools content authors have there is the ability to delete posts from their own threads without having to pester the Valve team to do something about it.Everyone here already knows I have nothing but disdain for Valve in general and Steam specifically, but the Workshop is one thing they've done right and are continuing to do right and continuing to improve upon as time goes on.This notion he seems to have that mod authors, not the idiots who troll the threads, are the real problem just doesn't make sense, and I can virtually guarantee you he's not going to post something like that where everyone can see it.

• 3 weeks later...

Baldur's Gate Enchanced Edition - don't ever fight mages if you expect to live.

Also, Bethesda needs to choke on a log or something and stop fisting the PC community like this over DLC that shouldn't still be subject to exclusivity deals. They certainly don't need Microsoft's bribe money to stay in business.

I can't wait to get totally fucked by Davaeorn for the 300th time. Helmed horrors WTFLOL.

As far as Beth goes, you know, it's not even the exclusivity part. I mean, that sucks and I think it's sort of dumb, but ok, whatever. It's the part where they're all "Oh by the way PC users, sucks to be you, hahahaha!"

I keep living for that day when some company realizes that if you're just honest and up front with your customers, they're way happier with you. But I live in vain, apparently.