Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Reading XML files with VB .NET. How hard could it be, really? MSDN, please die in a fire.@Samson - If you only have .NET 4, are you sure your problem isn't that you lack one of the older .NET frameworks? They do co-exist and all, and I've had crazy problems along that line before because some older version was needed for some reason.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

I only seem to have one version of .NET. I think I actually ran into trouble with some of the older ones at one point and removed them.Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile 4.0.30319Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended 4.0.30319Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack 4.0.30319Just checked hubby's machine and he has the same version.

I wouldn't doubt it if it's one of those lame older library things. It's not like we didn't run into this on the MUD every time GCC got updated. I don't suppose it's possible to find a copy of 3.5 anymore? That's what I had before because there were remnants of it left when I blew out the .NET files.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack 4.0.30319
I don't have this, it wasn't installed as part of the version 4 package I downloaded from M$.

Both hubby and I have MS Visual Studio installed. I have the express version, which is free and hubby has a full license. You might try grabbing VS Express then. It's handy anyway because it allows you to look at the dump files the CSE produces.

Try this.Point here is that 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x versions of .NET aren't entirely the same things, and can co-exist. You can't just have 4, since some things will get really pissy if you don't have, say, 2.x installed, etc. Annoying as fuck, but.

Tried that. Nothing. The EXE doesn't even acknowledge it's been clicked on. Another I found, dotnetfx35.exe, acts like it's going to, unzips temp files, then just stops. I'm pretty sure at this point that something has gone very wrong. What I am certain of though is I'm not reformatting the OS because some stupid chunk of support files for an ass-backward language can't get their shit straight.And, well, we find out apparently that Windows 7 comes with .NET 3.5.1 already installed. No fucking wonder this isn't getting me anywhere.

Or that.Kids, if you ever find yourself needing to draft up a schema for an XML file, the pro move is to finalize it BEFORE you write all the related read/write code. Rewriting it on the fly is annoying as hell.Also, boy do I regret those frequent multi-year gaps between coding projects. I sure have forgotten a lot, and there's an awful lot about .NET I never knew to begin with. Oh well.

Well I managed to get CSE 5.1 back online again. I suppose we'll see how long this lasts. There must be something else missing from the 6.0 files because attempting to install the ones I have here just massively fubars everything again.I'm not convinced .NET isn't still broken somehow either. Might have to run a Windows install repair, which I really don't want to do since Windows repairs are notoriously untrustworthy.

Did you grab the latest beta? I finally got the new DBC master out and I need to get some BM stuff out of the way, but as soon as that's done, I'll test the CSE on hubby's machine. If there are files missing, I should be able to figure out what they are.

I tried the beta files you have linked at DC but they fail to execute and it leaves the CS hung. So something is still screwy or those files aren't the entire package.

Ok. I'll try installing them on hubby's machine now. I'm uploading a ginormous file to DC and it's going to take a while. So if you notice the server is straining, it's all my fault :lol:

Ok, installed on hubby's machine with no problems. Well there is one problem: I'm thinking of stealing his machine now. Holy crap it's fast!! Jesus I never realized how fast...So other than an end to marital bliss, the CSE beta seems fine. I removed everything that was there before (he did have an old version after all) and then just installed the files from Build 10-21-2011.rar and the OBSE editor DLL.The CSE started up fine. I disabled the auxiliary viewport in the preferences, set up the new script editor and loaded an ancient version of DBC that generated a ton of errors - no problem. I also loaded in a script and that was fine too.I don't know Arthmoor. I don't think the CSE likes you. :wink:Maybe you should try installing the VS Express edition. Another possibility is a corrupt manifest file. Did you get any errors when reinstalling .NET though? We had a corrupt manifest file that was preventing the C++ redist from updating at one point, but we could see the installation failure and was able to track down the problem from there.

So I'm a bit lost here. That build 10-21 file. I'm supposed to delete ALL of the current CSE 5.1 files and replace them only with what's in that archive? If so that's not been made clear at all since your own instructions said to remove the CSE folder from beneath the ComponentDLL folder and said nothing of the ones sitting in the main Oblivion folder.Also, .NET 3.5.1 is an OS component in Windows 7. You can't uninstall it entirely, even when using the "change windows features" part of the control panel. That said, I did that. Told it to remove, rebooted, then told it to put it back. OBMM works. CSE 5.1 works. I don't remember what else I have that needs .NET.I have VC++ 2008 Express Edition installed. It works. That's what I've been using to file debug reports with.

