[WIPz:Oblivion] AFK_Mausoleum

Dwip

Funnily enough, pretty much the whole reason I didn't major in it was because I can't draw above the stick figure level. Also University of Oregon sucks, but really it was the stick figure thing.No drawing in history, thankfully.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Hana

• Arthmoor

• Conner

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. And yet, here you are, constructing what will IMO be the most glorious Oblivion model to date, from anyone other than Bethesda. Sorry, they've got you cold with the animation work on Frostcrag Spire :)

Now you see why I was laughing about your drawing objection. ;)And nah, I figure they beat everyone and their dog with the Orrery animations. Also that intro bit when you come through the gate into SI. I'm ok, but I'm certainly not that good.

Now you see why I was laughing about your drawing objection. ;)
Oh... you haven't seen me try to draw straight lines with a mouse, have you :P

Can't be worse than my own straight lines. :PFloors, why must you be this way? You were supposed to be simple. This is not simple. No simplicity is being had.

Math. It is your friend. Please treat it nicely.This post brought to by the numbers 12, 13, 103.6, 62.8, and 12.8.

Oh I don't know. My straight lines are pretty bad.My math is generally much better, but I'm not quite seeing the relationship in those numbers of yours.

Well, I could tell you, but word problems are fun, so:Given a line with endpoints at -103.6 and 62.8, how many times do you need to cut it to get a whole number of sections 12.8 units long?

Oh... you haven't seen me try to draw straight lines with a mouse' date=' have you :P[/quote']I'll bet you can't be any worse at it than I am.. on the other hand, it has just occurred to me that I don't believe I've ever tried using a ruler (or other "straight edge" ) in conjunction with a mouse before... have you?
Well' date=' I could tell you, but word problems are fun, so:Given a line with endpoints at -103.6 and 62.8, how many times do you need to cut it to get a whole number of sections 12.8 units long?[/quote']So, you're not going to give us the answer then? I mean it has been a whole 19 hours... :wink:

No I can't say I've ever tried to use a ruler to guide a mouse while drawing a straight line. That would be incredibly awkward with my desk setup right now anyway.Would be nice to see the answer to that math problem. I think the part of my brain that once housed coordinate distance math has been taken over by something else.

I agree, it would be awkward for me too, but I had the thought and decided to share it. Maybe that'd be the solution for those of us who can't guide a mouse in a true straight line to save our lives. :shrug:I don't think I've had to deal directly with coordinate math like that since high school, back in the 80s...

Yep, last time I touched it was 1st year college in 1991 or so. LONG since forgotten as it hasn't ever been useful in anything I've done since.

Oddly enough, in college I was dealing with "higher level" math and didn't have to deal with coordinate based stuff at all. It was high school geometry and some of high trigonometry that dealt with that stuff and that was 1986-1987 for me. :shrug:I suppose if I'd gone into architecture, I'd still need it, but I didn't so... :lol:

It's not even coordinate math so much as maybe 8th grade level stuff:((103.6 + 62.8) / 12.8 ) - 1 = 12 is the proper equation.Works like this:103.6 + 62.8 gets you the length of the line. We remove the negative sign from 103.6 (multiply by -1 if we want to be really technical about it), and add the two together because they cross over 0. Had they both been on the same side of the 0 line, we would have subtracted the small one from the big one.Then we divide by 12.8 to get the number of segments total in the line, which turns out to be 13. We're using 12.8 because that's 128 Oblivion units, which is an Important Number.Since we want the number of cuts we need to make and not the number of segments in the line, we subtract 1 from 13 to get 12, because there's one less cut than segment.And that's about as bad as my day gets, right there. But I spend a lot of it doing this sort of math. Thanks, TI-89!No drawing at all, though. Plotting lines, yes. Math, yes. Drawing no. I do need to be able to visualize things, though.

Well the part of my brain that once housed that appears to have also been taken over by something else. :PEither that or I somehow thought you were dealing with a sloped line in 3D space. I do sometimes overthink stuff.

Yeah, I used to know how to deal with that sort of thing. In 1999. If I can remember the Pythagorean theorem, I'm having a good day.Fortunately almost all of what I do is either basic addition/subtraction or some kind of ratio/percent calculation....I guess I'll need to do a tutorial at some point just so people can understand WTF I'm on about. :P

Wanna draw a straight line? Get a drawing tablet. Can use a ruler with them, just make sure it isn't a metal one. Don't want to scratch up the tablet.

Like Samson, somehow I'd assumed you were talking about line/curve plotting math, not just dividing a distance by 12. :facepalm:No, Kayle, that defeats the point, the point was to draw a straight line with a mouse. ;)

I did?Also, a couple now very late in progress WIP shots:AFKMausoleumInteriorWIP11.jpgThat's looking down at the floor, which I think is going to need a certain amount of work, which I will likely elaborate on later if Hanaisse is willing to do a bit more texturing work for me.I think the whole stairs into the floor thing there is way way super awesome.AFKMausoleumInteriorWIP12.jpgThat's looking back up through the whole thing. You can see the roof coffers and that multi-level thing I've got going there, as well as how the basement relates to everything else.I've got a few more structural things to deal with here, including chandeliers and sarcophagi and the like, but I think this is more or less the end of the major stuff, except for the coming glee I'll have with collision.

Illusion. Hanaisse's in-game shot with the normal mapping looked ok, so I didn't go through all the trouble to cut out each one. I could, obviously, but if I don't need to I'm not going to.Obviously if all of this looks like ass in-game, things will change.