Giskard and False Accusations

Arthmoor

• 3 weeks later...
[url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/showthread.php?644-Beware-of-BOSS!]ARGH! SAMSON! SAMSON! THEY'RE ON TO YOU![/url]

Joke's on him. OMG has the same notice, and further, if you don't clean it OMG will crash the game. Period. That's fact, verified countless times. In fact I'll bet you that if some bored soul were to go download all his mods and check them, they'd all require the same notice. In fact, I'd bet many are already labeled as needing it and he's just telling a bald faced lie to his [s]cult[/s] membership. The ones that haven't been probably should be. Fortunately he's not a project contributor to BOSS and it's firmly in the hands of actual experts who know what they're doing. That smug looking creature he uses for an avatar is really quite fitting btw. Has exactly the air of closed-minded elitism that suits him so well. Also note how he says he's never had any problem with "most" of the DLCs - reason being is that most of them aren't a dirty mess. His stuff though, well, I think I probably covered it all in the OP but I guess I can go dig up his stuff again (I kept copies - neener neener Doombuggie) and see how bad off they all are.

I agree; sucks to be them. Cleaning my mods was a major part of achieving stability on my install (alongside bringing the spawn rates on my MMM/OOO install down to a manageable level). Doesn't one of the DLC's cause problems with the mystic emporium? Don't you love the way his sig says 'The secret is to keep it simples'. Take that as a metaphor for the way he mods and its not hard to see why his mods have so many problems. Perhaps you could have a list of dirty edits and deleted references in each of his mods on display for everyone, though it might not be worth the bother, considering he's virtually unknown in the Oblivion community these days and all it'd do is cause him to go back on the rant again.

Not too worried about it. BOSS is getting updated warnings and needed Bash tags now that he's drawn awareness to the issue. He can rant all he likes, but everything that's being added is 100% verifiable, and he's not going to sway anyone who know their stuff if he comes out yelling about how his "special" method of cleaning works better than the known method. Because so far it's been pretty obvious that his methods don't work at all. Because of what you point out in his sigpic :P Modding TES games isn't something you can do haphazardly for very long. I probably should have recorded the ITM and UDR counts for Thomas' thread, oh well. Didn't think about it and I'm not going back to do all that again.

[quote]OMG has the same notice, and further, if you don't clean it OMG will crash the game. Period. That's fact, verified countless times. [/quote] In fairness, it didn't crash my game one time when I played it; crashed for a lot of other reasons...like just plain running out of memory. Of course, I do Bash and OMOD and BOSS and a shit load of the resources end up in the patch. [quote]Also note how he says he's never had any problem with "most" of the DLCs -[/quote] Since the DLC's are "official content", I would consider any mod that conflicts with them to be "dirty", not the other way. [quote]Doesn't one of the DLC's cause problems with the mystic emporium? [/quote] Yes, but only if you play both Frostcrag and Battlehorn; and there's a patch to resolve the issue. I don't remember off hand which one of my umpteen patches it is though. The only thing about the warnings in BOSS, is that those in control of it should put some sort of distinction between a minor conflict that only someone staring at TES4EDIT would know about, and game-breaking bullshit.

OMG has crashed numerous peoples' games due to some weird deletion he did in one of the AU areas. Cleaning it resolved the problem 100%. The DLCs may be official content, but check them. You'll find they're filled with the same piles of CS dirt as any other mod. ITM records don't suddenly become inviolate just because Bethesda didn't clean up after they were done. Some of the deletions in KOTN are known to destabilize the game too, so it's only prudent to fix it. The conflict between Frostcrag and Battlehorn is a wild edit. Fixing it is as simple as removing the wild edit. There isn't any need for an actual patch unless you're overly paranoid about not wanting to clean a DLC. The labeling in BOSS only deals with the results of automated cleaning. The stuff that only a TES4Edit guru would know about isn't covered there because most players don't know what to look for. There are a few mods in BOSS that carry an additional note if further action is needed to undo something damaging.

There is a problem if you play OMG and Midas Magick at the same time. Midas eventually came up with a work-a-round for it.

That would have to be a separate issue unless the workaround was to move OMG further down in the load order.

I think OMG ends up further down the load order anyway; but Midas added a feature so you could get to two different places through the same door. IDK if it was "specifically" for OMG, but it worked out that way. There was another AU mod that it seriously screwed over, as well, but as this (or at least parts of it) is/was included in BC-I suspect it was "on purpose". There's a patch for that, too-although I can't verify it actually works, as I've never run both at the same time.

Wouldn't surprise me if Giskard planted something like that in there on purpose. He's bragged about using his mods as a means of sabotage before.

Actually, it would have been funnier if it was Reigning Cows! (i.e. all the nobels were retextured as cattle)

That would be incredibly funny. Need some commoners redone as pigs too, because all nobles need people to call swines!

