Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

I went to Rome a decade ago - I'd love to go back. Oh, and Pompeii - oh, God, Pompeii

Madrid? Maybe the Costa del Sol?

Spain is a great country to visit.

Edited by Thomas Kaira

Never did make it to Pompeii. Kind of sad about that, but there's a whole lot of Italy to get seen, and not so much time as I'd like. Spain I figure is the same.

In other news, you may from time to time ask yourself "replacing outlets. How hard could it be?" This should invariably be the point at which your breaker box begins emitting noises that sound remarkably like "HAHAHAOMGWTFROFLMAO" and your morning shoots itself in the face.

Also my water heater apparently dates from the disco era.

On the plus side, a new water heater will be energy efficient, assuming you actually need to replace it.

Note: It's after 4:00 p.m. my time and I haven't taken my morning meds yet.

And that's sort of a big deal, considering my power bill.

But we'll see what my landlady has to say on the subject. Considering a giant portion of the top half is corroded to hell, I'm hoping it's something like "Oshi-!"

Probably not, but the 30 days are up. PC players are gonna start gathering their pitchforks and torches long before Tuesday.

I've just been reading a Minecraft forum thread full of people complaining that Minecraft is now more of an RPG game than a sandbox one and...wait for it...Minecraft is exactly like Skyrim except with less interesting terrain and dumber villages.

In fact, the last statement is entirely true if you take away the 'exactly like Skyrim' part. It also appears that the Minecraft community is consisted of some of the dumbest shits in the known universe who are funny for a while but then quickly get annoying.

I've long since come to the conclusion that I'm just not hipster enough for Minecraft, insofar as every time I hear people talking about it, they seem to be the same sort of people who like to argue the superiority of Linux for everything.

If you wait around long enough on my blog, you'll get to read me arguing that Skyrim is probably a better spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate than Dragon Age, though. As soon as I get done writing up the other 100 tweets in my apparently epic Twitter LP of BG:EE.

Which: What the hell happened THERE?

Unrelatedly cryptic notes to self:

- Hey iTunes shuffle, I have albums that aren't the Braveheart OST, Jagged Little Pill, or that Smashing Pumpkins rarities boot. I actually have an awful lot of albums that aren't those things, and could you please stop trying to play Right Through You every third song? Your attention in this matter is greatly appreciated.

- The math to convert objects created in Blender using inches/feet to Oblivion (and I assume Skyrim) units is incredibly annoying, and I could have saved myself a lot of time if I had read the 21.3x part of this page more thoroughly. This is actually 2.13x if you use the standard 10x scaling Blender does on export.

- Relatedly, if you try to create a 5 foot diameter spiral staircase similar to many I traversed in England, you're gonna have a bad time. 6 foot MIGHT work if characters can traverse a 64 unit spiral, but 7.5 might be a reasonable compromise between the real 5 foot stair and various AD&D standards.

Video games don't do so well with tight tolerances.

I've long since come to the conclusion that I'm just not hipster enough for Minecraft, insofar as every time I hear people talking about it, they seem to be the same sort of people who like to argue the superiority of Linux for everything.

Ultimately the problem with Minecraft is that its about gathering a placing blocks. Which is like, say, worldbuilding in any Bethesda game, but less rewarding. Granted, there has been decent steps taken to develop from that base (people have been able to create 8-bit computers in game with the wiring system), but its invariably slow coming due to the one man development squad. And the very vocal, core part of the community who regard anything that isn't about plain old placing blocks to be 'adding RPG elements' (its actually not remotely RPG like, but as I've mentioned before, these peopleare dumbshits) and hence loudly detest anything that tries to move it from a lego set to an actual game.

There is good modding potential and multiplayer opportunities which will probably work out well in the long run, but its still a shell of a game at the moment.

- Hey iTunes shuffle, I have albums that aren't the Braveheart OST, Jagged Little Pill, or that Smashing Pumpkins rarities boot. I actually have an awful lot of albums that aren't those things, and could you please stop trying to play Right Through You every third song? Your attention in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Makes me think of three things

-Once I was in a car with a bunch of Christians with my ipod on shuffle, and its started playing The God that Failed (from the Black Album). Embarrassing.

-Before I expanded the amount of Foo Fighters I had in my collection, my shuffle had a fetish for their one track I did have (DOA) from a compilation album. And it wasn't even a good song.

-Right Through You? So it didn't even have the grace to pick and interesting song from that album?

Edited by prettyfly

I'm suddenly reminded that most of the same people who I hear talking about Minecraft these days had a massive hardon for Dwarf Fortress a few years ago. And I guess. I sucked at that game. Also, I'm totally not hipster enough for ASCII graphics. I did that twice already.

- It kind of likes Hand in My Pocket too, which I can roll with. I actually like that whole album, I just don't want to hear it that often. Similarly, while I really like the Smashing Pumpkins cover of Stray Cat Blues, I really, really don't need iTunes to play it three times an hour as it's been attempting to.

And don't get me started on how much Foo Fighters it's trying to feed me. Also all of the Alice in Chains songs I don't like.

- Speaking of embarrassing moments with Christians and music, if you ever find yourself playing that one party game where you pass around a piece of paper and everyone writes down a sentence and then you read the whole thing, and you're playing with a bible study group, song lyrics might be an ok choice. Nirvana lyrics might not be. All Apologies is probably not the best song you could pick, and the "everyone is gay" line is a singularly bad choice.

As Samson can probably attest to, I was kind of a dick when I was 18. Alas.

So I'm not the only one then? Good. I simply don't understand the appeal of that game. At all.

If you wait around long enough on my blog, you'll get to read me arguing that Skyrim is probably a better spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate than Dragon Age, though. As soon as I get done writing up the other 100 tweets in my apparently epic Twitter LP of BG:EE.

Well that ought to be good. I don't see it myself, but who knows. Maybe I have and just didn't realize it.

A note for the curious. GalCiv 2. Do not attempt to play in Gigantic or Immense galaxies. The game will eventually turn into a crash happy mess as your empire becomes large. Actually crash happy isn't the word for it, because a normal crash would have been preferred to simply hearing "pop" and then having to push the reset button.

I AM APLAYING MOIUNT AND BLADE DRUNK!

WILL REPORT LATER

THIS POIST WAS NOTN CHECKED FOR SPELLING!

I KNOW I HAZ MADE MISTAKEX