Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Glad I went and saw it already. I came away with a much better impression than "a muddled mess".
Hey, it wasn't a bad story, it was just all over the place trying to do too much at once (IMHO).

Personally I thought it was rather well done and tied up the remaining loose ends nicely. I didn't see it as trying to do too much at all. It fit in rather nicely with what I remember of the other Alien movies.

True, the plot did close out pretty well, and the homage to Sigourney Weaver's monologue at the end was a good touch (my above description was just me having a sense of humor about it).If anything, what the movie suffers from the most was the hype. Too much of it, so you end up entering the theater expecting the movie to be more than it actually tries to be. Thus, you leave feeling let down.Me? I don't really follow hype, so I was quite satisfied with the movie and will certainly be watching it again.

Anders Breivik' date=' the right-wing extremist who has confessed to killing 77 people during a murder spree in Norway last summer' date=' played the violent computer game World of Warcraft nearly seven hours a day for several consecutive months before his attack, prosecutors say.[/quote'']

Oh boy, here we go with the violent video games crap again.

That wasn't what they said in the trial - what they said was that he entered World of Warcraft as a slayer of evil and then brought that belief back out into the real world. It was litterally all he did for six months. It's about his mental state, not his violence.

In other words, WOW had no effect on him mental state or violence wise.

From the part of the trial I saw the message was, "this guy is a wierd loner, which is why he played WOW basically non-stop for six months."Well - no argument here.

Well if that's all ABC had been trying to say, that wouldn't have been an issue. But look at how they spun it for the report. They spun it as though WOW was responsible for him going nuts and instigating the attack.It might help to keep in perspective that the US has this odd hatred of violent video games and often attempts to pass censorship legislation against them for the most irrational reasons, and it's one of the few things that cuts clean across party lines on the left or the right.

Well if that's all ABC had been trying to say' date=' that wouldn't have been an issue. But look at how they spun it for the report. They spun it as though WOW was responsible for him going nuts and instigating the attack.

It might help to keep in perspective that the US has this odd hatred of violent video games and often attempts to pass censorship legislation against them for the most irrational reasons, and it's one of the few things that cuts clean across party lines on the left or the right.[/quote']All American news is bullshit - it's because you people pay for it and therefore they must compete for market share.

What Samson said.Not sure how well it comes across to you guys outside the US, but over here there's a fairly lengthy history of, every time some whackjob kills somebody, people come out of the woodwork to be all "Well, of course he killed all those people! He played violent video games! They turn our children into KILLERS!" This ABC article has all the hallmarks - sounds like it doesn't have a clue in hell what it's talking about (who puts first-person shooter in quotes?), talks endlessly about how the subject was a loner who played video games, plays up the violence.Previously in the history of overwrought moral panic about gaming in America, did you know that playing Dungeons and Dragons causes you to become a Satan worshipper? And ultimately becomes responsible for like, every teen suicide?Both of these were a really big deal back in the 90s and 80s, respectively. We've mostly calmed down on it, since there are now entire generations that know it's bullshit, but you still get people talking about how Harry Potter is Satanic and what have you.Every time somebody in America starts talking about parenting and the law, pretty much your first reaction should be "Oh shit." If some variation on "we're doing it for the children" crops up, flee to your bunker.

Yes, well as we have established you have a culture which believes a pentagram is Satanic, thanks for exporting that.In this country we have laws about what you can and can't report viz facts and opinions. Basically, you can't report your own opinion - so people like Glenn Beck couldn't do "news programs" over here.We also have the BBC - which has a legal mandate to provide programming that is a public service and which gets the same amount of money irrespective of viewing numbers.

All American news is bullshit - it's because you people pay for it and therefore they must compete for market share.
That's because we have this little thing called the 1st Amendment and the freedom of the press. Which isn't compatible with state-run media.Also' date=' Glenn Beck doesn't call himself a newscaster or a journalist. Get your facts straight - he and others like him freely admit they're commentators.
Yes' date=' well as we have established you have a culture which believes a pentagram is Satanic, thanks for exporting that.[/quote']Blame the satanists who have been using the symbol for longer than the US exists. Sorry, but you don't get to pin that one on "America is bad" this time :P

