What the hell?

Hana

It's something of a long-term goal. Santa, and Santa's epic Steam/Amazon sales, sort of brought me a windfall of games to be playing (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, CoD Black Ops, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 1+2), so we'll see when I get there, but yeah, I've kind of been wondering how it'll be here in 2010, five odd years after the last time I played it.Got about as far as getting Mash and the patches going. Mlox and graphics pimping are up next. And from what I hear, there's a whole lot of graphics to be pimped.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Conner

• Arthmoor

• Hana

• Dwip

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it turns out the info is buried in the CS wiki. Who knew?
So the info was out there for anyone who cared to really really dig deeply enough?
*beats Wrye Mash with a stick*
Mash? :blink:
I sense someone has returned to Morrowind
Is that what Mash is about?
Santa' date=' and Santa's epic Steam/Amazon sales' date=' sort of brought me a windfall of games to be playing (Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, CoD Black Ops, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 1+2),[/quote'']Well, I'll go ahead and be envious about Fallout: New Vegas, but I'm not so into the war games. :shrug:I hope that you remembered to thank Santa appropriately. ;)

Wrye Mash is the Morrowind version of Wrye Bash, yeah.As to the shooters, well, turns out it's a gameplay skillset I really enjoy. As we can apparently see. And in the Mass Effect sense of the thing, apparently they're kind of the squad-based sci-fi shooter version of Dragon Age or KOTOR, so why the hell not, right?Yeah, I'm being appreciative towards Santa, to be sure.

I could only so guess based on Samson's comments. :shrug:Meh, to each his own. I won't knock your favorites but I don't happen to share the preference. That's not to say that I don't enjoy first person shooters, or even just shooters in general, but I'm not all that into war game or pvp style games. Generally, I prefer my targets to be non-human and I prefer spells/swords/bows to guns/grenades/mines, just as usually prefer horses or dragons to APCs and tanks. ;) There are exceptions, naturally, for example, I have really enjoyed the Fallout series for years and years now because the premise is so intriguing and the game play is generally very immersive. :shrug:I'll bet. :lol:On a side note: I'm a Clanholder now instead of just an Initiate! Yay me! :lol:

Indeed, not for everyone, although there are certain classics like the Half-Life series that perhaps ought to be. ;) For myself, I generally tend to go for the stuff with strong singleplayer or co-op elements, which is why we got years of milage out of the Battlefield games, and why Left 4 Dead 2 is so awesome. PvP is kind of the realm of 16 y/os with way too much time on their hands and more reflexes than I have.Speaking of Fallout, my copy of New Vegas showed this morning. Maybe the best thing about living here is being 2 hours or so from an Amazon distribution center, like so:Amazon: Hey, we're shipping your stuff with free shipping. Expect it between the 4th and the 10th.Me: So I should look for it tomorrow morning. Awesome.Incredibly handy, especially since you apparently can't buy basically anything here. Dish brushes? Carving forks? Not in any of the 5 relevant stores here, but Amazon sure has them.

I'll concede half-life has an appeal despite the genre. But yes, I far prefer the games that are primarily single player or co-op rather than competitive multiplayer. Considering that when I do multiplay it's usually with my wife, I'd much rather play with her than against her. ;)Oh, very nice. Now I have a whole new reason to be jealous of you. :alien::lol:

Also' date=' good job on 500. You've left me in the dust now. ;)[/quote']Thanks! You did say that you didn't want to be the post count leader here.. I've tried to help you avoid it. ;)

Half Life is a rip off of a true classic: System Shock. That was a series worthy of being called great. I generally have no interest in modern day shooters, they're all basically Doom clones on steroids with no substance. Gimmie a good RPG any day and I'm happy.Which is why 2011 should be a hell of a year for gamers like me:Two Worlds 2Dragon Age 2Witcher 2SkyrimSpaced out far enough in between that there will be plenty of time to enjoy each one on its own merits. Probably an RPG or 2 I missed. And not Mass Effect 3 or Diablo 3 either. I have no interest in those whatsoever.

