• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Conner

• Arthmoor

• Hana

• Dwip

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey' date=' at least DAO _has_ a toolkit. You don't even want to know what it takes to mod an Infinity Engine game.[/quote']Ignorance mode on: Aren't Infinity Engine games from an entirely different company?
The stated reason, such as it was, for FO3 not allowing people to continue past the ending was "We didn't think anybody would want to."
Keep in mind that both previous Fallout games had hard endings. There was no post-game play. You finished what you set out to do, the outro played, you heard what effect you had on things, and then the credits rolled. Bethesda probably thought it was all part of Fallout tradition so I think it's to their credit in that respect that they wanted to keep that going. What they clearly missed was that they're Bethesda and their reputation for open ended games overrode that and they totally blew it by not realizing the fans wanted an open ended Fallout game. Broken Steel was an elegant hand-waved solution to that, so I do have to give them props for getting out of the trap they made for themselves.

Having never played either of the other fallout games (although the original was my dad's favorite game) I played FO3 like a Bethseda game. In other words, get the main quest over with so you can enjoy the game. :shrug:

I went into FO3 expecting a Bethesda game too, so, you know. Although by the time I got there, I knew about the hard ending.Infinity Engine itself is a Bioware creation. Black Isle (later to become Obsidian) had various amounts to do with any given IE game, but the engine itself is Bioware's. And from what I've seen, it's a mess to make mods with, since of course it was never designed for any such thing. From what little I've delved into Bioware modding in general, any given game features a number of fairly questionable architecture decisions when looked at from the perspective of anybody who's spent time modding Bethesda games. OTOH, a lot of people who weren't me seemed to get a lot of milage out of the NWN toolset, so.

Ah. Well. I new NWN modding was a beast, buddy of mine from work tried his hand at it once and cursed the day he wasted on trying to figure anything out. Apparently people on the forums he went to for help were condescending as well with the attitude that if you couldn't figure out the toolkit you were too dumb to mod. I can't help but wonder if that sort of thing killed it in general.Since DAO modding hasn't got a really strong following and it was designed for that, it makes me wonder just how bad NWN must have been when it wasn't designed for it.DA:Nexus has a bit less than 2000 DAO mods on the site. That's pathetic really. Even F:NV is already well past that.

Since I have no experience at all with DAO, I'll leave that discussion aside...I think the problem with FO3's hard ending was exactly what Samson's saying, the 3 Fallout games that came before it all had hard endings, but they also let you resolve all your side quests (what few you were given) before you actually hit the end game and nobody went into those games expecting Bethesda's reputation. Bethesda gave us a (comparatively) HUGE world to explore with a ton of potential side quests that were entirely unrelated to the main quest and then left in the hard ending.I had heard that the NWN toolset had been successfully used in other games, but when I made an attempt to play with it a couple of times just to see what could be done with it (since NWN originally came with promises of how it could be used by DMs for all sorts of cool computerized table top gaming experiences), I found it a pretty serious pain in the ass to figure out any aspect of it too. Somewhere on one of my hard drives I'm sure I still have a room or two I'd started and never really got past... :sigh: I didn't even bother trying the forums for help at the time though, I just wasn't that determined to get it working since my players were all quite ok with just playing table top instead of online anyway. :shrug:

Nexus has a bit less than 2000 DAO mods on the site. That's pathetic really. Even F:NV is already well past that
There's that many? :shock:

Why does my computer hate me? :(Why can't it be happy and not collapse with fits of BSOD's? Why can't it boot up ONCE and not three times in a row? Today and yesterday have been particularly troublesome. A lot of service control errors, something about Microsoft Antimalware needing updating (?), memory-management BSODs, page fault BSOD's.Re-ran a complete chkdsk (AGAIN!) and this boot seems to be stable, no errors reported yet. But man, I'd love to revert back to XP right now. Never ever gave me this much trouble./frustrated rant

This is almost certainly where I start talking about RAM checks again while waving a bronze knife and a rabbit mask.

Yes. And, co-incidentally enough, I *was* going to go see my computer guy on Thursday to buy RAM (upgrades for everyone!), but wasn't feeling well.I guess I know what I'm doing on Monday.

Indeed, definitely sounds like you've got some bad RAM. Very possibly in one of the sticks that doesn't get used as much. Win7 is taking up more memory, therefore more sticks get used now = problem stick shows up to raise hell more.

