Random Stuff

Arthmoor

Wouldn't it be easier to just invoke startquest ocstatuepurge? Yeah, I probably haven't mentioned that. It's supposed to fix issues with the statue not working properly. It should replace it with a functional new one. If not, then that script is probably broken. Not that it would surprise me. The statue thing is a pain in the ass.The KR update works fine, but be prepared for some frustrating moments if you don't like underwater button and lever puzzles :P

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

The statue thing is a pain in the ass.
Might be a good time to tell you I have a dup statue. One statuey looking one, one live looking one. :lol:

I've only ever seen dup statues if a clean save was done. The OC statue script generates a new one on the first visit back to the city after a new install. Only reliable way to know whether you had one or not. Just use the console to disable the live one. I don't think there's any way to get rid of them once they've been generated.

Something that bugged me. I was watching a program called Good Game; its an Australian show about video games broadcast on a government funded TV station, and generally impresses quite well (for one, their review process seems to be a bit more independent compared to the normal gaming media). However, today they have a lengthy segment on user made content in games. Predictably, they started off with the early sim city games, and then counterstrike before moving on to the more recent era. At which point they looked at Halo; Reach, Little Big Planet, then Minecraft and finally ended up looking at the new release Dust. There was no mention of any Beth game.Which bugged me. Beth give its modders a far more powerful SDK than any of the games that they mentioned, which is further supplemented with a bunch of other extremely powerful tools to further extend the possibilities of for modders. Consequentially, the modding communities that have sprung up around this have done much more difficult and complicated things that are clearly much more impressive achievements than anything they mention in the program, save for perhaps counterstrike. Furthermore, the modding community is co-ordinated enough to ensure that there are ways to get hundreds of mods to work together at once. How is that not worthy of a mention? Why do they feel the need to show off artworks made in Minecraft or Halo Reach using map editors, but things like, say OOO (just as a basic example), get left out. There's tens of thousands of lines of complicated scripts in OOO, and that's just the traps on containers (and that's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to some of the scripting that's been done). I don't really see how placing a bunch of blocks in Minecraft rates up to something like that. Besides, if they want artists, we have them. I'd rate Carel de Winter and Banasplit up against the Minecraft artists.And just to annoy me a bit more, the female presenter said she'd been playing Oblivion again in preparation for Skyrim. :facepalm:As usual true genius gets unnoticed.

Yeah but those shows aren't truly unbiased. They will talk about whichever companies are willing to pay. Usually through advertising.

You wanna know how low movie-licensed games are sinking now?Turning Harry Potter games into cover-based shooters? How's that?

Actually, because they are on a government funded station its against the law for them to perform any sort of advertising or accept payments from any gaming company for any purpose.

Or the hosts of the show are total ignorant boobs, which is where I'd lean given that it's a government operation :P

Yeah, I think they just went 'minecraft, halo, little big planet, dust, some older stuff, thats enough to make a segment, who cares about researching'. Which ticks me off because theres a lot of people who do modding in TES who have far more talent than the people who mod the things they went through. Sure, we might not have as artists who make things quite as visually stunning (though I think there's a lot more to be said about making a detailed mesh with high res textures than building a model earth in Minecraft, as they displayed), but you can hardly say that sticking a bunch of blocks together on minecraft puts you on the same level as say, making a long, well written and branching quest line or making a complicated overhaul of part of the game using OBSE (like, say I dunno, Oblivion XP). Any yeah, for that matter, the knuckleheads at wikipedia consider the Oblivion modding community 'not notable'. I believe that should speak for itself.

It's Wikipedia. If even academia has no respect for them (and they don't, try citing them as sources in an academic paper) then why should anyone else care either? It's a political propaganda site and nothing more. Everyone I've ever talked to about it just seems to know this, yet still they cite information from them. Maddening, especially when Wikipedia editors decide something isn't noteworthy.

Yeah' date=' I think they just went 'minecraft, halo, little big planet, dust, some older stuff, thats enough to make a segment, who cares about researching'. Which ticks me off because theres a lot of people who do modding in TES who have far more talent than the people who mod the things they went through. Sure, we might not have as artists who make things quite as visually stunning (though I think there's a lot more to be said about making a detailed mesh with high res textures than building a model earth in Minecraft, as they displayed), but you can hardly say that sticking a bunch of blocks together on minecraft puts you on the same level as say, making a long, well written and branching quest line or making a complicated overhaul of part of the game using OBSE (like, say I dunno, Oblivion XP).