Oh no, I appear to have angered the great god himself, in a rather terse email (may or may not actually be him): [quote]Cease and desist your slander against my work at once or I will be forced to take legal action against you.[/quote] Doesn't this mean I'm in elite company now?

Considering we're doing this in the back corner of your forum and generally being fairly quiet about it and certainly not doing anything thats obvious for the greater Oblivion community to see, much less doing anything whatsoever to bother him and his cultists, I don't see how he's got any real substance against you. Not that he ever had anything in the first place. :tongue: For all events and purposes we're leaving him alone in his obscure corner of the modding community and just having the occasional and fairly private laugh. The only person who has the power to make a scene out of it right now is Giskard, should he choose to. [quote=Samson](may or may not actually be him)[/quote] Is the writing style odd or something?

There's not enough of an email to judge the writing style. You have to understand though that emails coming through the blog contact form have no way to be verified as coming from who they say they are.

We've known for a long time that people from the guild watch this site. It wouldn't surprise me if Giskard himself does, in fact it wouldn't at all surprise me if he was a regular contributer. His name is "Anonymous". He talks to himself alot! (Rips of Samson's mask to reveal Giskard) Oh, yea: Actually, there is no way of knowing if *any* e-mail comes from the person it says it does. At best, you can verify that it came from that person's domain; even then: a) you don't know how many people in the house/business/library/what-ever-not use the computer. b) It's an assumption the person gave correct information to the ISP, and c) even if the domain doesn't match; that could mean the person went to starbucks.

[url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/showthread.php?644-Beware-of-BOSS!]To Samson[/url]; Giskard's revisionist post is more of the same, but I'm sure you'll just love Crashpilot's take on Clavitcus's hissie fit on the OBSE thread.

I must have missed something then. Are you talking about that argument I had with some guy over some mod I don't even remember now? The one where the guy pitched a fit about my not having read the whole conversation or something? The guy didn't have that reported. I didn't have it reported either. The mods expunged that record on their own, or possibly after someone else reported it. It had nothing to do with mod cleaning though, that's for sure. Also, I've seen that thread you just linked. It's beyond a revisionist post. It's more outright lies from Giskard. The guy at the end of the thread even tried to vandalize the CS wiki page thinking nobody would catch him doing it. Giskard is about the worst person to try to convince of anything. He makes my stubborn streak look diplomatic. NOBODY ever attacked him, or his mods, they only ever tried to offer advice and help and he spit in everyone's faces. I don't even know where he's getting that timeline of events in 2009. None of that ever happened the way he's describing. Certainly none of us "tool makers" ever took over maintenance of the cleaned versions of his mods, and nobody ever went around uploading those to all the mod sites out there. We'd have been banned by every last one of them by now if we had.

You'll have to point out this hissy-fit at some point. Other than that, none of that happened. At most, someone is using one or more of his mods and they're not quite working right and someone helps someone. Other than that...they actually very rarely come up on Nexus or the official forums.

[quote]I must have missed something then. Are you talking about that argument I had with some guy over some mod I don't even remember now? The one where the guy pitched a fit about my not having read the whole conversation or something? The guy didn't have that reported. I didn't have it reported either. The mods expunged that record on their own, or possibly after someone else reported it. It had nothing to do with mod cleaning though, that's for sure. [/quote] Yeah, I think it was that one (you posted on AFKmods about it and then a moderator at bethsoft cleaned up the thread there). I actually wonder if Giskard lives around his imagined allegations he makes about everyone and everything. You know, he just makes shit up so he can feel angry when he wakes up and be determined to do something or other.

Another lurker arrives... I've finally run out of excuses to put off registering here. :redface: I wouldn't be too surprised if that's true, actually. Seeing what he posted in that thread really leaves me at a loss for words... and that doesn't happen often. All I can say is that he is the most stuck-up, nightmarish person I've ever had the displeasure of noticing. If he wants to operate under the delusion that he is the greatest modder in the world, fine by me. I'm quite happy with where I am, though, with a Bashed Patch and over 100 mods installed and a rock-solid install. See how easy it is to prove him wrong? You just have to give a shit about what you do. And on the topic of the CS Wiki vandalism, it makes me quite happy that I keep mirrors of those lists. Any damage they do can be undone with nothing more than a few copy-pastes. :evil: /rant Oh, and I apologize for my cliched entry. :whistle:

Welcome Thomas! :smile: Normally Conner would give you a mice warm welcome, but since he isn't around right now I'll try and make up for that. [quote]I'm quite happy with where I am, though, with a Bashed Patch and over 100 mods installed and a rock-solid install. See how easy it is to prove him wrong? You just have to give a shit about what you do. [/quote] I was like that a couple of days ago, but then, while I was doing some relatively minor installing, my gaming install rolled over and died on me in a critical but unexplained manner. :sad: But what I can say is that the tools I use definitely aren't responsible, and wouldn't have gotten as far as I have in the first place without these tools