Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Arthmoor

Heads up - If your Windows audio output is set above 48000Hz, your game will die at the opening menu. Fucking sound, how does it work?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

What the hell?After an hour's gameplay, Skyrim's performance tanked big time. One quit-to-desktop and reload later, all better.Seriously? :headbang:Might end up waiting for nVidia to release a mainstream driver update for Skyrim. I don't feel comfortable using beta drivers.

There's already a mod available to disable those finishing moves.Hallelujah (and in the future the author hopes to be able to change it to only disable the third person ones, which is even better).

Another performance top-tip: Ultra quality shadows is another killer.Go with high, the difference is negligible and does not murder the frames.

I started the game by using the exe file. When I finished the session, I found Steam running in the back ground even though it was closed and I was logged off when I started playing. I don't think Steam gets bypassed.

Actually it does, but the ultimate confirmation would be to uninstall Steam completely. That seems risk though.In any case, when I launched Skyrim and played for an hour before going to eat, it never once touched the Steam executable. I checked task manager before quitting the session. BTW, don't alt-tab if you expect to resume play. Skyrim hates it.

Aaaaaand the first crash.Almost got shot dead in the start dungeon from admiring the water? That would be me.Console UI - continuing to suck the good suck.

Actually it does' date=' but the ultimate confirmation would be to uninstall Steam completely. That seems risk though.In any case, when I launched Skyrim and played for an hour before going to eat, it never once touched the Steam executable. I checked task manager before quitting the session. BTW, don't alt-tab if you expect to resume play. Skyrim hates it.[/quote']Further confirmed. Started the game without Steam running direct-from-EXE, left about two hours later, checked my tray, Steam wasn't there.So yes, this is a true-to-God Steam bypass. :wink:

Hey Dwip, you can easily confirm this. I've gotten word that New Vegas can be launched in the same manner by shortcutting the EXE for that. Wanna give that a try and let us know? If that works then surely this was no accident as this would be the 3rd game in a row they've provided a DRM bypass for.@Hana: It's my understanding that NVSE bypasses the launcher, as did FOSE for Fallout 3, and obviously OBSE bypasses it as well. No reason to suspect Skyrim to be any different.

Just tested NV, and the answer is no. Launching direct-from-EXE force-loaded Steam and redirected me back to the Launcher. Tried a shortcut, and I was redirected to the launcher again, which promptly crashed.

If anyone has problems with how Skyrim handles the mouse sensitivity settings, add these to your SkyrimPrefs.INI under the Controls entry:fMouseHeadingYScale=0.0500fMouseHeadingXScale=0.0500Change the numbers to whatever feels best for you. This gives you full control over the X and Y sensitivity of the mouse (the game's sensitivity slider doesn't do Y sensitivity very well).

I am disturbed by the existance of a slaughtering bunnies tracked stat.I am also posting from my phone, as some part of my computer decided death was a good idea just after the climactic spider battle. Hope I saved.[edit] Fortunately, it was only heat death. However, what.

You mean if I had killed that rabbit I'd get a misc stat for it? Oh, the joy! Now I wish I hadn't missed :P

Ooh, so the game counted those rabbits I annihilated with a sustained blast of lightning the moment I got out of the tutorial. btw Dwip, if you don't like rabbits being killed, don't come to Australia. They're like plague over here and generally look best down the scope of a rifle.

Rabbit slaying aside, I'm enjoying things so far. Yes, that included the obligatory trip to Riverwood and the Bleak Falls Barrow. Holy shit though, leveling sure is fast. I'm just about to crack level 6 just from the dungeon and killing some bandits on the way to the village.

I saw Bleak Falls Barrow and ran like hell in the opposite direction. I found some place with a corrupt Jearl and map marking out all the military sites across the country.

I just cracked level 7. With a couple of exceptions, I've been mainlining plot. Dragon shouts are sweet, though the road you take to learning them is friggin' LONG.Time to go do a bunch of sidequests. And stare in awe at rivers some more.[edit] Oh, for the record, my two-handed axe-wielding orc? Monstrous slayer of man and beast.Samson's Argonian may be even more scary than my orc.