Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

HAH! Another armor speculation thread that was based off another E3 interview popped up, and a developer ever so cleverly showed up there and just said "dont assume peoples ;) wait till you know for sure."I love Bethesda. Always know just how to tease people with just the right comment. This is sure to send the speculation into even more insane levels :)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

HAH! Another armor speculation thread that was based off another E3 interview popped up' date=' and a developer ever so cleverly showed up there and just said "dont assume peoples ;) wait till you know for sure."

I love Bethesda. Always know just how to tease people with just the right comment. This is sure to send the speculation into even more insane levels :)[/quote']Yeah, still betting on one slot though, and not best pleased. Morrowind allowed you to equip 16 items at once:TrousersShirtBeltAmuletBootsLeft GloveRight GloveHelmetRight PauldronLeft PauldronCuriassGreavesShieldWeaponRight RingLeft RingOblivion cut 6 of these, more cutting means less interesting outfits and sets.Remember when you used to get things like paired gloves where one boosted sneak and the other lockpicing?I miss that.

Well we know for a fact from the E3 demo videos that gauntlets, helmets, and boots still exist. The speculation rises only from the fact that nobody saw greaves, just "armor".There's nothing to suggest they're getting rid of clothing slots, though it'll probably be like Oblivion where you can't have clothing on under your armor. Though nothing has been shown one way or the other to suggest you can't, so who knows.Pauldrons have been gone for 5 years now. There's been rumor and lots of unsupported speculation that the crafting system will bring them back as modifications to a one-piece body+leg suit. Which would be cool if true, but I wouldn't hold my breath.Honestly I think the balance was about right in Oblivion because you could get insanely powerful in Morrowind with all those slots and the right enchantments.

Yes, well at level 38 I felt I deserved to be insanely powerful.Skrim looks to be "bigger" than Oblivion, by which I mean it looks like there will be more "stuff" to see, do, kill, and loot. Todd said something about "thousands" of items - so we shall see.

Well it's also bigger in another way - the 3rd dimension. Skyrim is going to have a lot of UP that Oblivion just didn't have in addition to it's general surface area. Someone commented that they think the added climbing will provide roughly 15% more playable area.

Or on gates! I never took a screenie, but I had one that wound up standing on the gate to the little corral next to the stable.

Fan interview is up.Greaves fans will be saddened to finally get confirmation that your leg slot is now gone. However, 3rd person fanatics who like tattoos, scars, variable body builds, etc. will not be disappointed. Off to read the rest!

Fan interview is up.

Greaves fans will be saddened to finally get confirmation that your leg slot is now gone. However' date=' 3rd person fanatics who like tattoos, scars, variable body builds, etc. will not be disappointed. Off to read the rest![/quote']On the plus side: Get married (then leave her alone in the cabin while you Druss is up)On the bad side: Todd clearly completely fails to get the appeal of medium armour, and the excuse for spears was weep, thrown weapons didn't even get a mention.

Fan interview is up.Greaves fans will be saddened to finally get confirmation that your leg slot is now gone. However' date=' 3rd person fanatics who like tattoos, scars, variable body builds, etc. will not be disappointed. Off to read the rest![/quote']I don't see it say that the leg slot is gone, just that they decided to combine cuirass and greave armours. Hopefully it's still there for clothes.

Overall I think its quite satisfying, I think they gave good reasons for making changes that I wasn't necessarily support of at first. I was bugged though that all the races run at the same speed though. Y'know, doesn't really make sense (fuck it, modders can fix that). Also, I didn't really get any vibes that you'd be able to choose which side of the civil war wins. I'll be annoyed if we are forced to support one side.Oh, and then there's marriage. I suppose its no biggy (since its not the focus of the game), though if they start flaunting it as a major feature in the next game/ bring in babies to the mix then we've got a problem.

