• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Thomas Kaira

• prettyfly

Speaking of the College of Winterhold' date=' it was home to my first quest breakdown in the game:

After listening to Tolfdir's lecture and getting to the part where I must defend myself from a spell he casts, Tolfdir failed to cast the spell. He is now refusing to do it again, and the quest is broken because I need to deflect that fireball he now refuses to cast with my Ward in order to finish the lecture.

I've just checked the IDs on UESP and was able to successfully force the quest progression to where it should have been if it did not break. SetStage and StartQuest console commands appear to be intact.[/quote']I had that happen too. Gave up on that character anyway, but will try it again.

You know, it's not very often that anything, much less a video game, stuns me into incomprehensibility. But Blackreach has done that thing. I don't think I've ever spent such a prolonged time with my mouth hanging wide open making sounds approximating whathowholyshitwhatidontevenhowisthishappeninghowdoesthisexistwhaticantevenabuhhhhhI'm seriously taking a break right now because I can't even comprehend the magnitude of what I just spent the last couple hours experiencing, and I don't think I'm even half done yet. I'd post screenshots, but those can't even convey a little bit of what's going on.Still pretty slack-jawed about the thing. Have I ever been this stunned by a game? I don't know that I have. I'm aware of the concepts that led to Blackreach, to be sure, but the actual physical construction of the thing is mind destroying. We couldn't even dream on this scale not long ago.

Wanted, Dead or Alive by the Jarl of Markarth: One thieving murderous Argonain known only as Sslaa. Rumored to be the Dragonborn himself. Bounty payable upon capture or death.Yep, I've been a bad bad lizard. The guards of The Reach want my head on a pike. This is all Mercer's fault.

Some INI tweaks for your Skyrim.INI:

[MapMenu]fMapWorldMaxPitch=360.0000fMapWorldMinPitch=0.0000fMapWorldYawRange=3600.0000fMapWorldMaxHeight=130000.0000fMapWorldMinHeight=130.0000fMapWorldCursorMoveArea=0.9000fMapWorldHeightAdjustmentForce=100.0000fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.0500fMapLookMouseSpeed=3.0000fMapMoveKeyboardSpeed=0.0005fMapZoomMouseSpeed=5.0000sMapCloudNIF=0

Enjoy your new-found freedom in the game's map.

I had that happen too. Gave up on that character anyway' date=' but will try it again. [/quote']Guess I got lucky then, because it worked for me. (a lot of people on the beth forums however, seem to believe that if it works for them it works for everybody even if they claim it hasn't)

I know, right?@Samson - Fortunately, you can escape them on your steel horse!@ThomasKaira - It's astonishing how much better the map gets with just the cloud tweak, too.@Random - Amusingly, I have 17 different screenshots of Blackreach, none of which I'm going to show off, because either the reveal would be a monstrous spoiler, or you've been there and already know what I'm going to show you. Place is amazing.The epic cutscene glitching out wasn't so amusing, but nothing a simple reload didn't fix. Gotta love AI bugs.

Yes, I've only just been told of Blackreach and already I want to go there based on what I read. Who wouldn't? By the Gods, I have so many quests on the books it's insane!

Dudes, I just read a little article that informed me that, no, you should not use AA and FXAA (prefer FXAA) and yes, you can bind favorites to number keys (just hover over the favorite and push the key -- use shift+number to bind it to right hand for DW purposes).http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1212293p1.html

Yeah, I stumbled over the bit with assigning numbers to the favorites tab. I didn't know about shift+number though.One thing to be aware of. If you should turn off VSync, this apparently can hose up your game's internal clock. A user on the official forum reports that his game now thinks 10am is midnight, and this only began happening once forcing Vsync off via the ini.

Yeah. I pretty much never disable VSync. I'd rather play at lower settings.Now I just need a mod that disable the slow-mo 3P kills that works. There's an .esm, but it's not recognized by the loader for whatever reason. I'm not fucking around with a mod loader tool already. ~_~

Said user happens to be standing right here. :tongue:I've already restarted, same playstyle, but a Bosmer this time. I've also taken some compensation for the V-Sync being back on, including switching off MSAA for FXAA and reducing shadow draw distances a bit. Also brought the FPS limit down from 60 to 45. That got things smoothed out again.

