• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dwip

• Hana

• Arthmoor

• Conner

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of those textures, let's talk.Before all my PC problems I was learning more about improving normal maps and getting some great advice. For example; look, no more nuclear clothing. (I'm also reworking the infamous blue dress)I'm pretty sure I want to redo those ones, especially the coffers for greater effect. It looks good, but could be better. I also love the randomness of the floor, but think it needs some 'grouted' edges to break it up, or whatever else you feel it needs. So just let me know and if my PC is indeed stable enough, I'd be glad to change it to your liking.

Shiny robe, there.Let us hold off on the coffers for the moment, as they may or may not need some more dramatic color correction surgery as well. Need to see them in-game first, and they're not quite there yet.As far as the floor tiles go, what I think would be of most use to me would be the following:- A 1024x1024 or even 2048x2048 texture with a 2 by 2 tile grid on it. I did that floor you see using the 3 individual textures, and that was a fucking bitch to do. If I had a single texture with 4 different patterns on it, it would help a lot.- Grouted edges in between tiles. You can pretty much see what I'm after by looking at textures/architecture/imperialcity/icwallbuttress07.dds and its normal map. There's a bit of shading around the edges of the texture itself to simulate the indented areas, but then the normal map has a great big bevel in it. Each tile is pretty much going to need to do that.- What may or may not look awesome is to make the very bottom of the grouting edged in bronze the same color as found in icpalacefloor01.dds. A very thin strip of it. Would nicely break up the tiles and look really cool. Then again, maybe not, but I think it would help.- For that matter, I could really use a 512x512 or 1024x1024 texture of nothing but that bronze metal. I've got some ideas incorporating it. If you furthermore wanted to try a version of same texture with an embossed dragon on it, that would just make my day.- I think ultimately what I'm going to need is both a 2x2 grid of the reddish marble, a 2x2 grid of white marble (which may need to be toned down in color a notch to fit better with the reddish marble and with the IC wall textures), and a 1x1 white marble piece or pieces without the beveled normal map or any decoration that I can use to make daises and such with. Still working out how exactly I want to do that.Hopefully that all made sense.

As you wish. PC is feeling pretty stable now. I haven't attempted to add back the other 4G of RAM yet, so you may hear screaming when I do.

You know, Hana, you're getting awfully good at this now... soon Dwip may need to fear that his pupil will outperform the master.. ;)(Great looking robe and door. :biggrin:)

I wouldn't compare her skills to yours on the grand scale stuff like this mausoleum but for some things she's really coming along incredibly. :)

Texturing requires a great deal of artistic talent. I sure as hell don't have it, and I recall Dwip saying his amounts to glorified stick men, so I'm pretty sure we're both very appreciative of people like Hana who are willing to lend their talents to a project.And as for myself I'm also highly appreciative of the Blender Gods among us.

Oops, sorry, that was a tile. At first glance it looked like it was a door and the double gold vertical lines in the middle looked like it's opening. :redface::nod: What Samson said. ;)

Ah, it does kinda look like a door, lol. Could be a good idea too.Thanks for the compliments, guys. While I don't claim to have this artistic talent either I do like to learn and better my skills. My next learning curve is attempting to modify clothing/armour. I have a new robe design in mind for my staff shop. If you hear me screaming that's me fighting with blender.

My next learning curve is attempting to modify clothing/armour.
Well, it's been nice knowing you.

Well' date=' it's been nice knowing you. [/quote']Thanks. Please think good thoughts of me after I go insane.Oh, and the tiles are done, check your email. :)

Well' date=' it's been nice knowing you. [/quote']Thanks. Please think good thoughts of me after I go insane.
Of course we will. :)So, after you go crazy, will you get a slew of cats to retire with so you can be known as the crazy old cat lady? :P

"Wow, why is my email trying to download 22 megs? Oh, I bet Hanaisse is sending me textures."So that bronze dragon looks super awesome, and I'm restraining myself from going to go add it to the wall right now.That having been said, almost but not quite on the tile. To elaborate:RedTile2x2groutsmall and groutsmallbronze are the closest to what I'm after, and a black/white version plz. You can safely ignore the non-grout versions, because I'm not sure I can use them.There's a pretty noticable vertical line in the bottom right area of the top left tile.Slightly fuzzier shading would probably be best.The bronze could possibly use a band of very (emphasis on very) thin darker shading on both sides of it. Maybe not.The bronze grout doesn't appear to be tileable, which is to say the outer ring of grout is the same width as the interior grout, which will lead to double-width grout all over the place.I was hoping for something slightly different wrt the channels in the middle. Something more V-shaped than U-shaped, something a bit deeper. Again, icwallbuttress07_n is pretty much what I'm after there.But I see where we're going here, and it's going to be awesome.

Crap, did not see that line there. That means it's in all of them.Before I make the fixes (I see what you mean about the double grout, I should have checked it myself, sorry) are you absolutely sure you want the small version? I strongly urge you to look at them all on your model. The sheer massiveness of your floor may make the tiles absolutely tiny.

Well, they're all 2048x2048 textures, which is well more than fine, and the main difference is that the small versions have grout around all four sides of each of the four tiles, if you see what I mean.And I wouldn't worry too much about the floor. I'm going to use them to cover 25.6x25.6 BU areas. Whole upper floor is about 5x7 textures like that. Bottom floor's more, but not so bad.

"I'll just go check out some Roman tombstones as inspiration for all the tombs I'm going to need to make for this mod."Well, that was depressing.Also, I could swear that there's a tutorial somewhere for how to pose skeletons and then turn that pose into a static. Damned if I can find it.

I've sort of done that with a pair of frost atronachs. Didn't try to pose the things but I did strip the creature meshes down to statics. Works well enough for my purposes. Probably not useful to you though if you want to avoid having to do a bunch of vert moving in Blender.

Is there a great deal of difference between Roman tombstones and any others aside from the language inscribed upon them? (Assuming one's not going so far back as to examine cairns and catacombs rather than graveyards.)

@Samson - I can already do the frost atronach thing easily enough. Which unfortunately doesn't get me the arms.@Conner - Yeah, there kind of is. Allow me to demonstrate and show off some of my Europe pics at the same time:102_0219.JPG105_0508.JPG103_0333.JPGThe top one is a funeral monument for Gaius Julius Alpinus Classicianus, who as you may guess was an important dude. This one I can pretty much do, except for the texturing.The middle one is a tombstone for some random guy. I can't even touch this.The last one is Assyrian, a guy named Ashurnasirpal II. That one might be doable, except for the fact that all that stuff that looks like pitting and grime above his belt? That's not pitting and grime, that's cuneiform writing. Again, I can't even touch that.It's probably best not to talk about mosaics and how much I wish I could get them in-game.

Well, but not all gravestones were huge and elaborate (rather like those you'd find in much more modern sites), I'm sure you could find, if any survived the ravages of time, gravestones that were far more poorly made for those who couldn't afford better. I guess I do see your point though, if you're looking for stones to populate a Tomb of royalty, it's the elaborate and large ones that would matter. Anyway, with Hana as your willing accomplice (like we have any doubt that she'd be willing) for the texture work, I'll bet you could pull it off the way you'd want it. ...just a thought, is it possible to import an actual picture of one of those real gravestones, like the middle one, to Photoshop and convert it by whatever appropriate means into some sort of model for what you're trying for?