[WIPz] TES5Edit

zilav

I was using 3.0.31. Here is the Dropbox link to the file to before I tried editing that NavMesh - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ijds78vxnuzmzf/Light%20Stone%20Manor.rar

I am not quite done fiddling with this.  However, the error is no longer there for a reason.  I normally load any plugin I am going to look at into the CK.  Then I look at the errrors in EditorWarnings.txt.  Unless they refer to DLC they need to be resolved.  There were NavMesh errors in Tamriel -20, -1 that you needed to fix.  There were also issues in the interior cell for the Hall.  Remember when you see errors like "PATHFINDING: Navmesh xxxxxxxx Cell '[Whatever you Cell Name Is]' (xxxxxxxx), Triangle 370 Edge 1 and Triangle 282 Edge 1 should be linked, but they are not."  Those need to be resolved and you are not gonna resolve them in TES5Edit.  You have to go to the NavMesh in the CK and fix it.

So far this is what I did:

Loaded the plugin in the CK

Resolved Overlapping Triangles in Wilderness Tamriel -20, -1

Finalized NavMesh for Tamriel -20, -1

Resolved Overlapping Triangles for Interior Cell LCMHall

Finalized NavMesh for Interior Cell LCMHall

Saved Plugin with the CK

Cleaned Plugin

Resolved 4 Deleted NavMeshes, and Finalized the cells where I had the undeleted NavMeshes.

Saved Plugin with the CK

Cleaned Plugin

No errors and no Deleted Navmeshes.

I tried to copy NavMesh (000E8666), delete it, undelete, save, reload. Works fine for me, so I don't know. There was a similar report recently for navmeshes in FO3Edit, either a coincidence or some very rare bug which I can't reproduce.

• Like 1

Hi, TES5Edit devs. First of all, thanks for this unvaluable tool that makes life much more easier for all level modders. I have a request for you.

I'm achieving very, very numerous typo fixes in the french version of Skyrim. As I absolutely do not want to make an esp that would thus be filled with incalculable records (and a perfect candidate for conflicts with other mods), I want to port all typos directly into the related Strings files. In other words, I want to edit the text fields from Skyrim.esm, and only the text fields. And, as Skyrim.esm is THE holy esm that should absolutely not be touched in any way, TES5Edit doesn't allow it. Well, we have the opportunity to do it by accessing the Localization/Editor, but it's really a PITA to find the proper entry for a specific 'item'.

Here's an example : Let's say that I want to edit the text from the book 'The Firmament' (0001ACD2). I have absolutely no mean to do it in a 'regular' way... I'm actually using a hackish and tricky method to achieve this. This works perfectly fine, but the TES5Edit loading time just after 'plugins-to-load' selection is extremely long (about 2 minutes) before I can do anything...

Could you implement an exception, so as the various text fields from Skyrim.esm would become easily editable, as any other official esm (Update and all DLCs esms) or localized esps ones ? :)

I'm assuming you made a copy of skyrim.esm and string files and loading it in TES5Edit to edit? It takes long because TES5Edit builds references for all files with load order > 0. Hlp already added an exclusion list for files to skip building references internally, I'll probably expose it somewhere in options so you wil be able to add your copy there and speed up loading process greatly.

• Like 1

I made a copy of Skyrim.esm, renamed the extension to esp, added Skyrim.esm as a master with Wrye Bash.

Actually, if I want to fix a typo, I do the following :

- make a scratch esp in the CK, containing the fixed typo

- open TES5Edit

- check the scratch esp, Skyrim.esm and Skyrim.esp

- take a coffee while TES5Edit handles the loading process   :coffee: There are a bunch of warnings, but this is no matter for what I'm doing. All I want is a fake esp sharing the same Strings files as Skyrim.esm, but with editable fields.

- go to the modified record in the scratch esp

- drag'n drop the text field from the scratch esp column to the one in Skyrim.esp column

- close TES5Edit, checks only the modified Strings files so as they are saved

And this is very, very useful when there are very,very numerous typo fixes... :D

Why esp? Why adding original Skyrim.esm as a master?

Just copy Skyrim.esm to Skyrim2.esm for example and string files too, that's all. When you'll be able to skip building references for it, it'll load blazing fast.

@Sharlikran

What do you mean under "export"? Those tools don't import anything, they just modify string files directly as TES5Edit does.

• Haha 1

Why esp? Why adding original Skyrim.esm as a master?

