[RELz/WIPz] Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Arthmoor

I've run my new edge check script against USKP, and discovered a number of serious problems!

How in the heck did "Shalidor's Maze" and "Irkngthand Slave Pens" lose all edge connectivity? I've never seen the CK delete an entire Edge Links table before?!?!

There are a number of other tables that shrank. This is a very unusual condition!

Looks like somebody didn't realize that after Finalize, you sometimes have to re-link all the internal jumps:

http://www.creationkit.com/Navmesh#Dropdowns

Actually "somebody" did realize that finalization removed jump connectors. What "somebody" may or may not have noticed was whether there were any visible in the CK or not to take note of. I didn't see any, and the 9 duplicated navmeshes I reduced to a single triangle each were all on flat level ground so I don't really think there'd be any jump connectors to start with.

You sure your script isn't simply complaining about the 9 navmeshes reduced to stubs? If it is, that's entirely expected and not something I'm willing to undo.

UPP team, can you cast a weary eye over the files in Issue #16035 - For attention of mesh experts, see if they are worthy. Screenshots, method description, and edited meshes included.

D7lS6vv.png

Broken Oar Grotto and Karthspire UV stretching.

Here's Before and after for Broken Oar Grotto

U5y2o5k.png

taYxDPD.png

T9TRQvD.png

I Had a go, what with people with lives to lead, and too much else going on, a pile of meshes already in the works and hex editing malarchy - Just cant get the staff these days so I might aswell do it myself :)

If they are not worthy, I will cease and desist. I haven't caused myself any bad mesh CTDs anyway so I must be doing something right.

Hi, i just get a quest bug again

Quest : The Cursed Tibe - Observe Atub's Ritual

after i gave her the Troll Fat & Deadra Heart, she just standing there and do nothing.... :wallbash:

I have found the solution myself, 1 of the quest npc ID 19E1B leave a distance from Atub, maybe chase bear/goat :shrug:

then i use the console command

prid 19e1b

moveto player

is this consider a bug? :P

I did that entire quest just the other day with no problems at all. I wonder if you have an ini file problem?

Once you've given her the ingredients she should go find Yamarz, who is probably in the hut, then they both come out for the ritual.

UPP team, can you cast a weary eye over the files in Issue #16035 - For attention of mesh experts, see if they are worthy. Screenshots, method description, and edited meshes included.

D7lS6vv.png

Broken Oar Grotto and Karthspire UV stretching.

Here's Before and after for Broken Oar Grotto

U5y2o5k.png

taYxDPD.png

T9TRQvD.png

I Had a go, what with people with lives to lead, and too much else going on, a pile of meshes already in the works and hex editing malarchy - Just cant get the staff these days so I might aswell do it myself :)

If they are not worthy, I will cease and desist. I haven't caused myself any bad mesh CTDs anyway so I must be doing something right.

wow, ugh, that first screenshot is really ugly. and the change to the second one is a pure UV scale by 1.7? that is hard to believe to be honest. (edit: i downloaded the file and lookd at your side by side comparision. could it be that the after picture is also done with a different, high res texture? the structures do indeed not seem to move on closer inspection for the not blurry parts, but their detail and contrast is greatly enhanced between shots)

secondly: i can understand changing the ugly blob, but why with the other part changed, too? it looks fine from the screenshot, at least not worse than much other parts in skyrim (e.g. the ground around the pillar). i think this does start to border on artistic things for that reason, and i personally would prefer just to change the really ugly part. (see edited question above)

edit2: the textures is looping around the pillar, and what is on one side of the UV map blends into what is on the other side of it. with your fix, there will now be a mismatch at that border. changing the UV by a factor of 2 would be the only solution to that.

also: where is that color change coming from? did you light some fire nearby or what happened?

Its purely UV scaling on that part of the mesh. I only use vanilla textures, no hires

Colour change ?

Do you mean the light from the flickering torch which is to the left of the screen ( off screen ) if you stand in that location in the game ?

Go have a look for yourself in game ( unless you are using non-vanilla textures, then things will look different for you ). When you enter Broken Oar Grotto, there will be a couple of bandits on a raised walkway. Just after that as you go up, there is a dirtpath going further up near the cave roof. That is the location, stand near the table, then turn around with the torch on your left.

ok, then i suppose it is just different highlighting of the normal texture, due to the light intensity flicker of the torch. you have to admit, that the stronger normal mapping makes the rocks look sharper in the second image, won't you agree? sorry for the confusion.

btw: in the bug-tracker entry i pointed out, which meshes i think should have their UV scaled by 2.0 instead of 1.7 because of looping (both 02 meshes and the 05 one)

Stronger normal mapping ?

