Giskard and False Accusations

Arthmoor

I have no idea what a OSR Heap mode is, but congratulations Tom. Does that include COE's? My sessions are about 3.5 hrs on a 32 OS. (It would be even more impressive if either of us were on a 64 OS.)

Welcome to the wonderful world of knowledgeable modding Thomas :) @Dallen: OSR = Oblivion Stutter Remover. It has as one of its functions the ability to replace Oblivion's memory manager. Mode 5 is the most stable method it has to do this, and when combined with a heap size of 1024MB the game is rock solid stable. A 3.5 hour session is easily possible. I'm on a 64 bit OS but OSR has great benefit even for 32 bit systems as long as one is careful not to overrun the 4GB memory limit. And no COE's here, thanks to [url=http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22410]FastExit 2[/url].

Ah. Streamline does a good job of taking care of the stutter on mine. I'm not sure it's set up for [i] the [/i] most optimal; but a) it's a big improvement over *not* and b) I'm not exactly running the biggest and fastest rig in the world. It also has an exit portion, but it doesn't work for me. All that happens is it takes longer to COE. (and longer for the *cancel* button on "windows is looking for..." dialogue to become push-able.) Off-topic aside: (I say as if anything in the last 3 posts have anything to do with the topic) Is anyone else mildly annoyed with "rate my rig posts"? You know the ones that are basically: Can I run Oblivion on my 5.8 Terahertz Octo-core with 800 Terabyte memory and 16 exobyte hard drive? Well, yes you can, however your rig will turn into a 1k abacus upon reaching the exit to the sewer.

I am not including COEs because I also use Fast Exit 2... what COEs do you speak of?

[url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/showthread.php?677-Your-ideal-way-of-mod-installation-load-orders-and-crash-prevention/page3]Giskard hard at work flaming, and then using his iron fist against another guild member who asked him whether that was really necessary.[/url] You know how you were talking about that cycle of 'trolls attacking and Giskard blaming Better Cities and shutting down the site?'

Sometimes I think he creates these accounts himself to post ill-worded "attacks" against his stuff. He gets to a point where people start to remember why he's considered a dick, and bam, troll account created to act like "the trolls have returned". Sad and pathetic. If he shuts down over this, then the cycle is shortening itself. I fully expect he will shut down again eventually, claiming the same thing, but it usually lasts a few months more than this. Now if only Giskard would ban himself from his own forum for violating his own rules. Wouldn't that be great?

Yeah, you've got to love the way he warns the guy for being disrespectful while he's bashing other peoples mods.

Actually, there was nothing 'disrespectful' about Rites' post. We've all seen far more pointed criticisms on Nexus. I find it interesting that Giskard suddenly needs initiates to defend him.

[quote]Part 2 was CUO, this was my overhaul, it copied every creature and NPC it needed, avoided anything I did not want to change and then used those copies. I created my own leveled lists for everything and then in an ESP NOT CURP, I added my leveled lists in to the game using a small handful of levelled lists used by the spawn markers, so I didnt even need to add new spawns to the world. This was good because as any house mod maker will tell you, custom spawns often placed monsters in the courtyard of your fancy castles and created major problems with those monsters killing off their NPCs. [/quote] THIS is compatibility? Don't make me laugh, we all know that the reason you do this is to create INcompatibility. You call the FCOM peeps hypocrites? Take a look a bit closer to home, you pillock. [quote]There are so many compatibility lessons in CUO and CURP for the Fcom trolls to learn from I expected them to back off and realise where they where going wrong and how unfair it was to target modders for the problems THEY CREATED, but they never learned a dam thing, they just kept on making the same mistakes just like all the bash patch and merge people.[/quote] Please get a friggin clue. You method BREAKS things, and bloats your plugins with trash edits. Again, forcing other mods not to work with yours is NOT compatibility, it's being a dickish modder. I ensure compatibility by AVOIDING edits in areas other mods have claimed. That allows for my own mod not to block out any content added by other mods (like yours will). [quote]So I kept on developing CUO, taking it in directions NO OTHER OVERHAUL could go in due their their design limitations.[/quote] See above. So once again, Giskard proves himself an ignorant fool, and then acts like a complete dick to another person when he gets called out on it (and the person he bitch-slapped was very mature about it, too). I must cool my feathers now, seeing the way Giskard treated that guy REALLY made me mad. I am really having to work hard not to go register on that site and give Giskard some what-for, but that would be quite against my interests, because: A: It gives him a reason to claim the sensible modders really are a bunch of trolls. and B: I would prefer to keep my provisional access to the Guild forums. EDIT: Oh, and one more thing, shall we take up [url=http://www.theengineeringguild.co.uk/entry.php?97-What-is-the-Cyrodiil-Upgrade]his challenge?[/url] If you know of a mod out there in mainstream distribution that does something similar to his own... please do tell. Let me start! Kvatch Rebuilt vs. Kvatch Aftermath/Kvatch Rising Better Cities/Open Cities vs. CUO Cities

OOO/MMM/Fcom vs. CURP/CUO (We might as well start with the obvious ;) ) AFKICTempleCleanup vs. TEC Temple of the One Wrye Bash vs. Copying stuff from folder A into folder B in the construction set.

I always got a good laugh out of his compatibility claims. It's too bad the BGS site purges old threads because Wrye gave the guy a thorough pasting over the whole issue and explained in detail why the CUO method of doing things is completely broken and doesn't actually work with anything other than itself. Anyone who knows anything about leveled lists would be able to tell you that - obviously Giskard can't because he knows fuck all about them. That said, I have no particular issue with how he sets up his individual creations to pass info between themselves. It does make them more integrated and allows things to fit better. Assuming the system actually performs the miracles he's claiming. It's not all together different from how my village mods make references to each other, or with other stuff I've done. The main difference is I've thus far done it using OBSE instead of a giant 2GB monster resource pack. Oh yes, I'm sure he failed to mention that fact on purpose because OBSE is one of the tools of evil. His "conflict avoidance system" is simply laughable. Deleting the vanilla reference and planting a duplicate of it with your own version isn't how you avoid issues. It's how you create them. But then he knows this and is doing it on purpose.