Ah. I wasn't paying especially great attention to who posted it :PI guess that's why we didn't get the option this time around. Normally I turn it off because I don't like having my frame rates artificially capped with no real benefit. OSR gave us alternative memory heaps and it's frame capper released captive resources for the AI. I suppose in Skyrim's case that benefit will be a game that's not fubar :P

Meanwhile, an internal monologue:Me: "Man, I really need to get those last 20 points in Enchant so I can maybe hit level 50 before I beat the game. But in order to do that, I'm going to need a lot more souls to stick into the 70+ soul gems I'm carrying around. What to do, what to do. Maybe wildlife."Me: *runs down some deer and soul traps them*Me: "Souls! I must have more souls!"Me: *ponders nearby chicken*Chicken: *continues to peck at the dirt*Me: *turns, casts soul trap on chicken*Chicken: *cluck!*soultrapchicken.jpg

btw, Dwip, I killed eight bunnies while trekking to Windhelm today. Hope it doesn't upset you or anything. And I ate them afterwards.

You're seriously that close to beating the game already?
It didn't take me more than maybe 36 hours of playing to finsh the MQ, and that was with doing all of the Companions quests and all of the Windhelm quests. Well, almost all of the Companions quests. I found out there are a few more you can get from Aela after you become the harbinger.

I am 76 hours in at this point. Level 45, and I don't think I'll be making 50, because that would take for god damned ever grinding skills. Although I guess I could do the thing where I smith myself some epic light armor and go stand around and let bandits wail on me for an hour. Still, a lot of effort for an achievement.@prettyfly - I hope you get eaten by bears. Foul bunny-slayer. We shall have our revenge!

Bethesda, you can go die in a fire for this vsync bug. Thanks for fucking up my calendar so that the day change happens at 8am instead of midnight. All because I've had vsync turned off at the driver level for ages and paid it no mind until this whole mess came up.Considering the quest I'm on is time dependent it's probably already fucked over, along with the last one I was on that caused me to lose a bonus in the DB quest line.

I'm about to give up on trying to figure out this stupid-ass shadow-stairstepping on the walls bullshit. Every time the shadows update, every single lit wall shimmers in a headache-inducing fashion because of some stupid shadow-artifacts that shouldn't be there.I'm thinking about just giving the exterior shadows the finger and forcing them off. They suck. They suck so so bad.

That's the issue I'm talking about. Tell me you wouldn't need an aspirin after having that happen in your face for two friggin hours.

That v-sync thing does seem a little bush league.So, actually took the hour or so to stand there and let a stormcloak captain whack on me to get level 50. Then I went and beat the game. It was suitably epic.Couple things about that.First, you know what my very first act as the savior of the world was?deadtalospriest.jpgAnd when you're the Thane, the guards don't even grief you about it. Should have done that ages ago.Second, supposing you're worried about the end fight. You say to yourself "Man, orcish was like, three whole armor tiers ago! And my enchantments all suck!" So maybe you max out smithing and enchanting:galgrogorathdaedric.jpgHere's the Last Orcish Orc in the Last Homely House. Full legendary daedric except my dragon priest mask whose benefits are too good to ditch. Only thing I didn't make was the mask. I don't remember my armor rating offhand, but something over 500, pretty sure. The axe by itself does 275 damage at the end of the day.But then you add the enchantments, and lest you thought they nerfed enchantment, oh no. Oh no they did not. Behold, the results of a full perk tree:Legendary Daedric Armor: +31% health regen, +62 healthMagic Necklace: +31% health regen, +40% two-handed damageLegendary Daedric Boots: +46% frost resistance, +40% two-handed damageLegendary Daedric Gauntlets: +40% two-handed damage, +40% lockpickingOtar: +30% fire/frost/shock resistanceMagic Ring: +40% two-handed damage, +31% health regenerationCombines to:Health Regen: +93%Health +62Two-Handed Damage: +160%Frost Resistance: +76%Fire Resistance: +30%Shock Resistance: +30%Lockpicking Chance: +40%Yeah, that two enchantments on the same item thing? Way OP. Although, as it turned out, I could have gone with nothing but two-handed damage - I killed everyone in the entire final dungeon in between 1-3 hits. Crafting is pretty damn world-ending.I'll do a real review at some point.

Arthmoor: as an experiment, try doing this: fix your game time if you can, and then open an elevated command prompt window, type bcdedit /set useplatformclock true, and restart.Someone has come around saying that this might be a timing issue based on Windows 7 handling time measurement in a way Skyrim doesn't like much. That command prompt tells Windows to revert to the old method of time measurement and _might_ fix the timing problems in-game.However, we've also just had a PS3 player waltz into the thread and say that his game time had become de-synchronized, too. This might be a global problem. I'm going to go poll the other boards about this and see what's what.