Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

It's a primer for canvases (and other artistic bases). Basically a three-pound jar of white paint/chalk/otherstuff, maybe glue, maybe linseed oil, that I haven't used for a while since I prefer canvas boards and haven't primed an unstretched canvas in about five years, not to mention I live in a place where it's considered odd to have more than 15% humidity, so it's probably a three-pound ROCK.

devil6.gif

...That Han Solo song? Still stuck in my head.

Is there anyone on the forum who's rich and wants to see Sigurd beaten with a pair of knitting needles, a Intuos tablet and a 3-pound jar of gesso? Want to buy me tickets to England? Thanks.

OK - fair enough.

I'm pretty sure you can fly direct into Exeter from some places in the US, or you count get a connection from Gatwick, I wouldn't imagine you'd want to do the train if you're jetlaggged, although it is only three hours and it's a nice way to see some countryside out the window. I'll send a taxi to pick you up, depending on when you get in and how you're feeling we can either dress up a bit and go to one of the nice restaurants in town or there are some great pubs that do very good cider and beer as well as excellent food that's indecently cheap. Then you'll need to turn in for the night, because the next day is going to be fairly busy.

So, rising reasonably early, we can take morning coffee in the city, then I'll take you on a walking tour of the historic Churches in the city, including the one in the centre of the Guild Hall shopping precinct which originated the "Knights Petroc" font from Oblivion. It's a nice way to move around the wards, and as Exeter is quite small we should be able to do three before lunch - which we will take in the Cathedral Refectory - then the Cathedral itself, which has some really fun things in, including a depiction of a medieval elephant. After the Cathedral we'll have tea in "Tea on the Green" on the Cathedral Green. After that we could have a look at the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, we'll need to finish before 5pm though, because I need to get back home to cook up dinner.

The next day we could hop on a train and go down to Exmouth to the seaside, it's a lovely little place, quite touristy. Or, if you're feeling up to it we could go the other way to Paignton, and thence onto the Steam railway to Dartmouth, season permitting, where the Mayflower stopped for repairs. Dartmouth is an even nicer town, some very nice Public Houses there, and I thought the historical interest might amuse you. There's an Elizabethan fort as well, and a Church with a fine oak door. By the time we've taken the train back I expect we'll be shattered.

Alternatively, we could go out for a walk into the farmland around the city, there are a couple of quiet and very beautiful villages around the city with some lovely old thatched cottages.

The next day should probably be a day of rest, if it's actually a Sunday I can recommend some good Roman Catholic Churches in the city, although if the Bishop were preaching in the Cathedral I'd urge you to slum it with we protestants, it's always worth it with his Grace and the choir are divine. We could go down the Quay, that's nice any time of the year.

Now as I'm assuming you've not been to the UK before we absolutely must​ go up to London - only for a couple of days, you don't want to spend long in the City - just long enough to take in a show, the National Gallery, the Tower, and possibly either the Natural History Museum or perhaps the Greenwich Observatory.

If, after a week of that, you still want to beat me - feel free, I'm sure I'll deserve it.

...okay, you talked yourself out of being smacked with the gesso, at least.

Well, on the Sunday you could meet the local group of gamer-girls and, I dunno, either roll up an all-girl D&D campaign or do an Anime marathon, because I'm not keen on Anime. We've got one of the biggest cinemas in the South West too - so I expect we could catch an appropriate film on it's massive screen at some point.

If you're feeling brave, and hearty, we could also go walking on the high moor, that requires a bus or other transport but it's worth it to see the Tors.

How'm I doing?

I'm going to second AndalayBay's sentiment at this point.. do we each have to threaten to beat you to get the whole package deal, or is it only open to female moderator/admin types? ;)

Edited by Conner

Speaking as a somewhat brief London resident, the question must be asked: is there actually such a thing as too long spent there? I wonder. Also, British Museum.

This is reminding me of how much I miss England.

That sounds like one sweet vacation. Can Jimi and I sign up? :D

That depends on a couple of factors:

1. Will you pay for Ama's ticket?

2. Could you be persuaded to make yourselves scarce so we kids can sample some of the nightlife at some point?

I'm going to second AndalayBay's sentiment at this point.. do we each have to threaten to beat you to get the whole package deal, or is it only open to female moderator/admin types? ;)

I think you've already answered that one.

Edited by Sigurd Stormhand

2. Could you be persuaded to make yourselves scarce so we kids can sample some of the nightlife at some point?

You're kidding right? Jimi and I could drink you kids under the table anytime. :D That's ok, you kids wouldn't be able to keep up with us anyway. :P

Definitely want to get back to London though. Still have a few spots to hit up.

So. Screenshot uploads on Steam. Why does the client offer you an upload link if it won't actually do this? Do you seriously HAVE to snap each one with F12 in the game?

"Hey Arthmoor, why the sudden interest in the Steam client and screenshots?"

Glad you asked. It's been suggested to me by a few people that I should upload some of mine there for people to oogle at. I figure why not, but I can't get the client to play along and I'm not about to attempt to recreate them in order to accommodate its arcane ways.

How odd. You'd think that if you added them to that file location it would see the additions the next time it connected and auto-submit them.. What if you add them while you're in a "steam-powered" game (just with the game minimized)?

The 5 minute google test would seem to believe that you should also create a properly sized thumbnail image, too, named correctly and all that.

Which starts seeming like more trouble than it's worth, personally, but.

I also tried to make a thumbnail of proper size as well. Yes, it's in the box when using the Steam client to manage the screenshots, but there is no button available to upload them from there into the cloud, despite the link clearly saying "Upload Screenshots".

Worse yet, it appears you ALSO have to manually edit the screenshots.vdf file before the client will acknowledge them at all. So it rapidly becomes not worth the bother. My adoring fans will just have to come to me to see them.