"bronze knife and rabbit mask" ... :crazy:"upgrades for everyone!" You go, girl! ;)(Sorry to hear you were feeling :sick: again.)Overall, I'm inclined to agree with Samson and Dwip, regardless of knife waving and mask wearing, the symptoms you've cited do sound very much like some of your ram may be suspect. If Win7 is suddenly hitting the higher memory addresses that hadn't previously really been getting used and one (or more) of them is bad, it's going to start showing up a lot more often. :thinking:

The NWN Toolset is why it took me so long to get into the Oblivion Modding business. It was so hard to do anything with the toolset for NWN and NWN2 that I kinda gave up on Modding and went back to 90% Console gaming. The only games that pulled me away from the consoles for gaming were the few MMOs that I played with friends. (Final Fantasy XI & XIV, DDO, WoW for what little time I played it), Sins of a Solar Empire, StarCraft I & II when the urge hit, and the Diablo series. I still haven't beat NWN2 though, so I should probably give that a try again. Right now, I'm playing Fable: The Lost Chapters as it was one part of a late Christmas gift from a Family member who wasn't able to come home for Christmas as he had planned, But it was an awesome present anyway: Fable: The Lost Chapters (PC), Fable II: GOTY (Xbox 360), and Fable III (Xbox 360). I think the biggest draw of Console gaming for me is how easy it is to play games with other people online, for the most part I enjoy playing games with other people over just playing by myself because it's more fun for me that way, which is one of the reasons I enjoy MUDing and MMOs for the most part. Regardless of how assholish a lot of people can be, there are just as many people out there that aren't assholish. You just have to be able to look past the assholes and find the people that aren't.

Regardless of how assholish a lot of people can be' date=' there are just as many people out there that aren't assholish. You just have to be able to look past the assholes and find the people that aren't.[/quote']This is the main issue with MMOs, and even MUDs anymore, I think I first really learned this back when Blizzard came out with battle.net for Diablo II. There are some good people out there, but they're surrounded by such large crowds of jerks that it can be a real challenge (call it a mini-game in itself if you'd like) to find 'em. :shrug:

FFS' date=' Refscope 1.1, stop telling me I downgraded you when I upgraded you!![/quote']:lol: I get this with apps for my smartphone all the time too, really makes you question the use of the word smart in the term. ;)

I found battle.net to be kinda hostile, too. I don't even remember what game I had for it, but everyone and his brother having an attitude took the fun out of it. Well, that and by the time I made one tank or whatever all four of the other players had massive armies and were invading me. :yawn:

FFS' date=' Refscope 1.1, stop telling me I downgraded you when I upgraded you!![/quote']Why are you installing 1.1 when 2.1.2 is the latest version?

wtf there's a 2.1.2 already?I'd upgraded from 2.1.0 to 2.1.1 like, 2 weeks ago. And have since been getting that message when it initializes every game load.Guess I'm upgrading again.

Neo: Whoa. I know editor markers.Morpheus: Show me.Neo: You can't see them. Except in the editor. It's kind of the point.A few notes on how to make editor markers (XMarkers, trigger zones, etc) with Blender/Nifskope. I might be persuaded to make this an image-riddled verbose tutorial if somebody wants me to.1. Create your marker geometry in Blender. In my specific example it was based on my collision mesh, but the main thing is that you have some geometry in there. Pretty sure you need to fill it with actual faces, outward facing normals, all that business.2. Give it a material. You don't need to actually do anything with said material, just make sure it's there.3. Export to .nif and close Blender.4. Open up your mesh and a mesh with the sort of editor marker you want to create in Nifskope.5. In the vanilla mesh, find the NiMaterialProperty for the editor marker mesh, right click, and copy. Move over to your new mesh, and use Paste Over to replace your material with its material.5a. If you want semi-transparency like a lot of the vanilla markers have, in your editor marker's NiMaterialProperty block, find the Alpha property and change it to 0.5. Then, you'll need to add a NiAlphaProperty under the NiTriShape block. This is optional.6. Create a new NiNode, and name it EditorMarker. Set its Flags property to 14.7. In the SceneRoot NiNode, scroll down to Children and open up the list. One of the children will be your editor marker NiTriShape block. Replace that block number with the number of your new editor marker NiNode (probably 1).8. Open up your editor marker NiNode, and change the Num Children property to 1. Click the green arrows by Children to refresh the list, then open the Children list and change the only property under there to the number of your editor marker's NiTriShape block.9. In your object's BSXFlags, open it up and make sure EditorMarkers Present is checked, or add 32 to whatever number is in there already.At this point you should be good to go.You should in theory be able to create all-editor marker objects such as XMarkers this way, although the actual XMarker mesh is constructed very differently, and presumably is hidden in some different manner.

Dwip, while I'm sure that's great info for somebody working with editor marker objects, I have to sort of wonder what in the conversation brought it up?

Absolutely nothing, but this is sort of our random catchall topic at the moment, so...[edit] Ok, kind of a lie. Actually it was Hana's wanting my garden paths resource over in my mods thread, but I didn't want to clutter up that thread with this, so.

Thank you, Mr. Rabbit.I would like to see more about this, with pics, etc in a tutorial. That'd be great.