Arthmoor

I need help again...

Patch : 2.0.6 beta start with 2.0.5a save

Yngol Shade become Draugr Death Overlord

The trone has no skeleton with Helm Of Yngol

BRu3WRS.jpg

this is the first time i enter the barrow,

any solution? thanks a lot

Actually we're only looking at 1-2 weeks, and only 2 if something goes wrong. Outside of all the text stuff there wasn't as much as we usually have.

The amount of bugs is getting short even for USKP, eh?

Actually we're only looking at 1-2 weeks, and only 2 if something goes wrong. Outside of all the text stuff there wasn't as much as we usually have.

Noted, I have one more night shift to do and then will have plenty of time to have a revisit to the ones I reported and confirm fixed

I gather the Riften jail button will not be getting a re-look ( The duplicate is still marked as fixed ) ?, I am pretty certain I have nothing that would prevent that working, but after I have checked the latest fixes I will do another game start to have another look there, I am a Riften Jail virgin so that button not working on its first press came as a surprise, and then of course you cant use it again because the fix to use it once kicks in.

Edit : Unless of course it is only supposed to work if you have been thrown in jail, and not just broke into jail, and then the button does not work but still only allows you to click it once ?

Pelt01_n.dds

Pelt02_n.dds

Pelt03_n.dds

Vanilla size for those is 512 x 256, USKP versions are 1024 x 512

Gruftlord will have to confirm, but it may have been necessary to match the normals to the size of the vanilla diffuse on those.

Well if he reduces them while raising normal map steepness to 1.75, using R8G8B8 lossless, there is very little detail degradation, on normal maps thats negligible. I just tried the same for personal use to replace them and bring them back in line for people with minimum spec machines VRAM use.

There are a couple more textures, which also are larger than vanilla size

Architecture \ Windhelm \ whoutwall_n.dds - 1024 x 1024 ( Original 512 x 512 )

Clutter \ Deadanimals \ salmon01.dds - 1024 x 512 ( Original 256 x 128 ) - 4x size difference

The Salmon I agree could have done with upping the res and detail from the horrible original to maybe 512 x 256, but 1024 for something on a plate is unnecessary. Thats the same dimensions as some of the vanilla large creature textures .. for a fish.

I know I bang on about vanilla sizes sometimes, but if people are on a min spec machine, and using mods textures on top of these taking them to the hairy edge of their VRAM limit .. The next update to USKP they install could equal VRAM bottleneck for them, because the latest higher than vanilla res texture addition took them over the limit into a stuttery game.

Here they all are at Vanilla size if you want them, except the salmon which has only gone down to 512 x 256

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86040572/USKP%20206%20textures%20Reduced%20to%20Vanilla%20Size.7z

May I suggest - Put the bigger ones in USKP into Unofficial Hi Res Patch for people with VRAM that can use them.

Don't you think people having min specs computers for a game released in 2011 should be told to upgrade instead? I mean, they are clearly in absolute minority, and the rest shouldn't be kind of forced to use inferior size textures because of them.

Dont you think you are being selfish, there are people who cant go throwing money around on new hardware every few years just for a game.

The USKP ( as with all previous Unofficial patches ) should be staying true to the vanilla game resources as much as possible and specifications.

If you can run higher res, then you can use the Unofficial Hi Res Patch - You are not being limited by people with lower spec machines.

No, I really don't think so. Every few years sounds just about right (and we're not even talking about buying new computer here. I don't do that either.). A card with 512MB VRAM was lowend even in 2011. A half decent card with 2GB VRAM cost maybe €70-100. If someone can't afford to save that in 5 years, he has bigger problems in his life. Or maybe he's a hypocrite (if he was arguing that way, obviously): people usually can afford alcohol, cigarettes, and pubs. If an average guy skips that for a month, he saves a hell lot more than €70 :P

But at the same time, your 2nd argument seems pretty logical. Maybe the hires patch would be more appropriate.

Laptops usually need a new machine, for those gaming on a budget ( typically all the users of my Vanilla Reduced Textures )

Personally what goes in the USKP will not affect me using my mod on my laptop ( and on the family desktop I can run Hi Res ), I speak for poorer community members, and other countries ( people behind the great firewall of China for instance who have to have my mod hosted 'internally' which I gave permission for ) who would probably consider your opinion as a bit decadent, they should not have to turn to another mod on top of USKP to revert the games resources back to the minimum spec. I cant see them needing to do that for a few normal maps to be honest, but I am seeing a trend of people not caring about minimum specifications lately, and people always arguing against the needs of the "minority" because they will lose a tiny bit of detail.

Anyway, seriously have a look at those textures, the majority of them are still bumping as bump maps should, putting the 3D detail into flat textures, the only dodgy one to my mind is the fish diffuse texture ...

.. Reason for my doubt on using that is because that fish is one of those that hang typically on a hunters curing sticks ( or whatever they are called ), and hanging in front of your nose they fill the whole screen. At the resolution I have reduced them to they might not be acceptable, and they only occur rarely in game anyway so are not taking a huge amount of VRAM constantly.

I would still vote for the Higher Res ones going in the Hi Res Patch though.

I think I'll take the middle road here, I agree that upping the resolution on vanilla textures should never be done unless it's truly needed. That would surely go against the scope of the project would it not?

On the other hand, those on low end computers should have little prospect for running mods of any kind especially those who require a reduced texture mod. Remember Oldblivion? It's the same thing. If they can't afford a computer to run the game even at min spec, then they can't afford to run the game. End of discussion.

