Son of Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Don't throw up all over the computer Sigurd.

Also, its making me think, what would two drunk people playing each other in a Total War game look like?

Clearly I must have missed the reason for the use of all caps in ginmormous sized font. I take it that wasn't due to the drunken state? :P

IF YOU THINK THIS IS BAD, WAIT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEONE SPOILS THE BOOK FOR ME!

AMAZON WON'T SHIP MY COPY OF THE BOOK. WHAT THE SHIT IS UP WITH THAT ARGH.

Though, to be fair, I've already waited 19 years to finish this series, so I don't think another few days is going to kill me. Though it seems to have driven Sigurd to alcoholism. I clearly missed all the entertainment when I went to bed.

- If somebody's willing to provide the FRAPS and the voice chat, I'm pretty sure I'd volunteer for drunken Total War MP. For science.

- I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to spread my BG:EE posts out over like a week. I'm 7500 words in or so and have a lot left to write.

- @Samson, you're really having issues with GalCiv on large maps? That's odd. Back when I was playing a ton 5 years ago, I played mostly the biggest maps and didn't ever have much of a problem. Wonder what changed there.

I blame the Krynn.

I don't know, but Gigantic and Immense always collapse that way before reaching a victory condition. It's like they just can't handle that much data for that long. Which is odd, because every time I've looked at task manager before it crashes, the game eats maybe 150MB. So it isn't running out of memory.

Though I suppose it could be related to other issues the system has been having lately. Said issues being why I've got things set to do a weekly backup. I'm not actually sure it's the drive anymore since most of these issues appear to be accompanied by a sound event. Then again, Skyrim runs fine for hours on end. So you figure that one out.

We'll ignore the fact that these ultra huge galaxy sizes become incredibly unmanageable when war breaks out. When it takes 30 turns to cross the galaxy to engage your foe in a meaningful way it loses something in the appeal. One must simply be satisfied with the brief tit for tat where he kills your survey ship and you kill 2 of his scouts as retribution.

I used to get a lot of sound fuckups when my RAM went bad, FWIW. The Skyrim thing is slightly odd, though.

And you CAN prosecute massive galaxy-spanning wars, it's just a question of how good you're willing to make your engine and life support tech.

Can pretty easily turn into a brutal slog, though.

I'm having problems with my machine right now too. It's not 100% happy with the memory timings. When I reboot or restart, it often hangs during the memory test. But I had a problem with the disk the other day. I was playing Skyrim when it froze. I had to hit the power button. When it started up again, I was getting boot errors. Anyway it turns out Skyrim corrupted some files. I couldn't even do a full image backup. I finally got the corrupted files fixed. I was having problems with Skyrim crashing sometimes, so hopefully this has sorted it.

Are you getting any disk errors, Arthmoor?

I've had more than my fair share of BSODs in the last few weeks, which I'm sure aren't helping, but they've mysteriously gone away now that I'm running regular backups.

No disk errors though. First thing I checked. It really does seem to be an issue with GalCiv2 on really big maps because I played a "large" galaxy to a tech victory without any incidents. Which included wiping those smug Drengi out.

You what what's really weird? A regular chkdsk scan didn't detect any errors. It's the full image backup that ran into trouble. Then when I ran chkdsk c: /r then problems were found. Took forever too.

WHY IS MY BOOK IN SAN BERNARDINO ARGH

...hey Samson, do me a favor and go pick it up and run it up here? :P

It's slightly astonishing to me that we're a year into Skyrim, and native Blender support appears to be somewhere between AWOL and "wave bronze knives at chickens".

I also didn't think I was this incompetent at following simple tutorials, but here we are.

Unfortunately people don't seem to be as keen to get into the guts of the file formats anymore. Beth really changed the structure of the NIF format and the Niftools team only seems to have a couple of guys left. There have been a couple of guys do a quick one-off hack build for 3DS Max that will only work on specific kinds of models. We were hoping to do a 3DS Max plugin, but we're struggling with Gecko.

You aren't far off about the sacrificial chicken analogies. The ritual necessary to make a Blender mesh work in Skyrim is longer than most Blender tutorials I've seen, involving at least 4 different utilities one should not have to bother with.

The Fallout community had lots of good modellers. Not so many good GECK modders. Skyrim is the opposite. Lots of good CK modders. Hardly anyone who knows how to properly model for Skyrim. It won't hurt as much in the long run, but it still slows things down.

At least nifskope has caught up to the point where I can start doing some of my patented nasty hacks to produce franken-meshes.

I apparently just blew up my NifSkope install to the point where it no longer even renders Skyrim meshes, so...fuck this, I guess?

Also, out of curiosity, what tutorial are you using that requires multiple utilities? The one I'm looking at seems simple enough, but we see how well THAT worked.

Not having paid attention to anything Skyrim for the last year is sort of catching up to me.