Giskard and False Accusations

Arthmoor

Well here's the funny thing. Giskard got all bent out of shape and yelled and screamed at the OOO team for "breaking" that container when he didn't bother to stop and look at an even more widely used popular mod that ALSO edits the container - the UOP. To that, I say, Giskard WTF were you thinking! The UOP did your work for you, there was never any need to edit the container in OMG at all! That said, I am looking at the container now in TES4Edit with OOO loaded and I don't see the issue. At all. OOO lists the substituted container with no respawn flag attached. So I don't see how Giskard ever had any need to touch the container at all. Much less to DELETE a vanilla item to replace it with his own copy. THAT breaks shit in so many ways it's not even funny. For far more people that just OOO users. He's broken it for UOP users as well. So the patch is needed to correct it for practically everyone who plays Oblivion with OMG installed. Nice move Giskard. Anyway, Petrus, the conflict you detected is a non-issue. It's a safe substitution. Of a type that the CS is incapable of doing, but the result is that it's not something you need to worry about.

Well, at least he had the sense to be pissed about having made a complete screw-up even if he choose to blame someone else for the screw-up. :rolleyes:

Well, as I see it, OOO did the correct thing in replacing the vanilla DrawerClutterUpperClothing02 "Drawers" [CONT:00024A56] with its own ZOOODrawerNoble02ClutterWizTraven "Exquisite Drawers" [CONT:08006D45] instead of editing the vanilla drawers. The most common mistake I see modders do is editing vanilla records, and especially containers, thus making all instances of that container, both vanilla and mod added, contain the loot that was really intended for only one or a few containers.

Yep, the UOP handles the replacement in a similar manner, it swaps the vanilla base object out for one of its own. [REFR:0006C4C5] (places DrawerClutterUpperClothingArchMages "Drawers" [CONT:020011CC] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of ICArcaneUniversityArchMagesQuarters "Arch-Mage's Quarters" [CELL:00049CF8]) The change is entirely compatible with what OOO does. Magic. A form of magic Giskard is incapable of casting because of his hateful distrust of TES4Edit. OOO takes it a step further though and also locks the chest and gives it faction ownership. No doubt because it puts some MG quest related rewards in there that the player would be able to steal too easily without it.

• 3 months later...
I decided I was going to search for 'why did Giskard leave' (mentioned way back near the topic of the article). I found [url=http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?5628-Giskard-how-did-you-mod-faction-colors]this.[/url] I'm not holding my breath on this one, but it could be the same guy. I'm going off that he is from the UK, writes his name at the bottom of some of his posts and whinges about site bandwidth. And he stops posting right around the time Oblivion was released. Its a long shot for sure, but it is possible. And sorry for necromancing, but when I found the above site I couldn't help it.

Yes, that's him. Same writing style. Same bogus excuses about his site's bandwidth being the reason. The pattern goes back quite a ways with him. Also, the link to "respawn" gave it away completely. That's one of his old sites. (I really need to work out some method for paging links)

:sigh: Pretty the Necromancer! In all seriousness, the page that came up for me on that link actually made Giskard look like he was a nice guy that made a relatively simple mod; and everyone else was going ga-ga over the fact he figured out how to tick a box.

[quote=dallen86]Pretty the Necromancer![/quote] :lol: [quote=Samson](I really need to work out some method for paging links)[/quote] Ooo, that'd be really awesome. :) Let's face it, Giskard considers himself a really nice guy who's making awesome mods, and there are some folks who go ga-ga over him. :shrug: Oh, and Prettyfly, one more clue for you, he'd told us all before (somewhere, no clue off-hand where now) that he'd modded for Total War (amongst other games) before too. :shrug:

Oh, and he's [url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/]back...[/url] :alien: He doesn't seem to be bearing too much of a grudge; just [url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/blog/990-the-elder-scrolls]this[/url] and [url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/oblivion-mods-unsupported]this[/url], and, well, every comment he makes on the Oblivion modding in the forums. So expect him to be making the consistent (albeit small) back handed comments towards the Oblivion community, though he doesn't seem to be interested in any flaming on the previous level...

He rips on the Oblivion community only because thus far it's been the only community to stand up to his aggressiveness and his lies. Criminal moderators? Good lord the guy's a total narcissistic delusional nutjob. They banned him because he was a troll, nothing more. All the others appear to have just ignored him entirely as he makes up crap about this and that and even slams the companies who are providing him the games he spends ages modding for. My feeling is, if you hate X so much, why do it? As far as flaming, it won't take him long to get back to that. It's all he knows.