I run a high end 2 and half year old gaming laptop with a 3gb geforce 560m GTX, I can't use ENBs or very high demanding mods. But I meet the max spec requirement and I'm content with that, I wont try to shoehorn them into my game

Agreed on both points, but anyone who can run the game at minimum spec, should not over time be having to compensate for one mod slowly introducing more and more higher than vanilla resolution textures. Which is what is happening with USKP as pointed out in post #807.

I understand that the team are probably just accepting whatever they are given because people with the knowledge to do such things are few and far between volunteering to do the work gratis, thats why I have provided those textures at the dropbox link also in post #807, so that the higher res ones can move to the appropriate Hi Res patch and not need to be included in the USKP.

I'll have to check the file sizes again, it has been a while since i did those textures. But i know little about color formats and which may be best suited. My graphics card's got 3gig of vram nowadays and it's just not something i needed to inform myself about. So.... i'll have a look at the file size and will compress accordingly if i slipped up on that. But could you post some before and after screenshots for the r8g8b8 format; you made it seem like that would be the better option anyway.

Just starting my night shift so it would have to be tomorrow sometime. Or just grab the dropbox link in post #807 and have a look.

I noticed you shifted the texture position slightly to better align with the diffuse map .. That remains as you did it ( I am guessing that was a big part of the problem with those textures because bumps and troughs would not be matching the diffuse map ).

I did pretty much the same for the archery target in USKP, provided a 1024 x 1024 version for Hi Res Patch, and a reduced 512 x 512 version for USKP to comply with vanilla sizing scheme.

i actually did work with the high res version, and flipped the bump there. then i downscaled it for USKP.

i can confirm, that you are correct, the file size i provided accidentally ended up at double the resolution than what should have been (it is at 1024x512 with 5xx kB when it should be 512x256 at 170 kB). i just halved the resolution for USKP where i should have quartered it (that also means the file in UHRP is correct btw). i guess i should have double checked it the first time, but 1 MB of VRAM just sounded very small to me anyway.

so, once again, you say you did a 1024x512 version of the texture with reduced color depth? then i suggest we go with your version instead of me making a 512x256 one.

as for shifting the map: not sure this is either the flipped normal playing tricks with your eyes, or if this is indeed what happened. sometimes, lower res textures are shifted by one pixel compared to the high res version. i do not know why. but if i do texture work at the high res file and then downscale, i keep the position as is and do not shift that one pixel myself, because at the end of the day, i think the error is at bethesda for shifting that pixel in the first place.

edit: i took a look at your downscaled textures. they are 512x256 as well. i compared to the textures i would get when downscaling with gimp myself. they are way less blurry than yours. i'l upload some textures myself in a few minutes

I think you may need to look at your texture if you are not sure about the alignment shift

Reduce it to 512 x 256, and then open it, and the vanilla original, in two different tabs ( I use G.I.M.P 2.8 with the most recent DDS plugin for that version .. which you can flip between tabs for multiple textures and see any alignment changes quite easily )

When you flick between the two there is a definite shift of the image, something I did not check while I was at home was to load up the diffuse texture aswell and see which one matched alignment the best .. I just assumed that the shift was probably necessary so did not change it.

When you guys work out what needs to be done, we can go from there :P

Oh and the colour format I used was the best way to reduce your texture losing as little detail as possible, it was not important for the final format of the texture ( for any given texture there are a few formats can be used, some more optimal than others, but for detail preservation when working with someone elses textures I go for the best one in that regard ).

@ Arthmoor - Ignore the upload at dropbox for now, I will have a better look at this tomorrow and redo them as necessary if Gruftlord has not done so by then.

Bugging out for now :)

here are my versions of the corrected bump maps:

http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/1321-gruftlords-bump-map-regressions/

i made on version of the downscaled high res file, and one where i just flipped the vanilla file. to me their position looks identical. i think the flipping is playing tricks to your eyes alt3rn1ty.

anyway, i suggest the flipped vanilla version should be used, it looks nicer in dds viewer.

the files look much less jaggy in dds viewer, than yours alt3rn1ty. let me know what you think of them

For some reason I dont seem to have permission to download those files.

But anyway I am sure they will be okay, yours look okay in game, so I dont think the slight image alignment shift will be anything to worry about.

@ Arthmoor I am not going to touch Gruftlords files further ( DDS is lossy so the more meddling the worse the texture gets with each edit ), so I would go with those if you can grab them.

The architecture \ windhelm \ whoutwall_n.dds file grab from my files in post #807

And the salmon .. Frankly looks bad with any reduction when you go look at them on those hunters racks .. Up to you whether to include my reduced version or not

And just put all the ones they replace in USKP in to Hi Res patch if they aren't already.

I put a separate version of the windhelm file into the download as well. The difference between yours and mine there is small though (compared to the pelts), though visible. I couldn't use the more comex compression algorythm because it produced errors. Linear compression worked though and had less artefacts than your version

The salmon i couldn't do better myself.

Yes, that download restrictions suck. Sorry i thought you had download permission

• During Recipe for Disaster (DB08) it was possible to have dialogue end with Anton but not have the script update the quest to unset his essential status and allow you to kill him. (Bug #16809)

Confirmed fixed

L55VHsO.jpg

qPi0LDK.jpg

------------------------------

I went round having a look at the gap fixes I reported noted as fixed, I dont think you need confirmation on those but I would like to say I like the decisions on how to go about fixing them. :) .. Unfortunately while wandering the land I found another one - You'll see it in due course.

Ok. Got the pelts, that Windhelm wall, and the salmon sorted out.

Irritatingly enough, the Windhelm wall and the salmon weren't in the changelog. So they've been documented now based on the file dates to match the likely USKP release they showed up in.

That salmon being that hi-res was intended for the UHRP to fix the missing alpha on the tails, not sure why it ended up in the USKP so I simply resized it down to 512x256 since going vanilla is indeed horribly pixelated.