I dont think you understand what has changed here, maybe the following picture will help

The pillar has a floor sticking out of the side of it ( you are standing on top of that bit of floor )

The pillar also cuts into the roof at an angle

So I have put a circle in the relevant part of the pillar which has changed in the in game screenshot

The parts with a square in them has not changed ( that part of the mesh, uses a different vanilla texture, which is already at the correct scale )

Only the circled part of the mesh has had the scale of the UV increased, so that more of that particular texture wraps onto the mesh, making it less stretched and showing more of its original texture detail 

( this is how the other UV edits in USKP are done )

30PhOmy.png

btw: in the bug-tracker entry i pointed out, which meshes i think should have their UV scaled by 2.0 instead of 1.7 because of looping (both 02 meshes and the 05 one)

Ah you do understand :)

This I can believe needs doing, I am not entirely certain I have the scaling on all of them as good as they can be, which is why I ask the UPP team mesh experts to cast an eye on them.

But if you look at the size of the texture in NifSkope UV Editor, some of these meshes if increased to 2.0 become bigger than the texture being wrapped upon them.

So I am reasonably certain that I chose a good balance in this regard.

I am currently looking at another pillar in East Empire Company Warehouse - Solitude, which if you increase to 1.7 it wraps as you say incorrectly ( you can go upstairs from the location and look at the pillar higher up where it starts to look wrong ) .. So I just tried that at 1.5 which looks like it is still stretching a little, not quite so badly as the original, and does not wrap badly.

This particular pillar is also re-used a few times, and 1.5 scale is the best for all occurences that I have seen - So as I understand it there is no definitive ideal rescaling size, it depends how it looks elesewhere too.

I'm holding back on submitting that, or any others, in case they are not suitable in the eyes of the UPP team.

The uv map is already bigger than the texture. Iirc the inner lighter square is the size of the texture, the bigger square is actually 3x3 times the texture. Which is ok, because the textures are made to loop in both directions usually. But if you have a mesh that actually loops itself, you need to make certain the left hamd side of the uv aligns with the right hand side (for the pillars) or up down for other meshes. I.e. scaling by whole numbers. The 1.7 you chose look good to me and have roughly the same density as the other parts, but as i said, it needs to be 2 for some of the meshes.

By strong normals, what i meant was that in the second picture the much closer and stronger torch light enhances the contrast produced by normal mapping massivelly and the rocks look like the texture resolution was increased. But of course ingame with flickering light the effect appears different to the brain than in a static image

Added Issue #16703 - Solitude, East Empire Company Warehouse

After conversing with Hana in Chat, Hana agreed, and decided its best I just point them out due to my machine not being able to handle looking at these also with Bethesda Hi Res textures installed ( I just use extracted vanilla textures to check these occurrences )

------------------

Added Issue #16074 - Sightless Pit

Near the start, water edge does not quite meet the shore

-------------------

Question for the UPP team to decide - If there is a mesh with UV scaling problems with vanilla textures, but it looks okay with Hi res textures .. What would be the best way to approach those ?

I am guessing that a UV rescaled mesh would need to be provided for USKP ( for vanilla textures ), and just include the original mesh in the Unofficial Hi Res Patch to load later and cancel out the rescale ?

Added Issue #16075 - Cragwallow Slope

Rocks this time with bad UV scale. I have seen these in a few places, and how many of the rocks are visible depends on how the nif is positioned, but they are all horrendous.

I honestly think Bethesda chose the wrong diffuse texture entirely for these rocks.

Added Issue #16090 - UV Scaling - Rocks - Wolfskull Cave

EDIT: If anyone is wondering - As I go along through the game finding these, I am keeping the previous finds scaled mesh and vanilla texture installed as loose files, so as to prevent reporting the same issue elsewhere in the game which will be cured with the same mesh fix.

This way, anything I have seen, and is already done in the USKP ( installed ), I will not be duplicating.

Added #16098

A Night To Remember

Ysolda has the option "Here's the Ring" immediately following her forced greet topics. Shouldn't this option be limited to having obtained the ring first?

I've checked all my active mods in TES5Edit and as far as I can tell only the USKP modifies anything with regards to the DA14 quest.

