Random Stuff

Arthmoor

It's probably to my everlasting shame that, as much as I try to come up with an in Soviet Skyrim joke, I can't think of a good one.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arthmoor

• Dwip

• Sigurð Stormhand

• AndalayBay

Okay, so I jsut discovered a flaw in how I was accomplishing a certain feature of my economics mod, so I saw three options to fix it:A: Write a simple script to alleviate it and attach it to the vanilla merchant containers (not ideal, as it would cause compatibility problems and make my mod subject to the saved scripts bug).B: Write a complex script to handle it all through a quest, avoiding both the problems of A.C: Call the bug a feature and move on.Guess what I chose?

Yup, you guys are correct.I'm already editing the vanilla merchant containers to adjust their contents (too high-volume a job to accomplish through scripting), but I have allowed that because I know that any compatibility problems there can be alleviated with the Bashed Patch. Adding scipts to them was, for me, too much, both because that would open up even more compatibility problems (if the containers were overridden by another mod, they would lose their link to the scripts), and it would also make my mod a pain in the ass to uninstall.Thus I contemplated C for awhile (the lazy way out), but then I hit a breakthrough after studying a similar script someone else wrote, and have now definitively decided on B.And considering I have had all of two weeks to work with Papyrus with my only previous coding knowledge being a long-forgotten course in Visual Basic and the old scripting, I'm feeling pretty proud of myself right now.EDIT: And my mod is SO not going to reach its full potential with me currently unable to script changes to item values.

Bad news: turns out my uber-complex control script was so incredibly awesome the game couldn't handle the sheer awesomeness and was crashing at startup.The good news: I think I've found and removed the source of the crash. Looks like I'll be needing to convert some of my FormLists to Arrays. And thankfully, the ones I need to convert are also the shortest.

I've just become a member of the stolen mods club, or at least the name. Oh joy. Somebody has released a mod called Skyrim XP.I don't think it's the same as Oblivion XP or what I was planning on developing for Skyrim, but he's stolen the name I was going to use and the two mods will get confused. I've asked the Nexus admins to rename it, but even if they do, he's released it on Steam Workshop as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm really thinking of not bothering.

Wow, that really sucks. There's no respect in the Skyrim community, just adds to the plus of my decision not to be part of it.But, asking Nexus admins to arbitrarily change a mod name? Really?Maybe, just maybe, you should try talking to the author.

Yeah I have PM'd him. We'll see if he renames it. I need to give him the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions. It's just that I had posted my WIP thread Feb 7th and he just released his mod the other day, so I felt he was undercutting me. But maybe not - it might be unintentional. We'll see.

Yeah I have PM'd him. We'll see if he renames it. I need to give him the benefit of the doubt before jumping to conclusions. It's just that I had posted my WIP thread Feb 7th and he just released his mod the other day' date=' so I felt he was undercutting me. But maybe not - it might be unintentional. We'll see.[/quote']If he refuses, you have every right to complain to both Nexus and Steam -- contact GStaff at BethSoft about the one on Steam about his stealing the name. GStaff has said they will take action.Later: I did report the mod on Nexus. And somehow, I do not think his use of the name was inadvertent.

Thanks Ysne. Yeah' date=' that's what I thought too. We'll see how he responds and if he doesn't change it, I'll see about contacting Gstaff.[/quote']How could it be available to work with steam workshop when it requires SKSE and workshop doesn't support SKSE? Something sounds pretty fishy there too.

Just my opinion, not trying to invoke any hard feelings....but probably will.Nobody has an exclusive right to a mod name. I don't see why Beth or any hosting site would do anything about it. What he did is morally unacceptable (if you can prove he did it on purpose) to the community but certainly not illegal.

Yeah, the Skyrim modding community is extremely cutthroat. Even a whisper of a WiP means you could be looking at someone stealing your whole idea and running with it knowing full well they're capitalizing on your prior reputation.Of course, I'm given to understand a lot of the people doing this migrated over from the New Vegas side of things and apparently that's "just how it is" on their side of the fence.Edit: Having looked at his mod thread now, I think you should continue working on yours Andalay. The dude is coming across as extremely clueless and is including a lot of really terrible game breaking type features, like EVERY body becoming an ash pile on death. Plus he doesn't seem to know how to do quests, and I can't see this operating correctly without one.

Just my opinion' date=' not trying to invoke any hard feelings....but probably will.

Nobody has an exclusive right to a mod name. I don't see why Beth or any hosting site would do anything about it. What he did is morally unacceptable (if you can prove he did it on purpose) to the community but certainly not illegal.[/quote']I have a hunch that SkyrimXP is the exception that makes the rule as far as right to a name goes. There are not many other circumstances that would qualify.

The last two comments on that mod are a nice breath of fresh air, seems AndalayBay is not the only one on the site that noticed that the guy is potentially capitalizing on SirFrederick's (and her own) fame with Oblivion XP. Two people have just asked the author to rename the project so people know that it is NOT the successor to Oblivion XP.Also the author's "I'm going to do this over because everything is broken" comment does not spur me on very well to grabbing the mod. Some things are best kept to yourself. :rolleyes:

You know, the Skyrim modding community just looks ripe for producing a whole cadre of Giskard-esque characters, based on how people are acting there now.

Well no need to worry. DarkenDE has agreed to rename his mod if he continues working on it. He said he picked a new name already. I got a lot of support on the Beth forums as well - it was really nice to see. I didn't realize so many people were following Skyrim XP. No pressure... :tongue:I guess I'd better get cracking now. :lol:

Well no need to worry. DarkenDE has agreed to rename his mod if he continues working on it. He said he picked a new name already. I got a lot of support on the Beth forums as well - it was really nice to see. I didn't realize so many people were following Skyrim XP. No pressure... :tongue:

I guess I'd better get cracking now. :lol:

I'm glad to hear that.

I fail to see this as a case of bullying. Andalay's WiP thread has existed for weeks, this guy came out of nowhere and clearly knew this ahead of time and used the name anyway.

Yup' date=' glad to see the community supports bullying. :rolleyes: [/quote']I certainly didn't bully him. I sent him a PM asking him if he would rename his mod because I was porting Oblivion XP to Skyrim, so people would expect the successor to Oblivion XP to be called Skyrim XP.I also stated several times on Bethesda that I intended to port Oblivion XP to Skyrim and it would be called Skyrim XP. And as Arthmoor says, I also had a WIP post.