Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Well, mine is now "shipping soon", which if the release day part is true means they're overnighting it? Which seems odd, and kind of expensive for them, but...What I think it actually means is I'm not playing Skyrim this weekend, but we can hope.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

I see the PC support forums on Bethesda's site is filled with people complaining about the UI, saying that it's really difficult to use with mouse and keyboard. I know tech support forums aren't a good place to get a representative sample (as the people who aren't having problems will be playing the game) but it kind of makes me afraid this is just going to be an Xbox360 port.

... but it kind of makes me afraid this is just going to be an Xbox360 port.
I'm not really sure what people expected, because Todd Howard said right up front that they developed Skyrim for the 360 as the primary platform and that it was backported to the PC. I'm sure that comes with all the wonderful quirks we've grown to love (re: hate) about Gamebryo and the UI.For some values of UI hate anyway, since I was never all that unhappy with the PC interface for Oblivion. Except the HUD.

Truthfully, I never really minded the PC interface for Oblivion/Fallout 3, either. I guess I should reserve judgement until I've actually tried out the game myself.

I' too, shall reserve judgement on the UI, but it is still not good to hear people scathing it into the ground on day one.And now we have people complaining about texture quality, too.Or rather, bad textures with the game maxed out.Seems like the normal Bethesda texture bullshit, really. Most of the stuff looks fine, but there's always this one thing on screen with horribly low-res textures muddying the scene. But what throws me for a loop was I thought Bethesda said the texture resolution would be higher on PC? Looks like that was just a flat-out lie, because the texture resolutions look identical to Fallout 3 to my eyes. Not good enough.Either that or this is a bug. I sure hope the latter is true.Guess we'll need to wait for texture-makers to come along to actually get what Bethesda said they would give us. Oh well.Also, it turns out I was right to worry about the rain/snow clipping, because despite everything, it seems to have found a way back in. I guess a decade of work on their game engine was not enough to fix things up there?

I'm reserving judgment on claims of ugly textures given I have already seen ultra-res PC textures and they look KICK ASS. Perhaps my software pirating friend is benefiting from his illegal ways. It wouldn't be the first time DRM has interfered with proper operation of a PC game.BTW, Hana, some regions of the world have been unlocked and able to play now for 2 hours. It's not inconceivable that the poster has already done so, although his post's timestamp strains credibility.

Yep, sort of figured. If you read through the thread, it's sort of clear that the "Ultra" option in the menus isn't setting everything automatically. Just check the details, because that's typical behavior for a lot of games these days. Even Witcher 2 had to be manually coaxed into ACTUALLY setting up the Ultra mode.

And here we go with CURSE. It isn't being received very well over at BethSoft forums. Sheesh anyone who thinks they can combine the features of BOSS, WRYE, OBSE and all those others tools into a one click button program has more than a few screws loose.

Scheduled Delivery: Friday, 11/11/2011, by 3:00 P.M.(by end of day for residential deliveries)
Oh baby, looking good :)

Turns out only the launcher of Skyrim is Steam-protected' date=' running the game executable (TESV.exe) itself is possible without even having Steam running. I somehow think this wasn't intentional [img']http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/lmao.gif[/img]
I am going to laugh my ass off at this if it's even remotely true, because I will definitely be attempting this now once my copy has arrived. If true, what a glorious fuckup. If intentional, Bethesda are gods for doing it.

Not unlike the pie in the sky dreams NMM has you realize :P
Yeah, but at least DarkOne isn't claiming that their's is ready to go, up and running as it were.

And we all know how strictly people adhere to EULA's, right? :P Besides, I'll wager Steam will allow you to install it on as many PCs as you want. In my case it doesn't matter because I've only got one to install it to.

Well, its running and all good for me at the moment. Accept for heaps of texture pop-ins during the tutorial, as well as random lag and enemies becoming transparent. But once I got out of there everything was good.Oh yes, and I love the new magic. GZAP!

And we all know how strictly people adhere to EULA's' date=' right? :P Besides, I'll wager Steam will allow you to install it on as many PCs as you want. In my case it doesn't matter because I've only got one to install it to.[/quote']Yep. Putting it on the desk top now. Already have it on my lap top and even testing BOSS for Skyrim. Gonna work on seeing about starting while offline from Steam later, don't want to interfere with son's playtime if I mess that up.

Confirmed running the TESV.exe bypasses Steam.Also see lots of extra shit it installs - Visual C stuff, DotNetFX, and DirectX10, plus an extra SkyrimPrefs.ini for graphics.Enjoy your game, people. :)

Just came back from a first impressions test. Defaulted the game settings to High and then tweaked things as high as I felt I could go. First thing:The game's native anti-aliasing MURDERS performance. I had it set to 4 samples and was lagging all over the place. but when I turned it off, performance improved astronomically. Do not use it. Either use GPU override AA or FXAA.Other than that, the game massively under-estimated my 8800GT. Even with settings cranked up (and native AA turned off), performance is silky smooth with LOD detail at Ultra, Shadows at Ultra, and so on. Good stuff so far. :)Welcome to the Bitter NorthOh, and yes, I double-confirm that a direct-from-EXE launch bypasses Steam. So at least we really can ignore it once we get the game installed. Thanks for hearing our concerns, Beth.

Ontario, CA, United States 11/11/2011 7:31 A.M. Out For Delivery
I can almost taste it....Also, Thomas, I would strongly suggest you make a copy of that TESV.EXE file and keep it somewhere safe. I'm not 100% convinced yet that it was intentional on their part to allow a total bypass of Steam.