Perhaps, but how many of us remember System Shock? And Doom was awfully successful which means a lot to game devs. But I will agree that good RPGs are worth far more to me than most shooters, especially the ones set in modern/future environments.I've been watching Witcher 2 and trying to figure out how I'll be able to afford a copy too. Dragon Age 2 might get my attention as well, and obviously Skyrim will be one to check out when I can as well. I don't know enough about Two Worlds to be hyped about it's sequel though.I'm also not interested in Mass Effect, but when Diablo 3 comes out my wife and I will most likely be looking for a copy to play here. ;)

Meh' date=' to each his own. I won't knock your favorites but I don't happen to share the preference. That's not to say that I don't enjoy first person shooters, or even just shooters in general, but I'm not all that into war game or pvp style games. Generally, I prefer my targets to be non-human and I prefer spells/swords/bows to guns/grenades/mines, just as usually prefer horses or dragons to APCs and tanks. ;) There are exceptions, naturally, for example, I have really enjoyed the Fallout series for years and years now because the premise is so intriguing and the game play is generally very immersive. :shrug: [/quote']I used to be a FPS shooter player, but then I came across Oblivion...Other than MGS4 I've been on Bethesda RPGs ever since.
PvP is kind of the realm of 16 y/os with way too much time on their hands and more reflexes than I have.
It went pretty badly for me with runescape (when I was an annoying twelve year-old) and I haven't really tried it since...
Speaking of Fallout' date=' my copy of New Vegas showed this morning[/quote']I've been pretty damn happy with the game ever since I got it for PS3, though I think I may feel a bit different when my save game file size goes over 12mb... :sad:EDIT: ok, so I was ninja'd five times...not to bad.

Well, it looks like I'm with everyone else here. I don't care for PvP shooters, (mainly because I really really suck ;) ) I tend to prefer fantasy settings to modern/future, (something else goes here but I forgot what it was).I was actually disappointed with DAO and Fallout.

I'll lay odds it won't be long before the ads move to full blown pop-ups and pop-unders. Methinks Dark0ne has tasted profitable ad revenue and hungers for more.
Called it.

What a dumbass idea, Nexus. Fortunately, IE's popup blocker is pretty unimpressed.And apparently I must go sulk over here in the corner. With my copy of Goldeneye for N64. Yes.@Dallen - Curiosity. What didn't work with DAO/Fallout for you?

@Dwip - DAO was to linear for me, plus I reached one point where I wasn't leveled enough and my choices were "Go that way and die immediately" or "Go the other way and die immediately." Fallout was mainly because when you finish the main quest, the game ends. I put in some mod that continues it, but it was dodgy to say the least.

I used to be a FPS shooter player' date=' but then I came across Oblivion...Other than MGS4 I've been on Bethesda RPGs ever since.[/quote']I still really like some of the older FPS games, and a few of the newer ones too, but mainly I far prefer games like Baldur's Gate, Oblivion, Sacred, The Witcher, and their ilk. I do still play Doom 3 and Diablo II and Hellgate and... now and then, and occasionally I even fire up the original Doom or Decent or ..., well, you get the idea.
EDIT: ok' date=' so I was ninja'd five times...not to bad.[/quote']:lol: It's not nearly as bad over here as on Samson's blog, but it does still happen when we get a topic going actively. ;)(This is why I prefer to quote what I'm replying to, so no one thinks I'm replying to something I hadn't actually seen yet.)
I don't care for PvP
That's me. It's not even a matter of being good or not' date=' though admittedly I'm not so good at most of them from lack of practice, as it is a matter of preferring to play together rather than against those I wanted to play with to begin with. (Kind of a "if I like you enough to want to play a game with you, why would I want to try to kill you??" mentality, I suppose.)
I'll lay odds it won't be long before the ads move to full blown pop-ups and pop-unders. Methinks Dark0ne has tasted profitable ad revenue and hungers for more.
Called it.
Go figure' date=' eh? :(
And apparently I must go sulk over here in the corner. With my copy of Goldeneye for N64. Yes.
Nah' date=' no need to sulk, we each have our own likes and dislikes, and there's nothing wrong with that. I've got a PS2 here rather than a N64 or PS3 or Wii or... and I think Goldeneye is one of the games I've got for it too, actually... nope, just checked, I was mistaken, but I've got plenty of others along similar lines over there, but on the PS2 when I play games like that I play them solo. :shrug:
@Dallen - Curiosity. What didn't work with DAO/Fallout for you?
Yes, I was wondering this too.