Normally you wouldn't have to remove everything. I only suggested it for you since you're having problems. The CSE folder is the only one that should be removed and it doesn't really matter - the new CSE doesn't refer to it anymore. But there's no sense leaving it there.I was just concerned that the new build was incomplete. If it was, then I'd have to re-upload some of the files from the previous builds. It looks like it is complete.shadeMe doesn't provide detailed instructions. He just gives me the link to the new build. I did ask him about the CSE folder because I saw the new build doesn't have it anymore. He said to go ahead and remove it.You are correct about .NET 3.5.1. I have that partially installed. It's not listed under Programs and Files so I forgot all about it. So I have the base .NET 3.5.1 and the .NET 4 files I listed earlier. I do not have the Windows Communication Foundation files installed under .NET 3.5.1.If your system is fine without it, then leave it out. I have some old programs that want it. I think I actually had to put it back in at one point.shadeMe has moved up to VC++ 2010 so you might want to grab that version of the express. His stuff is specific to the 2010 version and will not work with 2008. In fact, perhaps that's the problem. VC++ does put some hooks into the OS and maybe that's causing trouble for the CSE... I don't know. I only have the 2010 version.

Worth a shot then. I'll drop it. I originally installed it because Ethatron needed help to debug my issues with OBGE. It came in handy for CSE but if it being 2008 and his code being 2010 is an issue, I can kill it. I don't really have a need for it beyond this.And... apparently something is severely fucked up with one of the language components somewhere. I'm getting swamped under "Microsoft Common Language Runtime Compiler has stopped working" errors.Ugh. Well, something has gone terribly wrong because now the Windows Installer service is also corrupted. Guess avoiding that repair install is out of the question now.

That tells you how much of this stuff is connected together in the OS. It's like using OBMM to install mods... :lol:Can you uninstall 2008 first or is that what broke everything?

It won't uninstall 2008. It floods the screen with those wonderful windows errors about some native compiler thing. So I can't get rid of it now. The Windows Installer service is corrupted beyond usability too. So I'm now backing up important shit before I bust out my OS disc and run a repair operation on it. I sure as hell don't want to spend the next 3 days in a full system reset, but if I can't get it to pull out of this tailspin I won't have much choice.

This battle has been lost. There is no repair install option even available on the OS CD. So it looks like I get to spend a bunch of wasted time reinstalling the OS cleanly because Microsoft can't produce something without a shitload of bugs in it. God damn Windows.

Have you tried Googling on the error message you're getting? That's how we found the solution to the manifest file corruption we had. I'd try that first. Mickeysoft has decided that all users are fucking idiots and has shut off most of the advanced system features, but if you know what they're called, you can start them from the command line.

No, this fight is well and truly over. I have a rule. Never spend more time trying to fix Microsoft's busted shit than it would take to wipe the system and restore it from backups. I've now reached that limit and don't care to fight with it. Besides, with the Windows Installer service itself now totally corrupted there's little else that can be done.When I Googled for the problem of fixing that, I found numerous posts on Microsoft's sites as well as others detailing the utter failure of hundreds of people to resolve it. It's not worth it. Seems generally accepted that once the system arrives in this state, it's not trustworthy to hold data anymore.

Yeah, but most of those are my hardware shooting itself in the face, not the OS. The OS is pretty solid...

Well hopefully you'll be able to truly run the CSE for 6 hours without a crash once you've fixed Windows. Amadaun and I have both done it :grinning: Re-installing Windows periodically is not new, it's just a royal pain in the ass.Edit: Btw, you'll notice that the new version of the CSE has a whole bunch of pdb files. Those are Program Debug Database files and I suspect they are the reason you're having a problem with the new build. They are to help shadeMe debug crashes and they probably only work with VS 2010. Since Amadaun and a few of the others aren't having a problem, including my husband, I'm guessing that you're fine if you only have the 2008 VC++ redist installed. But since you had VC++ 2008 express, perhaps that caused an issue. This is just a guess on my part. As I said before, both my husband and I have VS 2010 and things are fine. Both of us also have the VC++ 2008 runtime libraries and those are fine.

I guess I'll find out soon enough. OS has been reinstalled. However, FUCK YOU MOZILLA. God damn them and their idiotic ways of storing information. Dumbasses caused me to lose my entire saved password database (oh God, the number of sites I have to fix now) and my ENTIRE email setup. Why did it lose the entire email? Well apparently they don't see fit to store that in your profile. God knows where it ended up but believe me, I'm rather pissed off at these bastards right now.Firefox also decided to throw all of my cookies out the window - because yep - not stored in the profile either. God dammit.There has got to be a better way to do email clients besides Thunderbird and/or Outlook Express.