And what do you know; [url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/blog/998-skyrim-support]here[/url] he goes again. Making specific reference to bashing and merging and cleaning and the likes.

[quote]Nobody is more aware of the problems within the Elder Scrolls community that I am, I suffered the worse of them so I am in a unique position to tackle them in Skyrim.[/quote] I don't know whether to laugh my ass of, or cry a tear of sorrow for him and his delusions. NONE of us knows what sort of issues lie in wait for us with Skyrim. Creation Kit != TES Construction Set. Creation Engine != Gamebryo. So anything we all have known about mods, compatibility, modeling, texturing, etc are likely to all be out the window. We're almost certainly all looking at starting fresh. Nobody knows if we'll need things like Wrye Bash or OBMM or TES4Edit. Whatever tools are needed, I trust that those who develop them are going to be the actual knowledgeable people in the field. Not the ones who exist in total isolation from the rest of community, cut off from a vast pool of knowledge and support that's the friendliest community I've ever been a part of. One that only turns on you if you thoroughly deserve it for being arrogant, narcissistic, hostile, or are giving out outright BAD information that will lead people to hosing their game. [quote]So I have been thinking, should we support Skyrim or just let them rot in their own hell hole.[/quote] Please, let us rot in our own "hell hole". We'll be doing just fine without you. My prediction for the future: He'll jump right in like he always does, make a bunch of mods, have no clue WTF he's doing, then call everyone trolls and hatemongers for pointing out that his mods aren't working. If I could afford to do so, I'd lay a $1,000 bet right now on it.

I'll just second prettyfly. This tiger's shown his stripes, and his toothless grin, and we've all heard his roar. At this point we already know he's not about to become spotted nor go bringing down a prize gazelle. ;) (and that's about the nicest analogy I'll bet anyone lays out for him anytime soon...)

[url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/blog/999-solving-mod-conflict-issues-beth-games]More of the same[/url] Bash, patch and merge is the cause of all the problems in the modding world and why people have problems with their game and CUO is compatible with everything, without patches (even though Giskard himself went to quite some length to ensure non-compatibility with some mods...)

Should go without saying that he's entirely full of shit. And again, he's not qualified to even mention Skyrim's mod system when nobody knows what it will be like. It might not even use the same ESM/ESP system. One thing is for certain though. All of his mods are filled with conflicts both of his own deliberate making and those of the CS's making that he didn't intend to have in the mod. It's this concept he doesn't grasp, or is stubbornly refusing to acknowledge, that causes the entire problem. He considers it an insult to point out that the CS make fake edits to thousands of records. Honestly, I don't know why you're bothering to read his site at all. Every last shred of advice he's giving is wrong.

Mostly because I like to lol at the shit he puts out. And I've got lots of spare time, so I've got room to read up on a delusional moron's rantings.

*shaking his head* So, basically, you're telling us that you're a masochist or a glutton for punishment due to boredom?

I've got spare time because I'm on holidays and I haven't really been feeling bored. Anyway, I find the guy funny. He's a joke. I read it so I can be amused by his ramblings.

I can kind of relate to that though I don't find him quite funny enough (as much as sad) to use him and his posts for entertainment. :shrug:

• 2 months later...
[url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/content.php?247-Returning-to-Oblivion-Modding]Duck and Cover[/url]!

[quote]Trolls have taken over the real modders abandoned work and are releasing tweaks every few months to harvest their kudos. Nothing but minor rehashes of the same old mods has led to the Official Oblivion mod forum barely managing a page of new replies a day.[/quote] Wow. Just as delusional as ever. The BGS Oblivion forum is easily still pulling in 3-4 pages worth of activity a day. Now if he were talking about the FO3 and F:NV forums he'd be right, those are lucky to see 4 pages of replies in a week. I'm not even sure what he means by rehashes of the same old mods. [quote]But the moment this news reaches certain city builders that will change because they love interfering with my modding fun.[/quote] Right, of course, because we sit and wait to see what he makes and then go out of our way to plop stuff down in his way. It would be more accurate to say that he's getting in our way and interfering with our modding fun since he decided to stick a bunch of stuff in the cities after we were there first :P Revisionist history as usual.