Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Ama simply needs to install Vilja after choosing her start, and then Ama will be happy.

Ama is happy again. Existential crisis canceled.

I just found out that 'oscuro' is Italian for 'dark'. Has anyone noticed this before? I hadn't even realized it was a word.

I'm pretty sure it's the same or similar in both Portuguese and Spanish.

I just found out that 'oscuro' is Italian for 'dark'. Has anyone noticed this before? I hadn't even realized it was a word.

Funny how that seems to work out so well for most Romance languages (Latin and it's derivatives: Spanish, French, Italian, etc.. English to a lesser extent), isn't it? :P

It probably originally meant "hidden" or "obscure" - all modern Romance languages are basically riffing on the theme of drunk Romans in the local whorehouse, really.

It rarely works for English - we appropriated words, so they don't mean the same thing half the time.

Funny how that seems to work out so well for most Romance languages (Latin and it's derivatives: Spanish, French, Italian, etc.. English to a lesser extent), isn't it? :P

Being a great fan of the chiaroscuro style of painting, I'll admit I already knew that. redface.gif

So, it's the end of the world.

I guess we got sucked into a temporal and now exist in some alternate dimension where everything is exactly the same as it was before.

Sucks. I wanted meteors.

By meteors, I meant I wanted a moon crashing into a clocktower and vaporizing everyone.

It was their terrible fate, after all.

So I've discovered the point of Angry Birds, which is apparently to give you something to do in between board games at Christmas when mom's iPad is the only handy gaming device in the house. Also to distract you from the epic pain caused by the concrete mattress on the spare bed. Seriously, ow.

Which is to further say happy belated Christmas and a merry more belated non-apocalypse to one and all.

Be curious to see what you think of that. As anyone following me on Twitter is well aware, I am greatly enjoying the PC version. Again.

So I did it again and picked up another Steam sale deal. The Galactic Civilizations Complete Pack.

More to say on these later, but for now, GalCiv 1 is massive bugware and isn't even up to gaming standards for 2003. Yet by contrast, GalCiv2 seems rock solid stable and looks phenomenal even for 2013. Also the huge jump in planetary detail is astonishing between 1 & 2.

GalCiv2 is great. It includes Dread Lords/Twilight of Arnor, I assume. Because that's really the only way to fly.

http://dementedrabbits.net/wordpress/2008/09/chitter-chitter-squeak/

Relevent.

Also, how in the HELL do I get URL tags to work right? Gah. This editor angers me.

Edited by Dwip

Heh, I remember that post :P

The first one had the potential for greatness - as long as you didn't need to ever fight a battle. I think we both know how unlikely that was to be the case. The included DLC with that one doesn't even function, nothing but a red screen where the starmap should go.

Yes, the package I got includes whatever add-ons and DLC there was, so GalCiv2 should provide some good times.

URL tags work just like they always have.

Test

Sort of, in the sense of "WYSIWYG mode doesn't want you to use nicely formatted links, and if you switch to the other mode you can't find a readily obvious list of BBCodes so hopefully your memory is good."

Edited by Dwip

Yes, that would be a thing. I usually type the url tags out by hand anyway since so many forums have so many different symbols to represent it. I suppose we were a bit spoiled on QSFP since it was the only package I'm aware of where you could still access bbcode controls without a fancy wysiwyg editor. 2001 still has some good points :P

Well, you CAN type out the url tags in the WYSIWYG editor, but pasting the link auto-formats and destroys your tag, so that's pretty awesome.

I'm also digging how the non-WYSIWYG editor is grey text on a slightly darker grey background. Totally gives me the warm fuzzy feeling.

Also you're making me want to play GalCiv. But I think my new Twitter followers would be sad if I did.