Starfield

Arthmoor

Well, lmstearn some discussion is already going on now in my thread in the Starfield forum, starting here.  And it goes, in my opinion, beyond being just unfriendly.

Edited by smr1957

All I can really say, is from what I know, and from what I have heard, and the situation being as it stands now, I find it extremely difficult to support what Pickysaurus and Nexus are attempting to do.  And despite all the rationalizations from would be apologists who would wish to have it presented in a more neutral manner as something being done for purely good hearted reasons as something intended to benefit the community, I really just don't see it as that.

Edited by smr1957

Hell. I'm trying to stay neutral in my thread as regards the issue, so as to foster a better discussion about the issue, but truth be told, I am finding that hard to do.  And I don't want to talk out of turn by stating things second hand - even if it is referencing a quote from here - as it is better if individuals post the issues as they actually are, and as they see them, themselves.

Edited by smr1957

47 minutes ago, lmstearn said:

Hey, that's pretty unfriendly, even if it was intended as some kind of joke.

What's wrong with a Community Patch and an Unofficial Patch running in tandem anyway, as one is eventually bound to end up the same way as SMPC. :P

HMMMMM, sounds like they bit off more than they could chew, reading the reasons why they blocked the mod seem suspect and trying to shift the blame.

28 minutes ago, Pseron Wyrd said:

Thanks, Pseron!  I posted a link to it over in The Coffee Pod thread in the Steam Starfield forum, as well as in the Helpful Links and References thread there.

Edited by smr1957

11 hours ago, lmstearn said:

Hey, that's pretty unfriendly, even if it was intended as some kind of joke.

What's wrong with a Community Patch and an Unofficial Patch running in tandem anyway, as one is eventually bound to end up the same way as SMPC. :P

Actually the much more likely outcome is that both patches exist separately and it creates a permanent schism in the community. SMPC didn't have the backing and monopoly power of Nexus behind it.

The biggest problem I see is that it's been difficult or impossible to explain to PIcky just how toxic the individuals are that he's selected as project leads. Especially since Nexus hired one of them and Darkone approves of the exclusionary tactics (they were his idea after all). I'm not sure what more I can possibly tell him when the two previously mentioned people both have his ear and the ability and willingness to fabricate anything they want as "evidence" of why our team shouldn't be allowed to operate an independent project. Much less to be allowed to participate in theirs. And let's be clear, this isn't just about them wanting to lock us out of helping with their work, it's very much about locking us out of ever producing a patch of our own at all. Which is precisely what the people running the show there accuse us of on a regular basis.

I know it's going to sound pretty harsh, but unless Picky is willing to assert his authority and kick the toxic elements out of it, all the rest of us can really hope for is that it dies on the table and goes nowhere.

I'd love to be proven wrong here but I've been around the block a few times. I'm not expecting that to happen based on past experience.

I see that you posted in The Coffee Pd thread about the patch issue, Arthmoor - thanks!  I wanted it to come direct from you, as you are the proper person to address the issue - no one better.

Very good post in The Coffee Pod,  Arthmoor.  I also posted there that if anyone from Pickysaurus' team wished to lay out their view of the matter, they are welcome to do so as well, but somehow I get the feeling that won't be happening anytime soon, if ever.

Edited by smr1957

it's not much of a community patch if well, some of the community is not welcome to participate.

Obviously Robin himself is the elephant in this room of turmoil, so he'll want to put on the table what exactly the problem he has with any contributions made by the members of the UP team, or anyone else for that matter. And hopefully, a more meaningful discussion than in this issue, which by the way is visually not too much of an eyesore for visitors. The bottom line for folks who want to report a bug is just how the site looks and feels, will it function for them in the same way AFKMods does,- that will be only requiring the test of time.

The idea of encoding and decoding everything to YAML as with their Skyrim page is interesting, the point of it may come clear at some stage.

Edit: Here's hoping they at least include linkage to sites like this one or the UESP (@ScytheBearer mentioned others) who have been building an info & fan base for years.

Edited by lmstearn
  • Like 2

He's made his stance on myself and the team pretty clear I think. To the extent that he's openly said he'll refuse anything we upload that covers patching Starfield. Which as I said before is him DOING what people only accuse us of.

As for that issue, it's a test issue. There's no discussion to be had on it? I'm sure it'll be functionally the same as what we already have and have been using for years without a problem. That's not the issue. The issue is they're throwing their weight behind it to make it dominate the pack and their motivation for doing so is not good.

10 hours ago, Arthmoor said:

He's made his stance on myself and the team pretty clear I think. To the extent that he's openly said he'll refuse anything we upload that covers patching Starfield. Which as I said before is him DOING what people only accuse us of.

As for that issue, it's a test issue. There's no discussion to be had on it? I'm sure it'll be functionally the same as what we already have and have been using for years without a problem. That's not the issue. The issue is they're throwing their weight behind it to make it dominate the pack and their motivation for doing so is not good.

Yes, people have a way of twisting things and accusing the aggrieved party of exactly what it is the other party is doing - as I see only too well being applied to me in the Steam forums and as regards the Coffee Pod thread in the Steam Starfield forum.  And the sad thing is, the more you try to defend yourself and point out the facts, the more people say "See!  There you go again!" - and they hate on you all the more.

Yep, sadly it's a no-win scenario because haters gonna hate and they'll lie to be able to continue being haters.

On 8/7/2023 at 8:08 AM, fibretomz said:

I'll be waiting to make sure that Starfield isn't just a space colony building simulator with some action RPG elements tossed in that half work

I am usually a sceptic as well with new releases, that is Bethesda ones at any rate but I have fallen into the trap of pre ordering this time. Partly because I have become over used to the existing Skyrim/Fallout games, burn out (or at least that's what I tell myself) and become totally desperate for something new from Bethesda. It has been a long time!

But also it Starfield does look very promising, I know, I know, some old fools like me never learn. :rolleyes:

Some folks are having trouble accessing today's developer Q&A with Will Shen and Emil Pagliarudo.  So here is a live stream from Starfield Signal of the session.  The answers begin around the 15 minute mark.  

The question I wanted to see asked was "When it the projected availability for the Starfield Creation Kit (or its equivalent)". 

Thanks for posting that link, Pseron!  And I'm with Uncus on this - what more needs to be said?

Heck, even Etienne, my character and gaming alter ego, feels that a jump across the planes of the multiverse is imminent, and is finishing up all business in all alternate realms. :D

• Haha 2

But, as part of NexusMods continuing efforts to dominate the modding field, the mod author channels are closed unless one is a NexusMods verified mod author with a linked account. 

Also of interest is this interview with Pete Hines.  Extremely interesting and gives a really good perspective on things from the viewpoint of a game developer.

Edited by smr1957