Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Morrowind was no better on that. Yes' date=' the tutorial was shorter, but that didn't stop it from being annoying as hell. Plus, you couldn't save until it was over, so you had to go through the whole thing again if you wanted to make a new character. Every time.

Starting in Oblivion, you actually did have an option to skip the tutorial. Play through it once, then save at the very end where character revision takes place. Then every time you want to start a new character, you load up that save, and have a quick-start point.

I doubt Skyrim will be any different, since every single BGS game from Morrowind onwards had a forced tutorial, though it will assuredly follow the pattern set in Oblivion, so that will help to minimize the issues. At least until load orders start to get really big. And by that time, we will probably have alternative start mods out anyways.[/quote']I think you are right TK. And the tutorials in both games do get very annoying.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Pro-tip for Bethesda: next time, DON'T tell us the title of the hero.I swear, if I see one more Dovahkiin rip-off username... :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

And good trolls will be good: http://www.lexmirnov.ru/2011/10/skyrim-map-leaked-in-english.html

No real spoilers there as much of that was already visible in the CE preorder images.

I count what could be nine seperate cities/city-states based on named towns with banners and seven other marked settlements. Assuming we get the tiny villages/inns of Oblivion as well in some number that will be quite a lot of habitation.

New press too. One of many actually, but this passage caught my eye:
Preoccupied with the underwater fishing, I don't notice the rapids until I'm in them, getting pushed up above the waterline and then over an edge and down a short fall. I push my character out of the water and back to land.
I shed a tear of joy at this news. Rivers with currents. Oh my.

Well, they're finally here. Skyrim PC specs:Recommended Specs[ul][li]Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)[/li][li]Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU[/li][li]4GB System RAM[/li][li]6GB free HDD space[/li][li]DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).[/li][li]DirectX compatible sound card[/li][li]Internet access for Steam activation[/li][/ul]Minimum Specs[ul][li]Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)[/li][li]Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor[/li][li]2GB System RAM[/li][li]6GB free HDD Space[/li][li]Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM[/li][li]DirectX compatible sound card[/li][li]Internet access for Steam activation[/li][/ul]Get those beasts ready!

Good thing I just bought all that RAM. Too bad my video card is ever so slightly below the recommended spec. We'll see how that goes.

The 4GB of RAM recommendation is interesting to me. A Windows 32 bit process cannot access that much memory without the LAA patch which makes me wonder if it's coming preset that way.Oh, and apparently the recommendations are only good enough to hit "high" settings. You need rigs like mine to hit "ultra". Now that I can't wait to see.

Well, I don't think I'll hit ultra myself, but I'm sure I'll cope just fine with high.EDIT: Acutally, another interesting thing, Pete has commented that the console settings are the 'low' settings on PC. Which may indicate that they are making more of an effort for us PC gamers than first thought.

BTW, who's seen the

?Its surprisingly good, though a bit or racial diversity on the peasants would've been nice. Also, wtf is that guy falling from a building for.

I think both my laptop and my son's laptop meet the minimum requirements. They don't meet the recommended ones though. I do get sick of having to go through obsolescence.

It's just not a proper Bethesda game if I'm not upgrading my computer for it. Unfortunately, the only particularly important upgrade I could give it would be a way better graphics card, and those don't come cheap.Trailer was pretty cool.

Ok, so people are live streaming themselves playing Skyrim now. Being my typical weak-willed self I couldn't help but watch one. I won't reveal anything that could be considered spoilerish (but I'll keep it in spoiler tabs anyway), but I can give a few thoughts.

-Dialogue is awkward sounding. Apparently Beth hasn't been investing to much in the writing department. It didn't help the story to feel inspired either.-The lighting is a bit weird on the 360 and the textures seem fairly low-res. But I doubt those two things will be a problem on the PC.-New Character models are tops.-The settlements are well designed from what I saw, but still feel a little bit uninspired. I like the ones in Nehrim more.-The UI is horrible.-Still some graphical glitches-The environment is more interesting than Oblivions, but it looks like there is very much space for UL's here. Same goes for the cities, although they are definitely larger this time around.-The crime and punishment system has definitely been improved

Oh, and this one is an actual spoiler, although it has been mentioned on the Beth forums already.

A certain, untruthful cat makes his return. Evidently the guy playing was unfamiliar with the series though because he didn't stop for a chat. Idiot.

Not gonna read those. As folks on the Skyrim forum were saying the other day, it's time to go dark because of assholes leaking footage of stuff now. Some dickhead leaked 35 minutes of the game starting from the opening credits. It's also probably safe to say it's been pirated by now too.

I heard that the Xbox 360 version was leaked. Presumably any pirated PC version would be rendered useless due to the Steam lock however. And as much as I dislike Steam, I suppose it actually does work well for the gaming company like that.

My understanding is that you CAN crack through the Steam DRM, but given the Steam integration it's a less than optimal experience.And as to the other, I think I can wait 9 more days.Also, 9 days to Skyrim. Holy shit.

I am quite satisfied with the fact that I will be installing Skyrim on my computer on the 11/11/11 at roughly the same time the midnight releases will be happening in your neck of the world. Well, assuming it isn't sold out before I get back from school.

Actually with the right people behind a cracked version, the gaming experience can be 10x better because it isn't having to deal with Steam's background lag and nefarious tracking activities. Plus the obvious benefit of not needing the Steam client.Yes, there are downsides to piracy too. Not the least of which is that you could replace one piece of malware with a much more dangerous piece of malware since my understanding is that most Steam cracks involve replacing the DLL file it uses to communicate with the internet.As much as I utterly despise the idea of having to use it, I'll bite the bullet and suffer with it. But it will be the last Bethesda game I ever buy again, even if it's TES VI 5 years from now. Not even going to waste the time on Fallout 4 if Steamworks is involved in any way.

I know that I feel stupider for reading even a single page of that thread, is what I know.Also, I'm going to be amused when Steam doesn't cause the downfall of Western civilization. Or lag, for that matter.

Well, that was certainly an interesting thread. You watch though. Nearly all of the people who decided it would be fun to flex and insult modders will be begging for mods by the end of the month.And yeah, I think that's pretty cool that out of all the stuff that guy could have chosen for an example, he picked mine :)Downfall of Western Civilization? What are you, an OWS protester now? Eventual downfall of PC Gaming though, yes. Every day I hear and read it - more and more people exiting the arena because of draconian systems like Steam and Origin.

Well, I can't honestly say that I have ever experienced steam related lag nor seen any signs that it has an impact on the performance of my games. It does bother me though because I find it buggy and annoying, sometimes slow to respond, and, yes, will not going into offline mod without going online first. So much for playing Crysis on a nice big Plasma Screen TV for me.