Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Ok, making properly sized thumbnails of the pictures isn't too bad. (I use Easy Thumbnails (EzThumbs.exe) to do mass thumbnails, personally), but manually editing the screenshots file too does start to sound like too much damn effort when you could just direct these aforementioned fans to your blog image gallery with a simple single link instead.

Who didn't see this coming?

Guy who hosts his mod on Nexus begins demanding "donations" for people to be allowed to download his files (read: charging for mods), and the inevitable happens.

Is this going to be a recurring theme in the modding community? If so, it might be prudent to write to Bethesda and get them to crack down on these people attempting to skirt the boundaries of their EULA.

I wouldn't worry too much about that actually. It's one guy who has done this so far. Unless you count the idiot who started a Kickstarter and wanted $40K for his time.

I have no qualms with people taking donations, never did. Nobody needs to pay, and so long as users don't expect to get perks in return for it there shouldn't be a problem. Dark0ne had already discussed it with Bethesda and came to the conclusion they'd be fine so long as modders aren't demanding payment and users aren't expect benefits from it.

And at this point, as someone who has been getting a few here and there, I'd really like to keep that door open.

Actually in this case, it sounds like he was throwing a hissy fit over someone creating a batch file or something, so he pulled his mod and decided to make it available only to those that had donated. He wasn't charging for his mod (not directly anyway) but was only going to make it available to those who apparently "appreciated his work". :rolleyes:

Who didn't see this coming?

Guy who hosts his mod on Nexus begins demanding "donations" for people to be allowed to download his files (read: charging for mods), and the inevitable happens.

Is this going to be a recurring theme in the modding community? If so, it might be prudent to write to Bethesda and get them to crack down on these people attempting to skirt the boundaries of their EULA.

*raises his hand* blush.png

And at this point, as someone who has been getting a few here and there, I'd really like to keep that door open.

You mean, you don't want to see Bethesda put out a license similar to Diku's? :o;)

Actually in this case, it sounds like he was throwing a hissy fit over someone creating a batch file or something, so he pulled his mod and decided to make it available only to those that had donated. He wasn't charging for his mod (not directly anyway) but was only going to make it available to those who apparently "appreciated his work". :rolleyes:

Sounds borderline reasonable actually. Probably not the most appropriate recourse, but not really all that unreasonable a reaction. shrug.gif

@Arthmoor/Dwip/AndalayBay(?): On another note.. just out of curiosity, when'd we become "AFK Mods site: home of demented rabbits and grumpy lizards."? rofl.gif

By doing that with his mods he's just inviting people to put up his mods elsewhere without his position and get it without paying. Moron.

@Arthmoor/Dwip/AndalayBay(?): On another note.. just out of curiosity, when'd we become "AFK Mods site: home of demented rabbits and grumpy lizards."? rofl.gif

That would be me. :P When I set up the main category, I felt compelled to give it a description. And Arthmoor decided not to change it! alienvert.gif

Regarding starac: I really don't understand what he got his knickers in a knot over to start with. Or panties in a bunch, as Arthmoor like to say. But yeah, ENB optimized drivers all over again. And another dick. Lovely.

Giskard.

No, the guy who did that vampire mod he expected people to pay for the voice files for :P

Giskard.

Indeed.

Now that I'm at my home PC and not my work PC I can actually view Nexus pages.

He was charging for the mod. People who had already donated were allowed to have the mod, while people who had not were not allowed. He has sold the mod retroactively to those who had donated.

Yes, after the fact. He didn't do that until he got mad about some perceived slight. He was right to get banned from Nexus. That's not what the donation system is for.

So in case anybody was wondering, that whole start screen thing in Windows 8? Yeah, it's about as bullshit as you probably thought. It's definitely about as bad as I expected it to be.

Metro, OTOH, is surprisingly less eye-pokingly awful than I had anticipated, though still not good. Doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out with a log like that default theme in XP did though, so at least there's that.

That may well be so. However, the state of laptop manufacturing these days, &c, &c.

In other news, while the latest release of iTunes is perhaps the worst UI downgrade since, well, Windows 8, one of the things iTunes has always been fairly good at is allowing my music to partake of the mobile future of tomorrow. I can easily enough sync up my iPhone and iPod with my desktop to the ultimate betterment of all mankind. What I apparently can't do is sync my desktop with my laptop, because that might be a good idea or something. I don't know.

Steam was basically effortless, for the record.

[EDIT] Also, touchpads. Seriously, fuck those things. I can't even tell you.

Edited by Dwip

And yet you'll soon find IE 10 STILL doesn't have one of those nifty grab corners on text boxes for forums, blogs, etc :P

So in case anybody was wondering, that whole start screen thing in Windows 8? Yeah, it's about as bullshit as you probably thought. It's definitely about as bad as I expected it to be.

Metro, OTOH, is surprisingly less eye-pokingly awful than I had anticipated, though still not good. Doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out with a log like that default theme in XP did though, so at least there's that.

Metro is not that bad - most significantly it has Apple-like memory usage, or lack thereof. I do also like the way Metro's search function works, and the speed at which it works.

The recovery process is also much nicer.

But it's Windows 8. That alone is enough to desire logs protruding from one's eyes.

Honestly - not that bad.

That may well be so. However, the state of laptop manufacturing these days, &c, &c.

In other news, while the latest release of iTunes is perhaps the worst UI downgrade since, well, Windows 8, one of the things iTunes has always been fairly good at is allowing my music to partake of the mobile future of tomorrow. I can easily enough sync up my iPhone and iPod with my desktop to the ultimate betterment of all mankind. What I apparently can't do is sync my desktop with my laptop, because that might be a good idea or something. I don't know.

Steam was basically effortless, for the record.

[EDIT] Also, touchpads. Seriously, fuck those things. I can't even tell you.

You updated iTunes?

Shiiiiiit - you picked up the "Police" virus. Have fun with that, it's been piggybacking off iTunes for the last update.

@Samson - Also, the Metro app version of IE is completely terribad.

Metro is not that bad - most significantly it has Apple-like memory usage, or lack thereof. I do also like the way Metro's search function works, and the speed at which it works.

The recovery process is also much nicer.

Haven't messed with search yet, but it is all reasonably speedy. The Start/Lock screen UI makes recovery after hibernate kind of whacked, but this particular laptop has a fingerprint reader, so I can swipe past it. Cool toy.

You updated iTunes?

Shiiiiiit - you picked up the "Police" virus. Have fun with that, it's been piggybacking off iTunes for the last update.

...do tell? The quick Google search says something about something last year, but...

1366x768 is a ghetto resolution that nets you all sorts of fun compatibility issues with the games you love. Have fun :P

Also, touchpads. Seriously, fuck those things. I can't even tell you.

I have never for the life of me been able to understand why anyone could prefer a touchpad to something that isn't. However, as every single one of my friends and family have a touchscreen phone and/or ipod, it might just be me.

It's different when it's your sole mode of interaction with the device. The touch stuff on my iPhone works great because it's designed for it. On a laptop, they're just clumsy when you're trying to make them act like real mice, fuck you up when you type stuff, etc.

Are we talking about touchpads like on some of the Lenovo laptops where you drag your finger around this really small black square area? If so, those are spawn of Satan.