Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Apparently, my amateur cakes I am making for practice in my Baking lab courses are actually on par with what you might find in a professional bakeshop here in my hometown.Perhaps I should consider going into business?Also, damn you, Beth, for your lack of Occlusion culling. If only you had that, I wouldn't be having these Arcane University performance problems right now. :headbang:

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

I think the obvious answer here is to have you send us all cakes, and we'll let you know.Considering how much crap I'm loading my game down with (RAEVWD, QTP, ton of IC stuff, all the ULs), mine is doing surprisingly well. Except the memory limits. Those are killing me.

Oh man. Those cakes. I hear them calling to me.Yes, occlusion culling would also have been nice. Dwip tells me from time to time that FO3 has it as long as you use some silly CS object to make it work. I think that's a pretty dumbass way to accomplish it when you could have done so within the engine code.I fear for Skyrim if occlusion culling isn't native.

:lol: Re. Blender - the most horrid user interface on the planet. There are a ton of functions that can only be accessed via obscure shortcut keys. Gah! It's ok - I bought 3DS Max :grinning: Yeah, I know, you get what you pay for... *sigh*

I believe I shall now write a book, and call it How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love Cluttering by Guy Trying To Light Several Interiors.Argh.

So I've decided to change my avatar for a bit to advertize my new-(re)found interest in Anime. Things like watching people get smashed upside the head with a giant boomerang... never gets old. :smile:

Apparently I was doing stuff before I was arguing UI minutiae with people, but who knows what that was.And that reminds me. I need to see if my friend ever got done with my entire Ghost in the Shell set so I can get it back. Also I just remembered the other day that I totally need to rewatch Haibane Renmei.

So NASA's wayward satellite is finally down. Somewhere. Oddly, they don't seem to know. Vandenberg AFB said it entered the atmosphere over the Pacific, but nobody knows where it impacted.

Re: what was I doing before arguing Bash UI minutiae with people, apparently the answer to that is breaking into the wrong house in Bruma and getting owned in the face.

Never engage in rational argument with people on the Firefox support forum. You'll lose, every time, to irrational hostile assholes. And they wonder why people are dropping Firefox for Chrome.

Is it bad when you design a dungeon, the quest and you like the creatures involved, but it still creeps you out? Hmmm, might have made this one too creepy (and hard). LMAO

No, that's a sign that you're doing it right.Tragedy:DDR3 RAM is apparently now dirt cheap.I have a DDR2 motherboard.8 gigs of DDR2 RAM is somewhere between 1/2 and 1/3 the price of just throwing down for a new motherboard/CPU/RAM of somewhat better quality than I already have. Bah.Also, looking for external HDs makes me want to shoot myself in the face.

Then do what I did and accidentally-on-purposely-by-accident destroy your computer. :tongue:Well, actually, it destroyed itself. But the machine I built to replace it is incredible for what I paid for the parts, so it worked out in the end.

This computer has had waaaaaaaaaaay more than enough troubles with everything under the sun.Which, I guess replacing half the internals would probably make me sleep better at night, but.It would seem that it's actually a way better deal for some reason to just buy an internal HD and mate it with an eSATA enclosure, because, like, external HDs man, I don't even know what's going on with that.

Heh. I guess things could be worse.Personally, I love the new setup I have. There are a couple kinks:1. The BIOS on my motherboard are utter crap. MSI put in this new Click BIOS for my MoBo model, but it apparently takes exception to HDMI video feed and doesn't display properly when I am using my HDMI cord. If I want to do any BIOS tinkering, I need to unplug my HDMI and switch to my VGA, but if I do that, my display in Windows gets offset slightly and a portion of the screen display gets cut off.Basically, I need two video cords near my computer at all times. Fortunately, I've not had any need to enter the BIOS for quite some time, and Windows is quite happy with my HDMI cord, so at least that nibble I can ignore.2. I recently found out that one of my video cards had a defect in the cooling system, resulting in it idling at 80*C at 100% fan speed and going all the way up to over 100*C under load when the drivers started auto-downclocking the card to keep it from overheating (resulting in intermittent framerate drops for apparently no reason). Note that I do say one. My previous system had two identical cards in it set up for SLI, and the other card was not defective, so it is now my sole card.3. Despite my MoBo being advertized as SLI ready, the support for this mode is shit. Mostly because my second PCI-E X16 slot is actually a PCI-E X8 slot posing as an X16. So if I plug in a GPU there, the X16 slot gets downclocked. This means I was lied to about SLI support, since the performance gains I would get from such a setup would accomplish fuck all due to my cards operating at less-than-ideal bus transfer rates. :headbang:4. Whoever designed the SATA ports for my MoBo needs to be subjected to death by poisonous bunnies. They sit at a 90* angle to the topside of my board, facing toward the front of the case, which is to say, parallel to my hard drive block. Right next to it. Almost behind it. It is downright PAINFUL to get in there and plug things in.Other than that, the PC works great. Despite all the idiotic flim-flam they tend to put into their hardware, MSI products at least function as they should. Except for the Click BIOS, of course, but they actually are decent enough once you get past the display issues.

That all seems...problematic.Had an interesting look around the internet just now, where come to find out my specific motherboard (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR) has/had some rather wonky issues with RAM, including not dealing especially well with DDR2 1066 (you apparently need to do a lot of manual settings setting), which explains rather a lot. Given the gigantic pain in the ass this motherboard has given me, I will likely be taking manufacturer recommendations the next time I do this.Also just dropped the cash for a Samsung 2 TB HD + enclosure and a bunch of RAM sticks, so I get to play tech monkey over the weekend or so. Yay. Decided that as much fun as throwing down $400 for most of a new set of internals would be, waiting a year or so would be an even better idea.

There is a reason I usually swear by ASUS parts, and Abit before they went under. Rock solid reliability. Although I suspect my SATA is underperforming because Windows insists my hard drive is barely an average rather than what I'd expect from a SATA 2 device. No idea if the drive itself is to blame or if it's an underpowered drive controller but I can't really bother with it.@Dwip - If all you need right now is more RAM and more space you did right. Wait until the new XBox is out before deciding on any more major PC upgrades. If that unit still comes out with crap for memory and video, there's no reason to bother with high end PC parts because most game companies are no longer targeting PC performance levels.

Anyhoo, I decided to give Liquid Water a go in Nehrim. Which I installed and it worked great, but gave a small performance hit. Moreover, I found I really missed the depth of field shader and was rather annoyed by the jaggedies. Furthermore, when I tried to install a OBGE depth of field shader they stubbornly refused to work, but did carve a nasty slice of my performance. So I dropped them, which was a pity. I also tried to install a night eye shader replacement, but since I couldn't be bothered to find out how to get OBMM working for Nehrim, I simply copied over the Oblivion shader archives with the right shader already installed. Well, it worked, except I lost my depth of field shader again. So I gave up.But since I seemed determined to spoil my fun for the day by fiddling with things rather than playing the game, i decided to try and make harvest flora work for Nehrim. It turned out to be quite simple to do in the CS, however, the thing wouldn't save my new esp, and being to lazy to install CSE, I went and set Nerhimenglish.esp to be my active file. And I works a charm, but so much for any potential mod release.

I thought you guys might like to know I'm not dead.I'm just unavailable due to work/staying somewhere with no net access.