That's because we have this little thing called the 1st Amendment and the freedom of the press. Which isn't compatible with state-run media.
Well' date=' that's OK because the BBC isn't State-run.It has a Charter and the goverment sets the liscence fee, but only every every five years or so, and they can't dictate content, just things like (for example) the percentage septn on News or the Web.The BBC is also not a political topic - so any government seen to be intimidating "the Beeb" or trying to control the Board or Director General would start losing elections.
Also, Glenn Beck doesn't call himself a newscaster or a journalist. Get your facts straight - he and others like him freely admit they're commentators.
Yeah - we don't have that here, except for comedians and entertainers. Serious Op-eds are confined to print media.
Blame the satanists who have been using the symbol for longer than the US exists. Sorry, but you don't get to pin that one on "America is bad" this time :P
What Satanists?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PentagramPrior to the anti-Deistic backlash of the late 18th-19th Century there were no "Satanists" as far as we can tell. People accused of "Devil Worship" were usually Pagans.Think about it - what idiot would worship the enemy of God? Only an overeducated middle-class one.

There is no scientific evidence at all to support any claim that video games cause violent behavior.

There is no scientific evidence at all to support any claim that video games cause violent behavior.
No - but there is mounting evidence they can contribute to social issolation

That's because we have this little thing called the 1st Amendment and the freedom of the press. Which isn't compatible with state-run media.Also' date=' Glenn Beck doesn't call himself a newscaster or a journalist. Get your facts straight - he and others like him freely admit they're commentators. [/quote']You can have both (if you count 'state funded' as state run). And I'm very grateful for it in Australia because the commercial TV news is horseshit, while the state funded stations actually put out something reasonable.Also...Glenn Beck...I've never understood what is with that guy. He seems to behave like a much more extreme version of Stephen Colbert, except he's not trying to parody anyone. Apparently he's not trying to be to serious either, which is where I am confused.

What Satanists?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagram
Next time you mean to say "5-point star" just say so instead of invoking a term common people don't distinguish from a "pentacle".
Think about it - what idiot would worship the enemy of God? Only an overeducated middle-class one.
Oh. You mean someone who's been indoctrinated then? Funny how that works :P
No - but there is mounting evidence they can contribute to social issolation
Which has no relevance to these same socially isolated individuals suddenly turning into raging gun wielding assassins. Otherwise' date=' I suspect a whole lot of us should be sitting in bunkers loading our arsenals.
You can have both (if you count 'state funded' as state run). And I'm very grateful for it in Australia because the commercial TV news is horseshit' date=' while the state funded stations actually put out something reasonable.[/quote']Yes, I'd count state-funded as state-run. I think a lot of reasonable people would too, hence the backlash against things like PBS and NPR here in the US. Follow the money.
Also...Glenn Beck...I've never understood what is with that guy. He seems to behave like a much more extreme version of Stephen Colbert, except he's not trying to parody anyone. Apparently he's not trying to be to serious either, which is where I am confused.
Oh, he's being serious. Very serious. He's got so much dirt on so many people that even Fox News railroaded him off the air for exposing it all.

Next time you mean to say "5-point star" just say so instead of invoking a term common people don't distinguish from a "pentacle".
What sorry? A pentegram is a pentegram' date=' a "five pointed star" is not necessarily a geometric pentegram.The ignorance of others is not something I am going to perpetuate.A pentagram is not a Satanic symbol any more than a cross is a Christian one.
Oh. You mean someone who's been indoctrinated then? Funny how that works :P
You throw around "indoctrinated" far too easily. I suggest you look up "satanism" and it's history - it isn't actually connected to genuines Pagan or Occult worship at all.
Which has no relevance to these same socially isolated individuals suddenly turning into raging gun wielding assassins. Otherwise, I suspect a whole lot of us should be sitting in bunkers loading our arsenals.
No - but it has relevence to Brievik personally - it's not my fault ABC is incapable of honest reporting.
Yes, I'd count state-funded as state-run. I think a lot of reasonable people would too, hence the backlash against things like PBS and NPR here in the US. Follow the money.
The ABC is not like the BBC - the BBC is not state-funded, it is publically funded. In order to recieve a Television signal in this country you require a licence, and the licence fee is what pays for the BBC and certain public-interest programs on Chanel Four. The BBC and the Government negotiate the price of the licence fee and the proportion assigned to the BBC - as the BBC is not a political topic any attempt to strangle Aunty results in a political backlash that loses you elections. Also, the BBC provides a free platfrom for party-political broadcasts in the public interest that means its independance is garenteed by all parties in return.Now, I know you're going to rubbish all this but just consider - the BBC news is without doubt the most respected Television News organisation in the English-speaking world, including in America. This system works, your private broadcasters don't work because they don't provide news, they sell it.News is not a commodity, it is a vital resource like oxygen.
Oh, he's being serious. Very serious. He's got so much dirt on so many people that even Fox News railroaded him off the air for exposing it all.
He's got nothing - and Murdoch is not afraid of him, Murdoch isn't even afraid of Parliament.The Majority of people don't even listen to Beck (neither he nor FOX have ever had a majority market share, more around 25%), he got canned because most American companies don't want to be associated with him or his audience and won't buy his advertising space.Here's what we think of him: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2011/may/05/glenn-beck-glee-fox-newshttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/norway/8660986/Norway-shooting-Glenn-Beck-compares-dead-teenagers-to-Hitler-youth.htmlHe compared the Norwegian Labour Party's youth wing to the Hitler Youth.