@Dwip - DAO was to linear for me' date=' plus I reached one point where I wasn't leveled enough and my choices were "Go that way and die immediately" or "Go the other way and die immediately." Fallout was mainly because when you finish the main quest, the game ends. I put in some mod that continues it, but it was dodgy to say the least. [/quote']I hadn't played DAO I guess (not certain off-hand which game that is).I got really frustrated by that aspect of Fallout too and when I first hit it I blew off the game completely for a couple of weeks. When I did restart it I purposely avoided most of the main quest so I could manage to check out the rest of the world and play the rest of the quests. The first time though I was pretty annoyed, especially since I'd bought an expansion for the game and hadn't even been able to start playing it at the point that the game ended for me, I'd even tried restarting from my last save several times so I could try out the other main quest dialogue choices and there was no way to avoid ending the game once you'd already reached the end location at that point. :(I think Samson had railed against that aspect too on his blog at one point.

DAO=Dragon Age Origins. It was the rage ~6-8 months ago. Nexus has a site devoted to it, but compared to the other games they host, it seems to have a relatively small following.

The problem with Bioware games, of course, is that the relatively linear worlds make modding a whole lot less rewarding. Although Baldur's Gate 2 disagrees with me heavily.Re: DAO, yeah, the difficulty sawtooth really sucked in a lot of spots. Better in later patches, but still bad. I really hope they fix that in DA2, among other things.Re: Fallout, thank you Broken Steel, but yeah. The whole ending the game thing was fairly annoying, and the Bethesda rationale for it was pretty dumb.As to the PvP thing, I kind of suck at everything PvP unless it exists on N64. I will kill you at Mario Kart. Yes. Everything else in the world, not so much.

Doh, I should've thought of that one. :facepalm: On the other hand, I haven't ever played it myself, so maybe I have a bit of an excuse for its not coming to mind. :shrug:Agreed, most Bioware games are too linear to bother with modding.Oh? Do you remember what their rationale for that was still? I know I'd read it way back, but I don't recall what it was anymore, just that it was way beyond frustrating to encounter.Again, I don't care for PVP to begin with so I almost never play that way, thus I'm not very good at it. Though I have found that PVE skills really do translate somewhat despite what most PVPers would try to have us all believe. ;) (There is a certain perverse pleasure to be had from wiping the floor with some PVPer who couldn't shut their mouths about how awesome their skillz are compared to someone who never plays PVP... innocent.gif )

Modding Bioware games is also said to be orders of magnitude more difficult than modding TES/Fallout games. And with a ~900MB toolkit, dear God why would you even try?I railed against the FO3 ending because it's Bethesda and if anyone could find a way to not do that, it was them. A moddable game has no excuse for having a hard ending, and even DAO violates that heavily with the way post-ending DLCs work. Broken Steel fixed the problem with FO3 but that's a gimpy way to extract money for DLC out of people.I dislike PvP games entirely. In fact, the whole MMO scene in general has no appeal to me. I much prefer sandbox/solo gaming. I don't care if it has MP support, I don't really want to deal with that in an RPG of any sort. I soured early on the whole idea when I got in on the Ultima Online beta.

A 900mb toolkit?!? :facepalm:Agreed that it was a nasty way to wrangle extra money from us all for an expansion module, but there really was no reason for the had ending no matter how you slice it because they'd given us such a full world to explore and so many side quests that couldn't be completed if you'd finished the main quest. :(Thankfully, not all MMOs are strictly PVP, much like muds there are some that don't feature PVP at all and many offer the option of playing straight PVE as well. In RPGs, I tend to favor solo play overall, but I've played a few that were fun to play co-op mode as well.

Most of the people I've seen in MMOs are jerks regardless of the PvP status. They were in UO, and when I used up a pair of Guild Wars demos they were as well. I've heard too many horror stories about assholes and WoW, so I just don't see the point.

Hey, at least DAO _has_ a toolkit. You don't even want to know what it takes to mod an Infinity Engine game.The stated reason, such as it was, for FO3 not allowing people to continue past the ending was "We didn't think anybody would want to."I wish I was making that up.

@Samson: I can't argue that, most of the folks I've met in MMOs are jerks, but I did meet a few pretty nice people in Mythos and Hellgate: London's beta testing groups, and several of the mudders we know have been pretty active on WoW, so presumably they can't all be bad there. I will readily concede the main point though and even go so far as to add that I certainly couldn't see bringing myself to actually pay to play on most MMOs while I reserve the position that there are a few free ones out there that I've tried (before I had to rely on satellite) that weren't bad and I don't think they're all entirely populated exclusively by jerks.@Dwip: :facepalm: Ok, that really is pathetic, surely even their own testers must've complained that they hadn't felt like they'd actually finished the game when they hit the endgame.. unless.. they did beta test before release, didn't they?? :stare: