Random Stuff

Arthmoor

So, PC's been a buzz box for the last few days. Finally found out why, the fan on the power supply is not working, hence it was dumping the heat directly onto the processor fan which was spooling up to one billion RPM to compensate.I don't know anything about the power supply, are thes things fixable? Should I take it to the shop, or just fit a new one?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

PS fans typically have a special connector on them, so they have to be replaced by the proper fan for that model. I've seen them for sale online, but you might be better off just replacing the power supply. It could be the fan controller and not the fan itself.

PS fans typically have a special connector on them' date=' so they have to be replaced by the proper fan for that model. I've seen them for sale online, but you might be better off just replacing the power supply. It could be the fan controller and not the fan itself.[/quote']Yay!I may just take it into the shop then - I'm not all that happy taking everything apart in order to replace the PS, especially when everything is so neatly bundled up and I can't even see what I'm looking at without cutting all those cable ties.Funny thing is, with the cover off the box seems pretty happy, sure the PS has got pretty warm over the last hour but it doesn't seem to be radiating a lot of heat, and the damn thing was on all evening yesterday and didn't explode. Shutting down now though in any case.

My guy says £30 (so, what, $45) to fit a new power supply, and I should have the box back by Friday. Given that it doesn't look like I'll find a better deal online, and I'd have to deal with all those wires myself, it's going into the shop.

They're great guys, first used them about six years ago when I put a £1100 rig etc. on expenses, and they built the current rig a few years ago. Fingers crossed I can put another rebuild on expenses next year.

That's a pretty good deal for a new PS by itself' date=' never mind the labor.[/quote']Iknow, right? i couldn't do it for that myself. The downside of course is that I never do these things myself. Sure, I could work it all out, but why bother?On the other hand, during a recession supporting local businness is important.

So on the off chance that you're one of us who was like "Eh, Fallout: New Vegas, maybe, maybe not, meh," and then you got Steam because, well, Skyrim, it's currently $5 on Steam for the next 8 hours. Stupid cheap DLC, too.

It's called "I don't want Skyrim patched, period". Plus "Valve shall not have my CC info, ever." So, no.

I sense troubles for your position once the real patches start to hit.But, you know. For everyone else who may be so inclined.

Those patches, as we all know, are nearly always junk in the data files. Since nobody knows what patch 1.2 is going to fix, I'd much rather retain my game stability awhile longer. Cause, you know, letting it fuck me with an unwanted DRM update that stands a huge chance of turning the game into a crash happy mess isn't something any of us wants to see.

I've had three. Two were my video card overheating and causing blue flames to shoot out my fan ports which brought down the whole computer, and the third was that CTD that everyone in the world gets going in the wrong end of Breezewind Passage or whatever that cave is.

Sort of. I mean, the GPU is fine. My case airflow sucks, though:- Apparent known issue with various nVidia cards is it's hard to get fan speed over 40%, though mine does, on occasion, do this. You should theoretically be able to fix this with nTune, but nTune blows up my computer.- Given cable location, etc in my case, airflow under where the card is is really bad, and it's not pushing the hot air out fast enough. Since those cables are all my SATA stuff, it's not like I can get rid of them.There's a solution in there somewhere, but...

Really? My 8800 GT has no trouble spinning up to 100% during gameplay. Doesn't normally ever go over 85C. Don't even need external software, the drivers handle it just fine. Guess I'm just one of the lucky few who run nVidia with little issue.Only time I've ever had overheating issues on my computer is when I was using a card with a defective cooling system, and even then, it never really overheated (that is, it never took my system down), but it did get hot enough where the drivers were doing panic downclocking to keep it from melting. That card was immediately removed once I figured that out, though.

Great card, other than that.Too, there's a good possibility my case fans just aren't covering things. Hard to tell. It's only really a huge problem if it's really, really hot in the room in the first place. Taking the side off the comp solves everything.

Your cooling arrangement doesn't look any worse off than mine. Actually you might have better airflow than me other than the fact that your HDDs are on the bottom in front of the intake fan. Which will blow hot air from those into the graphics card area.

Well, nudged both HDs up a couple slots, so we'll see what that gets me.As much as I love this case, swapping HDs is a real pain in the ass. Removing the entire HD bay is a chore.

They have since changed their hard drive bay set ups. The new Lian-li cases are pretty awesome. Although the mid-towers will only hold three drives in their new bay setup. You can obviously install more into the 3.5 and 5.25 bays if necessary.

Sort of. I mean' date=' the GPU is fine. My case airflow sucks, though:

- Apparent known issue with various nVidia cards is it's hard to get fan speed over 40%, though mine does, on occasion, do this. You should theoretically be able to fix this with nTune, but nTune blows up my computer.

- Given cable location, etc in my case, airflow under where the card is is really bad, and it's not pushing the hot air out fast enough. Since those cables are all my SATA stuff, it's not like I can get rid of them.

There's a solution in there somewhere, but...

Funny, had the same problem, final bill for fixing the box was £140GB, that's £37.50 for the new PSU, and the rest to replace the slagged GFX Card.Yay, on the up side Dragon Age Origins runs like a Freaking DREAM now, and I just need a new HDD and I will be able to run Skyrim, for better or worse.

I finally got an account here. It's unfortunate that the answer to that signup math question isn't: "You're a damn sadist and I'm coming after you with a giant stick." I should know. I checked.

I finally got an account here. It's unfortunate that the answer to that signup math question isn't: "You're a damn sadist and I'm coming after you with a giant stick."

I should know. I checked.

Math isn't one of my strong points either. At least I was able to read it, which isn't true on some sites.