The ABC is not like the BBC - the BBC is not state-funded, it is publically funded.
I'm not sure you truly grasp that this means exactly the same thing. You pay a hideous licensing fee to the government, who in turn routes that money to the BBC. They are therefore state-run in every logical interpretation of that term. The BBC is every bit as vile and propagandist as NPR and PBS are here because of it.
The Majority of people don't even listen to Beck (neither he nor FOX have ever had a majority market share, more around 25%), he got canned because most American companies don't want to be associated with him or his audience and won't buy his advertising space.
Yeah, that's the same line of horseshit moveon.org keeps telling people. It isn't true. Fox News is the highest rated cable news service in the country by a pretty wide margin. Glenn Beck got canned (he'll tell you he quit to pursue his GTV venture) because he got too close to the truth about how things REALLY operate in this country. He went after George Soros, and not even Murdoch could protect him anymore. Murdoch wasn't afraid of him because he had no reason to be.When he compared those guys to the Hitler Youth, he spoke the truth. That doesn't excuse how Brievik dealt with the situation, nor does it make how ABC is spinning the reporting on his trial out here any more truthful.

Glenn Beck got canned (he'll tell you he quit to pursue his GTV venture) because he got too close to the truth about how things REALLY operate in this country.
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! :alien:

Well, yes, but just about anything is - there's a difference between a "conspiracy" and a "crackpot conspiracy theory". Glenn Beck didn't deal in the second one. If that were the case he'd still be on the air. He had so much evidence of fact though that it was too much for the ones he was after to ignore. That's why he's no longer working at Fox, and why he and his family had to retreat to Dallas.Since he's put himself behind a paywall for everything now his market share has crashed and he's more or less marginalized himself. Though I suspect in the end that's what he wants. America is a funny place. Drop out of view and you're quickly forgotten.

Anyway...Who here knows something about STEP? I'm starting to get the feeling they're assembling a compilation package rather than just the PDF guide that they have linked on Nexus.

I'm not sure you truly grasp that this means exactly the same thing. You pay a hideous licensing fee to the government' date=' who in turn routes that money to the BBC. They are therefore state-run in every logical interpretation of that term. The BBC is every bit as vile and propagandist as NPR and PBS are here because of it.[/quote']I think that you don't grasp quite how different it is. Have you ever seen the BBC, the rough time Jeremy Paxman gives goverment ministers (of whatever party) on Newsnight?You can call the BBC all the nasty names you want, but the fact is that it's where most Americans who want news go to get it.As for the Liscence fee, you pay it to recieve the signal, it works out at about $200 dollars a year, I would say. That runs the entire "Freeview" Network, 4 BBC entertainment chanels, 24hr rolling news chanel, live feeds from the houses of Parliament on a dedicated chanel (actually saw my MP stand up and ask a question on that), 2 children's chanels, the BBC national and local radio network and part-subsidieses the Chanel Four Network (4 more chanels).And the BBC website, which includes live streaming and recorded versions of all their programs.That's for less than $20 a month - so don't call it "hideous", it's incredibly good value for money, and don't forget there is no avertising on the BBC - at all - ever.Now - would you like to demonstrate where this "vile propeganda", it is (perhaps) in the way the News slavishly presents the Chancellors latests budget? The way they covered up the David Kelly affair? The refusal to cover the Prime Minister or others at the Leverson enquiry?No, it is not.It does occur to me that, despite my previous protestations, perhaps the US cannot support a National Health Service or National Broadcaster because so many Americans seem to have no conception of what a "public institution" is in the UK or Commonwealth.
Yeah, that's the same line of horseshit moveon.org keeps telling people. It isn't true. Fox News is the highest rated cable news service in the country by a pretty wide margin. Glenn Beck got canned (he'll tell you he quit to pursue his GTV venture) because he got too close to the truth about how things REALLY operate in this country. He went after George Soros, and not even Murdoch could protect him anymore. Murdoch wasn't afraid of him because he had no reason to be.
I suppose that might be true, given that American News media doesn't provide actual information, it would be difficult to check. As to going after George Soros, well so what?Most of Soros' less scrupulous dealings are well known, he's well known over here for causing the pound to crash out of the ERM and killed off the Conservatives' chance at re-electionhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday
When he compared those guys to the Hitler Youth, he spoke the truth. That doesn't excuse how Brievik dealt with the situation, nor does it make how ABC is spinning the reporting on his trial out here any more truthful.
Bullshit Bullshit Bullshit.These were teenagers at an event held by the Labour Party, no different to the highschoolers in the US who go to Tea Party Events, more aware than the eight yearolds that get sent by their parents to camps for "Conservative youth" in the US. Of course, the Tea Party is funded by the wealthy and influencial and not grassroots donations. So that presumably makes them facists?And on that note, I am off - forever. I'm sorry, but if you can compare a political system you know nothing about to the Hitler Youth I can't have anything to do with you. Norway has one of the most vibrant, open and plural democracies in Europe and one of the highest living standards and levels of happiness in the world. To compare their society to that of NAZI Germany can only be done from a position of profound ignorance, which is where Beck is sitting.Goodbye

