Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Very sorry for your loss' date=' Conner. :cry: [/quote']

Thanks Thomas' date=' the funeral was today and I was able to attend by telephone with the help of my cousin's son (my second cousin?) since I wasn't able to afford the travel to get there. I had put together a eulogy for him of sorts that the cantor was going to read for me but yesterday my step-mother gave the cantor her own input on it and changed up a few things so that what the cantor read instead was full of factual errors about his life. I was not amused in the least. [img']http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/angry.png[/img]

This sounds all too familiar... In my case' date=' it was a guy that my dad had semi-adopted. He was a drug-dealing bum. But when my dad died, he decided he had some entitlement on the estate. My dad charged this guy [i']rent[/i] for a while, so no, he wasn't the adopted son he thought he was.

I'm sorry to hear that you might have a battle ahead of you. If at all possible, find someone who can talk to this woman and see what she wants. Find out what your rights are as legal heirs. Then present the facts to her and see what you can negotiate. Don't draw it out. Having lawyers do your negotiating won't help. They want all the money they can get. Only deal with the lawyers if she won't be reasonable.

If you want to talk, feel free to PM me. I've been through this. I wish my dad and me had talked more openly before he died. I kid you not, this brings tears to my eyes as I type this. But we were separated by divorce and me not being allowed to talk to him until I was an adult. And being young at the time, I didn't know what I know now. *sigh*

Thanks, unfortunately, I suspect she had tricks up her sleeves before she met my father and then he effectively taught her all that he could by letting her be his confidante when he went up against my sister and I. In the end, he got roughly 85% of my mother's estate, she's shooting for 100% of his from all appearances. I think I will take you up on the suggestion about PMs, this forum is pretty nice and reasonably obscure enough that she's not likely to notice it, but it is still searchable via google...

Please do. :)

Please do. :)
You've got p-mail! ;)To the rest of you, sorry to leave folks out of this one, I'm sure it could get juicy enough to be entertaining, if not just outright unbelievable, but as I mentioned, the forum posts are searchable under Google and, while I doubt she's a technology geek type, her son may very well be. :shrug:

Then would you like to have the posts you've already made on it deleted since they too will be visible?

Then would you like to have the posts you've already made on it deleted since they too will be visible?
Nah, I hadn't posted any the really juicy stuff yet and I expect that, by the time they think to check what I might've posted online, they'll already have figured out that I knew she wasn't the caring step-mother that she seems to think I think she is. I just don't want to get into specific details about the estate itself in public.Suffice it to say, I expect it to be a long, painful, expensive fight for all parties. ...besides, you know how much I'd hate to hurt my post count. ;)Oh, and btw, I like your new title here.

Those fights are never fun. Best of luck.
Thanks, I agree, what little past experience I do have with these fights really sucked.

Thanks' date=' I agree, what little past experience I do have with these fights really sucked.[/quote']My thoughts are with you Connor. I really hope for the best.

Thanks' date=' I agree' date=' what little past experience I do have with these fights really sucked.[/quote'']My thoughts are with you Connor. I really hope for the best.
Thank you, Ysne58, at this point, hoping for the best may be the best shot I've got, we'll just have to see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

I have mixed feelings about this:http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/07/dark-age-of-camelot-dev-bringing-back-ultima-iv-as-ultima-forever/

Oh, is THAT what those Ultima Forever ads I keep seeing are for.And no, I'm going to just keep believing that Origin just up and decided to make Ultima VIII the last one, and that is how it will remain forever. Anything else starts venturing far too close to The New Adventures of Profanity Rabbit for both general consumption and my sanity.Relevent.

I guess I should be glad my ad blocker works then because that article was the first I'd seen of it :)

So... Dwip has a generous streak in him. Thanks man, not sure what brought that on but I definitely appreciate it.

Well, the one should be pretty obvious, I think. Been planning that one for a while.As to the other, you expressed some interest, and Whir and I have been mainlining the xpack lately, so...Besides, have you looked at how many hours you have in the CK? Christ, dude, you need to get some variety. :P

Heh, you do realize that easily half of those CK hours are just idle time? :PEither, way, thanks, something more to do once Two Worlds 2 falls before me. Assuming it's blandness doesn't eventually make me push it aside.

Yahbut:Half your total time in the CK: 718.6 hours.My total time in Civ V ever: 651.7 hours.As I say. :P

Yes, but compare it to the actual Skyrim hours, and note that many times once the CK is up I'm loathe to shut it back down again because it takes so long to start. There have been whole afternoons spent with it sitting on doing nothing. If this was the Oblivion CSE, I'd have gotten the achievement for a 6+ hour session without a crash dozens of times over.Speaking of Civ 5. Perhaps it was fate, or just random luck, but while it was downloading one of the 3 things it listed from the Workshop was a Tamriel map for the game. Guess what my very first Civ 5 mod I play will be? :P

I'm guessing it's probably one of those stealth Civ 5 mods you've been making without your knowledge. :P

For all the fun that I was having with Civ 5, I honestly went back to Civ 4 after a hundred hours or so of playing with Gods and Kings. Rhyes and Fall rules. Period.

If we're being honest about it, 4 is probably a better game, though I never could get into Rhye's, and have my own pretty heavy duty mod for it. That said, I'm enjoying Gods and Kings quite a bit. I like where they're going with the mechanics now, though espionage needs some work and there seems to be a bug where AIs will just decide to OCC/2CC while we expand like pros, even on King.Speaking of which, Mael and I tend to play co-op a lot, as we did tonight. Us vs. 4 AIs on a team, small map. We were doing pretty damn good, all things considered, when Darius decides that the Persia/Spain/Mongol/Aztec Collective is done with us. Which turned out to be a poor life choice, because I ran him over shortly thereafter while Mael held off the other three at a chokepoint.And then I decided to sail over and D-Day Khan. Now, that's a lot of guys. And they're about to get better as we Great War Infantry instead of rifles. And in fact, when we won the game, I had about that many guys.What you don't see in that shot is the 5x+ that number of guys that I built just to barely sustain myself against Khan's millions and millions of almost equal tech dudes. The AI isn't always capable of running a competent war, but inside his own base in the industrial age? It was brutal. Easily one of the top 2-3 biggest wars I've had in Civ 5. Intense slaughter. Very tough going.Think we're still probably moving up to Emperor though.

Meanwhile, I see our fearless leader is handily plowing through the achievements list...