Thanks for these, we'll get to them as we can.

In future, there's no need to post them in the thread. The tracker gets checked regularly and all posting here is going to do is fill up the thread with stuff that's better off on the tracker.

Okay, also I just noticed the Placed References as opposed to meshes on a couple of mine, understood. I placed them in meshes because I imagined the mesh would have to be manipulated one way or another, and Placed References on a cursory glance across the classifications didn't leap out at me as being relevant  :redface:

Noted for future finds.

Question for the UPP team to decide - If there is a mesh with UV scaling problems with vanilla textures, but it looks okay with Hi res textures .. What would be the best way to approach those ?

I am guessing that a UV rescaled mesh would need to be provided for USKP ( for vanilla textures ), and just include the original mesh in the Unofficial Hi Res Patch to load later and cancel out the rescale ?

Just to note here, if they look fine with the HiRes textures, we won't be changing it at all, or may have to adjust accordingly.

• The generic WEThiefTemplate actor needed to be brought down one confidence level due to the intimidation option always failing. (Bug #14876)

From USKP 2.0.4

Unfortunately now all random thief encounters are 100% successful on intimidation.  Is there any way this can be tweaked to not be a sudden jump from 100% fail to 100% success? 

Unfortunately not. The issue is well documented here: http://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/3927-npc-persuadeintimidate-list/

Either we notch some things down a step, or intimidate is rendered nearly useless. There are no settings to make things more subtle. It's kind of like the pickpocket thing. Either wildly broken (vanilla) or on the verge of an exploit (USKP).

Whatever it is Bethesda did we're limited in how we can respond to it.

Arthmoor, would you agree to look into the closed 15899 entry again ? There is really a problem with Ahtar, and I think it's maybe related to the fixed 1456 bug.

Every time I rent a room in The Winking Skeever in the evening, and I mean every time, Ahtar is in the room, eating his meal. At midnight sharp, I suppose that his schedule kicks in because he slowly starts to leave the room.

According to your answer to my report, I understand that you cannot "exclude" the rentable room from the locations usable by the npcs. But could you modify Ahtar's schedule, making him stop eating and start going to his sleep location, at 10 pm for example ?

That way he would never be in the rentable room at 11 pm or midnight. Because I can assure you that it's really very annoying for a RP player like me who wants to make his character going to bed before midnight.  :P

I would be very grateful !  :unworthy:

Best we can do there is to cut the radius on his package so he'll use the bench the package is assigned to. The actual times are not a bug and messing with them wouldn't work anyway as his schedule doesn't have room for any changes.

Just to note here, if they look fine with the HiRes textures, we won't be changing it at all, or may have to adjust accordingly.

Understood, I am used to running with crap textures anyway being on a minimum spec machine .. Thats why some of these UV stretching problems stand out like the bulldogs proverbials for me. I cannot install Hi Res else my laptop would go into meltdown.

I was going to start reporting what I thought was potentially another problem yesterday .. Fortunately I thought on to have a look at High Texture setting first with the same vanilla texture installed.

You will realise why I say fortunately when I mention the texture involved = dirtcliffs01.dds ( included on all of those uniquely made roadside cliff islands with roots dangling down, and in caves, and at the edge of rivers etc etc ..

.. my list of RefIDs was growing huge until I had a face palm moment ( I hasten to add I have not made the same mistake in all previous reports )  :redface:

Edit : Further explanation - Initially I find these UV scaling problems because I have my Vanilla Reduced Textures bsa installed, when I find what I think is a UV scale problem, I first install the extracted vanilla texture as a loose file ( to ensure its not just my textures ), then I start taking screenshots of the problem with the vanilla texture installed ^^ In the above case I missed installing the vanilla texture, which is actually not too bad and in this case my VRT texture made it look like a slight UV problem.

From 2.0.1

000d1677: Wolf not coupled to the enable parent for its encounter. (Bug #14528)

This apparently causes the wolf to appear when the gate is unlocked rather than already being inside the gate.  I believe the enable parent that the USKP ties it to is the one for the two trappers that are spawned when the gate is open.  The wolf should spawn normally and be inside the cage on approach otherwise the entire encounter makes no sense.

This needs to be revisited. I read the tracker report.  I think it would be better to have the base actors for the trappers set to respawn.  POILvlTrapperHostile01 and POILvlTrapperHostile02 are both only used in this scenario.