Any yeah, for that matter, the knuckleheads at wikipedia consider the Oblivion modding community 'not notable'. I believe that should speak for itself.[/quote']Yeah, well they didn't mention Total War modding either, did they?Not actually something to complain about.

Just decided to dust off Fallout 3 once again, and I'm actually finding it pretty surprising how much easier it is to get immersed into that game than it is for Oblivion.First off, the fact that Fallout 3 needs fewer mods to be a decent RPG is certainly one factor. There are also a lot fewer engine-related nibbles working to bring my experience back to earth (boring dungeons, model pop-in, etc.). Bethesda actually did a pretty good job at getting all those engine problems Oblivion had ironed out for Fallout 3.I expect I will be spending more time in the Capital Wasteland now that I have re-discovered the charm of living in post-apocalytia.

I wonder how much of it was the shock factor too. I mean after playing Oblivion for 3 yrs and then being dumped into F3 - it was still a shock. I knew it was going to be like that, but still. I won't have the time anytime soon, but yeah, I will dust off F3 again one of these days...

I've actually played so much Fallout in the past few months, I'm kind of ready to get back to Oblivion...On another note that I think you all be amused by, one of my quirks when working, either in the CS or Blender, is that my brain likes to seize on some random song, which I will then play for several hours straight as a concentration aid.The issue here is that I don't always get much of a choice as to what the song is, which is why yesterday I had this:

And today I had this:

Which, you know. One of these things is not like the other and all that.

FO3 certainly surpsised me when I found out how good it could be made with just a few mods. I'm always bugged by the lack of interesting quests in it though. Installing Mothership Zeta Crew helps a bit though. It also asked me for 10000 caps at one point, which is a shitload with FWE, and kept me busy for a while because I decided to not cheat and get the cash the hard way.It might run better than Oblivion, but I'm still finding that I get this weird, unexplained , severe lag on random occasions when I get up to a savegame filesize of 12mb + though. But I can live with it.Also; playing a single song again and again while doing something boring. Yeah, I do that. Generally an old Metallica song or something. But when its 3AM and I'veheard Welcome Home (sanitarium) 30+ times in a row, I generally start to feel a bit like the guy in the song.

I just never got into FO3 enough to want to keep playing. Even after a bunch of mods finally came out for it, nothing I've seen had that grab on me like Oblivion still does. I also wasn't as impressed with the main story as some people seem to be. Maybe because it was in fact very short. Broken Steel helped but still.Also, I thought I was the only one who replayed a single song over and over again.And finally Youtube releases the cool black controls to the embed codes.Does anyone find it obsessive when you go hunt down a tree stump resource because you want to show people the stand of trees you said the workers were going to cut down?

Too much of watching this show has caused me to have reservations about anything involving Little Lamplight ever again. Probably the real reason you can't kill kids in that game.At the present moment, I find nothing involving tree stumps obsessive. Also, the game needs more of them anyway.As to the single song thing, been doing it for years. Like that time I played the Status Quo version of Pictures of Matchstick Men for like a week straight when I wrote my Master's project. Still not sure how I did that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kG-mU7wgW4&feature=related

Does anyone find it obsessive when you go hunt down a tree stump resource because you want to show people the stand of trees you said the workers were going to cut down?
No, not at all... Which is why it has taken us so long...I don't do the single song thing - I do the whole playlist thing - over and over and over... iTunes is beautiful...

Speaking of which, I have made my

. Which basically involves a five minute clip of me killing assorted gribblies in Fallout 3. I also found it stupidly time consuming and frustrating (screw you, windows movie maker), so I'm unlikely to do it again, but anyway... whistle.gif And I second Arthmoor's comment about the Main Quest in FO3 being rather rubbish and Broken Steel being an improvement (a lot of people seem to either go OMG I LUV FO3 MAIN QUEST! or OMG FO3 MAIN QUEST SUCKZ BROKEN STEEL MAKEZ IT WORZE! :shrug:) I want New Vegas quality quests with FO3 quality environments next time.

Heh, well the only reason I even cared about tree stumps is because part of a quest involves the player being told some NPCs that got hired will be out cutting trees for wood. Well, eventually once that stage is done, trees will be gone, stumps replace them. It just seemed wrong not to actually have the trees come down. Plus I had apparently forgotten to assign the NPCs to any new tasks after their first job ended. They turned into welfare leeches who just stood around and got paid for it :PI didn't say the MQ in FO3 was rubbish, it was decent. Just short. VERY short. I didn't think it was uber-awesome but didn't think it sucked ass either.