What I take away from that interview is all the basics are the same. Especially when he said race/skills/abilities are modeled after Oblivion. The only difference is no difference between male and female (about time they got that right).The roleplayers will be happy with marriage/companions. Not my thing though.

I was bugged though that all the races run at the same speed though. Y'know' date=' doesn't really make sense (fuck it, modders can fix that).[/quote']Just what I was worried about - this is what happens when you ditch core stats for skills.

I wasn't nearly as happy with it as a lot of people seem to be. Probably because my question got ignored :P

On the bad side: Todd clearly completely fails to get the appeal of medium armour' date=' and the excuse for spears was weep, thrown weapons didn't even get a mention.[/quote']Pretty much this. Having it muddled up is the ENTIRE POINT. Maybe not quite so much Morrowind-style medium armor is the best stuff in the game, but you know. OTOH, I kind of hear them on spears. If you've got to do a whole perk tree for them, yeah, I can see how that would suck. It's a less weak answer than in the days of Oblivion, but come on.Which I guess means no Ten Paws medium armor spear wielders. Lame, if expected.Other things:- Also on the weak as hell side, that was the best answer you could come up with for Mark and Recall? Fly and Levitate, ok, but you can't possibly add a no recall flag? Maybe in the future, somebody invented spells to block that sort of thing? Do none of you play D&D? I mean, seriously people.- So, do those character customization options sound sweet or what?- I can probably deal with Fallout-style armor. I'm less sanguine about NOT doing Fallout-style quests, but we'll see where they go with that. I'm not really expected them to go all New Vegas on us with the MQ, but some choice would be nice.- Enchanting system actually sounds pretty cool. We'll see.- Definitely put me in the "Hey, they're doing cool things with companions!" camp. I hope they do a reasonable job of it. It's a lot harder than you might think.- Seemingly they're doing more for us PC types than they've done in the past re: textures and the like. But we'll see.- No differing speeds? Really? Ok, I guess?- Tavern brawls. Heh.

I absolutely must start a tavern brawl, just because. Especially if it's going to be a non-lethal fight. Sometimes you just have to bust some heads.Not really sure I follow how Fallout questing was much different from Oblivion questing. They both had stages and shit, so I'm not getting the difference, which is probably why I didn't have much reaction to that one.Differing speeds? Eh. Honestly don't care as long as there are ways to make yourself faster and/or ways to slow down your enemies.The PC textures thing is at least reassuring. Of course any sane developer should be doing all their source material in super-high res anyway so they can downscale it as needed. No sane developer I know of would seriously attempt to upscale a low res source.

Mechanically, Oblivion and Fallout were the same. Stylistically, not so much - A lot of (most?) Fallout 3 quests had some amount of player choice in them - Help the Enclave, don't help the Enclave, kill some dudes or steal the jimcracky, what have you. Which would be nice to have. Of course, then there's New Vegas, where if you can't quite do ANYTHING, you can sure do a LOT of things regarding choices and outcome. Wish they'd gone that way, but Bethesda doesn't really roll that way.

Well unless I'm misinterpreting their response to question 4, they plan to have lots of quests with branching outcomes. Which seems to me they're closer to FO3 than most of the OB quests.

Or on gates! I never took a screenie' date=' but I had one that wound up standing on the gate to the little corral next to the stable.[/quote']:) (Click me)

So how dumb are you if you're confused by Oblivion? Seriously Todd, THAT'S your lame excuse for some of the systems you're removing from the game?

^^^What she said.Never underestimate the lengths console gamers will go to avoid using their brains.

Well, I dunno. We've been over this one before, but they've kind of got a point with regards to how stats versus skills vs HP/whatever work, which is mostly what that article is talking about. It's fairly intuitive to ME, because I play a ton of Oblivion and read a ton of stuff on it, but if I didn't I'd be fairly confused. So can't really fault them there.That said, it's not THAT hard to understand, so much as it's hard to make work out really well in practice. (Damn it, I wanted Strength this level, not Speed! Argh!)