Just copy Skyrim.esm to Skyrim2.esm for example and string files too, that's all. When you'll be able to skip building references for it, it'll load blazing fast.

Only for conveniency and my own user comfort... As I also make many typo fixes in DLCs, their Strings files are also present in my Strings folder. Plus, as I'm the 'official' french translator for Arthmoor's unofficial patches, I also need to have all the english strings files for Skyrim, Update, all DLCs in order to build and (moreover) update the proper translation dictionnaries to automate efficiently and quickly the most parts of the upcoming releases. Same thing for various other mods which I handle the translation updates. My Strings folder is very populated. Plus, doing this in this way allows me to quickly play the game with the modified Strings files, without having to rename them constantly.

I'm aware that my request is very specific and will probably have no use at all for generic users. I agree that Skyrim.esm should remain an untouched sanctuary, but Beth' chose to externalize all the texts. And as long as altering the text doesn't alter the esm...  :shrug:

Improving TES5Edit in this way might not be easily feasible, I don't know (I have nearly zero programming skills, and you are the programmers :D). It may probably not be worth the effort to do it as there will have few benefits for common users. So, could a custom script handle this task ?

My request should only be taken as... a simple request. Absolutely no complaining here. But you can make me saving tons of coffee...  :P

@Sharlikran

What do you mean under "export"?

Those tools don't import anything, they just modify string files directly as TES5Edit does.

I thought you disabled the localization function in 3.0.27 and recommended people use StrEdit. Which gave me the impression that TES5Edit didn't alter the strings files at all. I am just asking about it for my personal knowledge.

EDIT: I am playing with TES5Edit now to see what it does. I never changed the strings files for anything before.

a) I see you can edit the strings files directly. It's not a binary equal though with only the changes I made to the one string I tested.

I thought you disabled the localization function in 3.0.27 and recommended people use StrEdit. Which gave me the impression that TES5Edit didn't alter the strings files at all. I am just asking about it for my personal knowledge.

a) I see you can edit the strings files directly. It's not a binary equal though with only the changes I made to the one string I tested.

I disabled translation, not localization.

Not binary equal? Don't remember details, but I'm sure it works correctly since it has been used by several mods including previous versions of USKP, and there were no reports about string files saved by TES5Edit.

• Like 1

I disabled translation, not localization.

Ahhhhhh I see.

Not binary equal? Don't remember details, but I'm sure it works correctly since it has been used by several mods including previous versions of USKP, and there were no reports about string files saved by TES5Edit.

I doubt that anything is wrong, I'm just making an observation. I'm not trying to ask for any changes or updates either. I am just trying to be more aware of what it does.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys kill the case sensitivity fix at some point? I just found out that somewhere along the way the UOP has lost a capitalization fix for the Skingrad city sign because Edit ignored the change in case and counted it as an ITM when it's not.

It's an ACTI record in this case, the FULL field. Fixing the text from "SkinGrad" to "Skingrad" since the G should not be capitalized.

That's strange, FULL fields keep case in all of the records. I've just tried to copy some named activator from Skyrim.esm and change the case, it is marked as override like it should be.

• Like 1

Is this also working for Oblivion? Because that's where I was doing this. UOP = Unofficial Oblivion Patch. :P

Nope, only in Skyrim. We kind of decided not to alter anything for previous games to preserve "compatibility", but if you wish this can be extended for all games.

ps. Damn I spent too much time on this game, even "Skingrad" didn't ring a bell :)

• Like 1

Uploaded a new "Happy New Year" version :obliviongate:

@Nico Coin
You can now add plugins to skip building references for in Options, or hold Shift when clicking OK in plugins selector to skip all of them. Should increase loading times greatly if you are using a copy of Skyrim.esm for translation.

Link in the first post.

• Like 1

Quick script request - find all objects in a particular cell/location which have the defaultDisableHavokOnLoad script attached to them.

Reason - such objects can, if taken (picked up), cause a lot of unnecessary log errors. #13564 contains a good example of this. Trying to find those objects is a time consuming task because the CK only lists the base objects using the script, not the actual objects (FormID) in the location. This would help enormously when trying to isolate the offending object.

How the results are shown is probably immaterial - a text file listing them, restricting the existing view(s) to just those objects, highlighting them (foreground/background) - whichever is easiest to do.

Could also be expanded to allow searching for any script, though that's not part of this request.

Thanks Zilav. :) I'll try this new release next week. Many thanks to the xEdit team.

:partyhorker: Happy new year and best wishes from the french Elder scrolls community !  :partyhorker: