Random Stuff

Arthmoor

I'm waiting for the full NV package to come out in February (at which point I will cease using the pirated PC copy I have, although I do have a legal PS3 copy already). Knowing what the prices are like in Australia though, I'm suspicious they'll dump the thing on me for $80 though, but since they shift the thing at something like $40 anyway and the DLC's for 15$ each, well, its less of a rip off.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Compared to most of my friends I'm not that bad. Every single guy in my year got Skyrim when it came out, but I was the only one who bought a legal copy. :tongue: One guy we even call 'the phat pirate' because he's overweight and has so many terabytes worth of pirated stuff I'm not sure how he keeps coming up with new things to download.

Steam had F:NV for crazy prices around Christmas, too. I've been sitting on top of all of the various DLC for a while now, but haven't sat down and played through. Probably my next game now that I've gone through both Mass Effects.

That guy, the "phat pirate", that was me. Except not fat. I used to have a collection of stuff so large, and cared so little about who knew I had it, that I carried it around with me in two duffel bags. Of course this wasn't terabytes of stuff since it was all on floppy disks, but still. Of all the people I knew, I had the largest collection of warez. Probably at least half of it I never looked at, but was still useful for trading copies for stuff I did want. I sometimes think I kept the floppy disk industry alive singlehandedly :PI grew out of that phase long ago after realizing that supporting the developers I loved economically was far more beneficial in the long run. I don't even know what became of all those disks, or the duffel bags even. 25 years is a long time to remember back...

It was through universities. We helped a friend contact family in Bosnia at the time - it was the only way to reach them. Oh the gold ol' days... *sigh*Also more backlash from the MegaVirus takedown - Xae has posted some links in Thomas' SOPA thread.

I heard back from Buddah. He did get the comments thread going again. He thinks some sort of glitch caused the thread to disappear and all the previous posts are lost, which doesn't bother me a bit. It was more than a thousand posts long.

I can't say my expectations are too high for that game; I'm expecting Skyrim with guns rather than anything like New Vegas. And as for the writing, well, how many ways could that go wrong?Still, maybe it will signal a change in the pattern for the next generation of consoles; Fallout games will get the shitty optimization rather than the TES games.I actually hang out on those forums a bit, for that matter. The Fallout Dinosaurs are an interesting bunch; they say a lot of worthwhile things although I'm not entirely keen on their idea for the return of a node based map. As well as needlessly complicating things with twenty four skills and stuff like that.

Speaking of optimizations, you guys are aware the 1.4 beta patch went public, right? Users across the board are reporting some phenomenal fps gains which render TESVAL and SkyBoost both obsolete.

I can't say my expectations are too high for that game; I'm expecting Skyrim with guns rather than anything like New Vegas. And as for the writing' date=' well, how many ways could that go wrong?

Still, maybe it will signal a change in the pattern for the next generation of consoles; Fallout games will get the shitty optimization rather than the TES games.

I actually hang out on those forums a bit, for that matter. The Fallout Dinosaurs are an interesting bunch; they say a lot of worthwhile things although I'm not entirely keen on their idea for the return of a node based map. As well as needlessly complicating things with twenty four skills and stuff like that.[/quote']

Speaking of optimizations' date=' you guys are aware the 1.4 beta patch went public, right? Users across the board are reporting some phenomenal fps gains which render TESVAL and SkyBoost both obsolete.[/quote']Yeah, I saw the patch notes - interesting, no?Almost want to buy the game now. Instead I bought Dragon Age: Awakening for $8 and Theme Hospital (again) to post to my sister, she wants her own copy.

Speaking of optimizations' date=' you guys are aware the 1.4 beta patch went public, right? Users across the board are reporting some phenomenal fps gains which render TESVAL and SkyBoost both obsolete.[/quote']That was the goal, to make TESVAL obsolete by getting Beth to do this. Looks like it worked. Arisu should be happy.

Even on my beastly rig I've noticed 1.4 has made things much smoother and more fluid. They did a hell of a job on this one. I should go see if my Argonian can get his house in Windhelm now :P

Yeah, the 1.4 patch is a godsend.I can now maintain a constant 60 FPS in the Rift, when before it would often drop to about 40. Bethesda definitely heard the PC users and the popularity of TESVAL and SkyBoost. AND load and save times have decreased, too.Worth the wait already, and I've only tested it for about 10 seconds. :smile: But I won't be able to do much playing with 1.4 until my SKSE mods are updated (Elys Uncapper and SkyUI).

That's pretty much it. It stems from the old MUD we used to run. Quoted from the readme from our old codebase:

January 2002:After a little over 4 years of tinkering and such, we've decided to release ourwork to others. The decision was somewhat spur of the moment, due in part to theoverall decrease in player traffic frequenting the mud. We figured that if we wereno longer going to have the traffic to sustain regular interest that the code atleast should not go to waste.Over the last 6 months or so many of the staff members took to idling on the mudjust for the hell of it. Sometimes to the point of being disconnected. After awhile,this led to the nickname AFKMud. The name stuck, and so it was chosen for the nameto give the codebase as it is now. We hope you can derive as much enjoyment from thiswork as we have over the years. Good luck with your mud :)
Which, strangely enough, I just had to retrieve from a 9 year old archive file because that readme is NOT in the current version's code repository. WTF?

That's pretty much it. It stems from the old MUD we used to run. Quoted from the readme from our old codebase:
January 2002:

Which' date=' strangely enough, I just had to retrieve from a 9 year old archive file because that readme is NOT in the current version's code repository. WTF?[/quote']Last time I looked at job postings, about 4 years ago, there were two job postings from a bank WTF loan manager and WTF loan assistant. Can't remember the name of the bank but those postings sure were funny.

The compiler optimization was a PC-only patch' date=' it won't affect consoles.[/quote']Is that ALL the patch does then? Surely there's a bug fix patch coming for all platforms?(Yes, I'm being ignorant. I refuse to even look at the BGS Skyrim forum.)