I wouldn't say his system "performs miracles", it just makes it so he has to do slightly less work on mods that come later. In and of itself, there's nothing wrong with that (CURP is fully mergable btw) just don't be saying it avoids conflicts it creates. The only thing you deleting Castle14f from the esm and pasting it into your mod does is make it so I can't use Castle14f in my mod. Oh, yea: OBMM/BAIN vs. manually redating everything

WTF is Castle14f? Something that used to be in CURP? And yes, I have to wonder about someone who won't use some sort of load order manager. The insanity of tracking down a reliable file redating utility that's not spyware just doesn't make sense when you have known working tools at hand.

Castle14f is a random resource name I made up to make a point. Happy? Obviously, if it was in CURP it would be "his" castle, and I wouldn't be using it.

The gist of it is that Giskard's Conflict Avoidance System attempts to avoid conflicts by CREATING them. I need not say any more.

If anyone wants to go back to that thread that I gave the link to a bit further up, Doombuggie (and others, for that matter) has reared his ugly head to show off just how misinformed and isolated their little community is. Though at least he seems willing to give some basic respect to other modders in the community.

Don't be fooled by Doombuggie. The guy is as much, if not more, of a scumbag as Giskard himself. The two were made for each other. Their ignorance is unmatched. The sad part is that there are some folks there on that forum that could one day become good modders, but they're being held back by bitterness, hatred, and a complete lack of knowledge of current techniques.

While I do agree with Doombuggie about FCOM adding too much into the game for my tastes (OOO on its own is plenty for me), he has is ideas about Bash completely and totally wrong. It simply takes one look into what it does for the leveled lists to understand this, the reason it makes mods like FCOM possible is because of its ability to take all of the edits they make to the game's leveled lists and seamlessly merge them together in a single plugin. And that's not to mention how it can save you space in your load order by merging certain plugins. Or how BAIN can completely eliminate the need to nuke your game folder if something goes wrong, too. Oh, and slightly off-topic, but on that regard: I, myself like to use mTES4 Manager to manage my multiple Oblivion installs. I did see the thread with the Norton flash-up about an attempt to access the Internet, but the problem there is that I do not trust Norton, and I do not consider Norton a trustworthy AV program. AVG does a very good job of stopping unwanted internet connections being made for me, and it never complained once about mTES4. For all I know, it probably was a false positive. The only difficulty is getting your clones set up properly, as the interface is very unintuitive and doesn't allow for any slip-ups. Once you do get it working, though, it is a godsend, allowing you to switch between multiple Oblivion configurations in seconds, and it is my primary means of keeping my installs separated. I've even set up separate BAIN folders for each install, as well (very handy, that). Remember, do not be prejudiced against your tools, or you are making the same mistake as those loons we rant about here. I gave mTES4 a chance, and it came through. :innocent:

When I started using a bashed patch a year or so back I saw all my problems disappear effectively in an instant. Obviously when I began to grow my load order I then began to run into new problems (mostly from simply putting to much pressure on the poor old laptop I was using at the time) but if it wasn't for the bashed patch I would've never got that far in the first place. Ironically, I'd put of using that tool for quite a while because I was intimidated by the prospect of having to learn to use it. And lo and behold, when I did give a go, well, it came through alright.

Same here. Actually, same with a lot of the utilities I take for granted now. Once I stopped being intimidated by the 32 page-only-a-computer-wizard-can-understand-this "read-mes"; using them was actually quite simple. Granted, there's still features on some I don't know how to use...but such is life I guess.

[quote]Don't be fooled by Doombuggie. The guy is as much, if not more, of a scumbag as Giskard himself. The two were made for each other. Their ignorance is unmatched. The sad part is that there are some folks there on that forum that could one day become good modders, but they're being held back by bitterness, hatred, and a complete lack of knowledge of current techniques.[/quote] There are people there now that *are* good modders. Among them: CNC (makes the meshes for G), Miss Wilde, (voice acting and scripts), others I can't think of right now. AFIK, Doombuggie is not a modder. and Giskard *is* a good modder; he just wants the community to serve him - not the other way.

[quote] Giskard *is* a good modder; he just wants the community to serve him - not the other way. [/quote] Very true, and if he were to stop acting like a complete asshole every second he got and grew the hell up and decided this "war" he is waging is not even worth fighting, he might have a chance to actually become a viable modder again. But you can't do that so long as you isolate yourself from the entire mainstream community by calling them a bunch of idiots and trolls when 99% of the rest of the world disagrees with your opinion.

[quote]Remember, do not be prejudiced against your tools, or you are making the same mistake as those loons we rant about here. I gave mTES4 a chance, and it came through.[/quote] I have a funny feeling this is directed toward me, since I reported the app was accessing the internet, so I've come to defend myself. :) You may have misread. There was no Norton pop-up. I just happened to be looking at it's firewall one day and noticed the access. No false positive. If it's accessing a firewall, it's accessing a firewall. :shrug: Not once have I put the app down, in fact, I recommend it to everyone. Just because it no longer works for me doesn't mean it won't work for others. Good luck. Once you get that can't switch error, there's no getting rid of it. No one even knows what that error really means, and since the author has disappeared.. oh well. I manage all my installs manually now until something better comes along (spoiler alert).