You can call the BBC all the nasty names you want' date=' but the fact is that it's where most Americans who want news go to get it.[/quote']I have no idea where information like this comes from, but it isn't even remotely true, and I suppose we'll just have to leave it at that.
That's for less than $20 a month - so don't call it "hideous", it's incredibly good value for money, and don't forget there is no avertising on the BBC - at all - ever.
Hideous in the sense that your government assess it to you in the first place. I'm sure they made it a "good value" in order to make it not seem as bad as the concept actually is.
So that presumably makes them facists?
It would be difficult to fathom how conservatives in America could be considered fascist given that's a left-wing form of government and conservatism in America is about as right-wing as they come.And I'm sorry that my opinions have offended you to the point of wanting to pack up and leave, but I stand by them and the evidence provided to me that backs this up. Norway may have a perfectly fine system that does what they want it to do, but I was not even in the slightest calling their entire country a bunch of Nazis. I thought it was pretty clear I was referring to what Beck specifically pointed out, that the group Brievik targeted was exactly what he said they were.I know enough about Europe to know that Nazi fringe groups are just that - fringe groups. They're fringe groups here too, and we treat them with as much disdain as I know the Europeans do. If you thought I was actually making a comparison against an entire country's political system, I apologize for not making that as clear as I should have.

Anyway...

Who here knows something about STEP? I'm starting to get the feeling they're assembling a compilation package rather than just the PDF guide that they have linked on Nexus.

So far it just seems to be a PDF with some specific mod recommendations. If they start compiling mods, we'll have to keep an eye on them.

Wow :stare: In my own household, BBC & PBS get nearly equal airtime, though what Sesame Street or Dr. Who have to do with news is pretty well beyond me. :wink: Frankly, I can't speak for most Americans, but I get my news from the Associated Press, primarily, with supplemental additions from a very wide range of other sources. On the rare occasions when I do catch part of the news on BBC, it's usually airing at something like 3 a.m. and far too Euro-centri for my interest so I generally turn it back off within the first few minutes. I don't ever watch PBS for news and, frankly, I can't begin to bring myself to tune into NPR for anything, let alone news. :shrug: As for the recent rash of religious and other heated discussions this thread has suffered, all I can say is that I really thought those were what the blogs folks around here maintain were for. :sad: Finally, with regard to Sigurd departing this site over Arthmoor's assertion about Beck's comparison of some people to Hitler Youth.. please refer back to the first line in this post. I really hope that Sigurd will at least stick around long enough to see what responses he's garnered before abandoning everything this site was intended to be over a political discussion that really belonged elsewhere... but if he's determined to leave us over that, well, I, for one, am very sorry to see him leave and I would offer my assurance that he will be missed. :facepalm: :headbang:

Indeed, in case that wasn't clear as well, I for one will miss having you around as well Sigurd.And really, I guess that's why we shouldn't have ignored our own rules - so shit like this doesn't happen.